Science Forums

I need this favor to be done

Ps2Huang

Do you guys know any website about biology dictionary that defines every term specifically and precisely? Because I found out many books do not explain all words--like particle and such.
I consider WikipediA to be one of the best sources of both scientific and non-scientific information available. Its extensive use of hyperlinks and reasonably good search features usually make finding the definition of a general or specific term easy.

By the way, the term “Particle” is not much used in Biology, but rather is the central term of Particle physics. Much of what you need to know about them is summarized by this pretty chart.

Actually atom is the basic chemicals. Atom has many types. And the subunits of atoms are protons, electrons and neutrons--those we called particles as well.

H2O is a kind of atom. And with many atoms combined, we call it molecule. Sometimes it may become an element, which is unchangeable.

You’ve just expressed a few glaring misconceptions. Please allow me to attempt to correct them.
  • Atom are the basic chemicals. There are many types of atoms. the subunits of atoms are protons, electrons and neutrons – All correct
  • Protons, neutrons, and electrons and are called particles – Correct. Protons, neutrons, and electrons are called sub-atomic particles. Only the electron, however, is a fundamental particle. Protons and neutrons are each composed of 3 quarks, as explained in this table.
  • H2O is a kind of atom – No. H2O is a molecule, consisting of 2 atoms of Hydrogen and 1 atom of Oxygen.
  • Atoms combine to form molecules – Correct
  • Sometimes a molecule becomes an element – No. The elements are atoms, defined by the number of protons in them, as explained by the Periodic Table of the Elements
  • Elements are unchangeable – No. The nuclei (where the protons and neutrons are) of an atom of an element may be split (a process called nuclear fission) to form a different element with fewer protons, or combined (a process called nuclear fusion) to form a different element with more protons. The decay of a radioactive element (such as Uranium, with 92 protons and many neutrons) into a stable element (such as Lead, with 82 protons and many neutrons) is an example of fission. The sun is an example nuclear fusion, in which Hydrogen (with 1 proton and no neutrons) combines to form Helium (with 2 protons and 2 neutrons).

I hope you find this helpful.