Science Forums

Damn, I am stuck in computer terms.

I thought resolution means the graphics quality of a screen, but it is not. It is the size width*length of the screen. Then how do we call that: the term for the quality of a screen could display as graphics? Like the better it is, the lesser those messy dots are on the screen--which you could view many things on screen better view?

It is the size width*length of the screen.
in pixels!

For a given size in inches, more pxels means they are smaller, hence images can have smaller detail. Since the size of things is usually fixed in pixels, it makes the same things smaller too. It does however allow sw designers to make graphics with more pixels and therefore with more detail.

3 things you should concern yourself about, well actually 4:

1) max resolution (determines the size of the grain, the larger resolution, the smaller the grain, the better)

2) pitch (the distance between pixels, once again the smaller the better)

3) max refresh rate (higher is better for your eyes, better monitor)

4) reproduction of black color (higher end monitors (like apple) have better reproduction of black color then cheap and bad ones, remember that black is the hardest to reproduce on lcd and plasma monitors, so the blacker the better :shrug: )

forgot, also take a look at the white, the whiter the white, the better, and if it is the color of a dirty sock, well, not all that great (basically the color test gives you the idea of the range of color reproduction, which is the biggest factor, for me anyways, so go and buy yourself a nice mac monitor, its 700 bucks and well worth every penny)