Science Forums

IQ Scores

Dark Mind

last time i checked it was 135

but math and language aptitudes skew the results... especially since i'm not particularly gifted with math or languages, just was fluent in two languages and trying (failing miserably) to learn japanese.

as for the math, its geometry and visual math i'm better at, formulaic math is not my forte.

also age is a very important factor, simply by experience and relearning and using things often (practice) helps to perfect skills and sharpen aptitudes.

best to take the test in the mid teens, then once more when entering college, then for fun after starting a career. you'll notice that your score will increase with each retaking of the test (not just because you know how it works, but because you'll understand more about the subject of the questions and if not a specific answer the means to deduce the most correct answer).

I was under the impression that IQ tests did not measure language skills per se, but the ability to see relationships between two words. There are of course IQ tests for different age groups and different language groups, perhaps you took the wrong test for your group alxian.

I actually am under the impression that as we grow older our intelligence on certain subjects will decrease. We will become more specialized in the area in which we deal every day, but lose our abilities in other areas. Thus is why I keep coming back to Hypography. It keeps my mind active on any number of issues, particularly math and physics as those are my formal training, but I am working in computers now.

I actually am under the impression that as we grow older our intelligence on certain subjects will decrease. We will become more specialized in the area in which we deal every day, but lose our abilities in other areas.

An interesting point, but I'd be more inclined to argue that our intelligence does not so much "decrease," but instead becomes less "plastic." There is the old addage of use it or lose it, but it will more likely become a rigid concept without opportunity for refinement, as opposed to just disappearing slowly with each passing moment.

I actually am under the impression that as we grow older our intelligence on certain subjects will decrease. .

A common unproved assumption.

One of the many "Ageism" myths?

"Age and cunning will always beat youth and inexperience"

On some tests (Eg: "Age Effects in Coding Tasks: Componential Analysis and Test of the Sensory Deficit Hypothesis") there is a significant decline in performance between with age. There’s compelling evidence that much of this loss has to do with loss of sensory acuity, particularly visual, and that more complicated visual recognition is less impacted than simple.

I can easily imagine that I would be effectively much dumber if my ability to read were impaired. Regrettably, nearly all people can expect to experience a steady decline in vision as they age.

• 3 weeks later...

I can easily imagine that I would be effectively much dumber if my ability to read were impaired. Regrettably, nearly all people can expect to experience a steady decline in vision as they age.

The greatest difference was seen on the coding of the simpler symbols that contained diagonal features. Yet on the complex symbols each group was closely matched.

Visual loss is not universal or restricted only to the older person.

Visual loss does not necessarily affect reading ability.

Reading ability/disability does not necessarily increase "dumbness"

This is yet another example of prejudicical, illogical "Ageism" thinking.

There is just as much "less plastic" thinking in youth as there is in older people. Another Ageism myth.

Here is another example (An email I just sent)

I would like to object to the prejudiced, unfounded, silly, ageism

crap in the article "Harry Robinson asks"

http://www.the-funneled-web.com/

ie.,

> > "They are also states attracting young migrants from the more sclerotic areas of NSW and Victoria. Younger people bring clearer visions with them. After all, it is younger professionals who are pushing the boundaries of computer aided design in architecture and engineering, younger adventurers who are trying to slit open new envelopes of electronic games, younger people who are writing and performing "new" music."

>

This is nonsense, depreciating the value of older people, and as such

is not worth the space on your website. (A friend of mine who is 68YO

invented CAD in engineering! )

Straight A Student: NO

Been to On-Level Classes: YES

Been to Special Ed: YES

Been to "Horizons" Classes: YES

Been to K-Level Classes: YES

Been to AP Classes: YES

Recieved AP Credit: Almost 1

Been to Community College: YES

Been to a University: YES

Failed a History Class: YES

Likes easy teachers: YES

Likes Victorian Writers: NO

Likes Fiction: NO

Likes American History: For what's worth IMO

Math: Easy enough to be half-a-sleep and get an A with teacher that fails many students

Likes Physics: YES, but I'm no garage fanatic

IQ: more than one

Graphic below from IQ Test.com (my scores).

post-3523-128210092713_thumb.png