Science Forums

Riddles

infamous

yeah thats what I was trying to say... How about the grandfather paradox(or grandmother)

If you went back in time and killed your grandfather what would happen? well assuming it was before your father/mother was born than you wont be born - then you wont be able to come back and kill him in the future so you will be born...and so on

He meant that you can't give a correct answer. And he was also right about the fly and the spider! ;)

Before looking at Buffy's answer, I though it was because the crosswalk chewed it!!! ;)

Actually, the original meaning of the word 'paradox' is somewhat like double, or contrary, opinion. Many paradoxes are things that have a correct answer but contrary to what might seem obvious, or things that might have two answers according to two different arguments, both correct or both seemingly correct. In some cases both answers may be correct, it only depends on something not being well specified in the question.

An example is the paradox known as the Monty Hall problem because of the "Let's Make A Deal" game. The answer considered correct is seemingly against common sense, but is a non-obvious consequence of something that can, in practice, be supposed. If the same thing were false then the more obvious answer would be exactly right. It's a resolvable paradox, but what is the "thing" that the answer depends on? ;)

Russel's paradox and Epimenides' are examples of when neither 'yes' nor 'no' makes sense.

... How about the grandfather paradox(or grandmother)

If you went back in time and killed your grandfather what would happen? well assuming it was before your father/mother was born than you wont be born - then you wont be able to come back and kill him in the future so you will be born...and so on

There’re actually some serious resolutions of this paradox. Rather than clutter this riddle thread with a non-riddle post, I’ve started a new thread for it.

because there all girls?

two friends are chatting:

- Peter, how old are your children?

- well Thomas, there are three of them and the product of their ages is 36.

- Thats not enough...

- THe sum of their ages is exactly the numer of beers we have drunk

- That is still not enough.

- Ok,the last thing is that my oldest son wears a red hat.

How many years has each of Peter's children?