Science Forums

What IS space?

sergey500

I must say that I find this response from a moderator to be insulting towards the initial poster. Is it ignorance to inquire in one's quest to seek knowledge? If you want to insult him, perhaps you should do so through a private message, as opposed to such public scrutiny.

Thank you EWright, exactly what i was thinking.

What the heck did do?B) you guys are making it sounds like i have pissed everyone off. Me...ignorant? WTF:naughty: . Ignorance is avoiding the truth in a annoying manner, there was np truth yet told. I am asking for one, no one gave me a definate answer.

Thanks Infy, now then people, back off, chill and get back to the intial question.

EDIT: Well then, after a quick double check in dicitonary, i am mistaken, ingorance actuelly is 1. Lacking education or knowledge. 2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake. 3. Unaware or uninformed. So my defination was wrong, and if this is indeed the defination you had in mind then, yes i am indeed ignorant, since i do lack knowledge in this topic, that is why i am asking the question.

Apologies all around square:

1) I apologize to everyone for allowing anger to supplant my usual equanimity.

2) I apologize to the staff for making a fuss.

3) I apologize to any & all innocents wounded by my assertions.

4) I apologize to the Red Dragon

Have a Nice Day:)

Apologies all around square:

1) I apologize to everyone for allowing anger to supplant my usual equanimity.

2) I apologize to the staff for making a fuss.

3) I apologize to any & all innocents wounded by my assertions.

4) I apologize to the Red Dragon

Have a Nice Day:)

Apology accepted. But my rep has suffered (its red/orange).

rep: -31? ........that hurt.

Well i must admitt, patience is not one of my characteristics.

Anywho, back to question what is space.

We last left off at the part that (well what i got established so far at least), is space is filled with something (through the whole thing of what it can't be fileld with, we are led to conclusion, it is indeed something), uniform energy, but something else is holding that. What is that?

The last useful discussion was on how empty everything would be nearly impossible. This and the last (most of) 22 pages was just telling me on what dimension, angles it can be, anything that it is not, but still nobody yet told me what it CAN be, then when we establish that we can eliminate the 'not so likely' choices.

IF you have indeed told me solid answer, then because of my "ignorance" (as some would call it) and my "rudeness", i have seemed to accidently misread or misunderstood the answer. If you have indeed given me the answer, please, one more time, give it to me in simplest way you can say it, use analogies if it will help.

Now that we are back on track, I hope to get my answer and we can let this rest. But before that this debate will rage on. So what do you think?

By the way, how do you change the Rep of some people? there are couple peoples rep's i want to increase...i don't decrease though. CC, EWright, Puff, INfy, those people who contributed the most, i would like to increase their rep....meanwhile i still don't get how it works.

Now that we are back on track, I hope to get my answer and we can let this rest. But before that this debate will rage on. So what do you think?

What is space, is a most difficult question to really answer sergey500. There are several different theories floating around but none which are very easy to explain in a few short sentences. I am not the authority to be asking the question however, you may have better luck with this question if you google it and then just sort through the many definitions you'll find there.

By the way, how do you change the Rep of some people? there are couple peoples rep's i want to increase...i don't decrease though. CC, EWright, Puff, INfy, those people who contributed the most, i would like to increase their rep....meanwhile i still don't get how it works.
If you'll notice, right above the name of the person you wish to rep. and in the particluar post you want to refer to, there will be three colored rectangular boxes. A blue one, a green one, and a red one. Click onto the green rectangle and follow the instructions..................good luck.........Infy.

well that is what you said when you first responded to this thread, infamous. And i said, i tried google. Came to a lot theories, i thought through them and realized quite a few are just BS. So i came here (and other forums). I realize this is extremely hard question to answer (that is why i said let hear your opinions, and pick the most simplest and best answer, so i can be satisified about this question. (or something among those lines)).

Yep, thanks, i just rep'd you. (Sounds like raped, still laughing from the word similarity). I think you were the only one that actually had patience to go through and be calm through this whole thread. Thanks and congrats.

So what do you think? ideas? Do you think...i dunno...(making something up...), that the fabric of space is a type of particle that is build of itself, so it impossible to zoom in any furthur, or something like that to be fabric of space? But this goes back to 2 - 6 pages...so that idea was just shot down.

maybe it some kind of net, of compact energy. Or something. I might have to do research on dark energy and dark matter, i think they might help somehow.

So what do you think? ideas? Do you think...i dunno...(making something up...), that the fabric of space is a type of particle that is build of itself, so it impossible to zoom in any furthur, or something like that to be fabric of space? But this goes back to 2 - 6 pages...so that idea was just shot down.

There are much greater minds here at Hypography that could give you a better answer than I can. At the risk of showing my ignorance, I'll give you my opinion anyway:

Space cannot exist without the energy that fills it. This energy, some will say came from the Big Bang, others suggest that it came into existence by different means. The point is, the universe is seething with energy and this energy moves within the dimensions of space. There are a multitude of different theories about how many dimensions there are so I will not open up that can of worms. When energy is uninfluenced by external stimuli, it will take route in a straight line, however, when influenced by external stimuli, it can take on an orbital nature, enter matter. If you've heard of vacuum fluctuations you'll understand my last comment, if not, that would also be a good google for you. Simply put, space does not stand alone, it is better to refer to this concept as space/time. Space/time is a region of energy density with a geometeric character.

No EWright, I did not want to insult him.

Try to make the distinction. As Infy says, he has the right to profess his ignorance if he so chooses, it isn't an insult if I remark that he was doing so, but I got the impression he meant it as veiled insolence toward the initial poster. This was presumeably what Turtle meant to report.

I hope Infy can deal with the situation here.

I believe this misunderstanding may stem from a language/cultural gap. I see you, Qfwfq, are from Northern Italy. In the U.S., to call someone ignorant is not to say they are 'unknowledgable'... rather, it equates to outright calling them "stupid", and it is very insulting. Basically, it sounded as though you were calling him a dumb-***, which would be an obvious violation of the rules here.

...and if this is indeed the defination you had in mind then, yes i am indeed ignorant, since i do lack knowledge in this topic, that is why i am asking the question.
Don't worry Sergey, I often repeat the clichè that we are all ignorant... find someone that knows everything! :naughty:

I'm also in the habit of professing my own ignorance when suitable. Of course, asking questions and getting answers is a top purpose of these boards. I must say however that your manner and sarcasm don't seem to please people and you shouldn't get upset if people point it out. Friendly conduct is more welcome on these boards.:xx:

Well seeing how both of you just ignored both of my last messages, I will go my next question, mostly to CC, what the heck is L1, L2, and L3?

You should start by reading your own thread. The answer is in post: 114, 115, 117, 118, 119, 122, 123, 202, 275.

Don't tell me you can't understand that.

If you indeed did read your own thread, and in effect have not understood it, Google Lagrange ponts, you'll find L1, L2, L3, L4, L5.

These, one more time, are points in space where there is no gravity.

Infy, your 'space is energy density' doesn't jive.

Neither does Poofs space interpretation. Should I explain why?

CC

Yes, CC, please explain why. I did go back and I did read it before, the moment i asked that question i forgot since i kept my mind on current argument (of the time), the absolute zero possibilty. Wait a sec, 275? where is that?

Infy. I am still going research what you asked me to, because i did not fully (i got most of it) understand it. While i am at it, i will research dark energy and dark matter, for some reason i believe this will help. I am looking for something that holds up energy and does not provide fricition...still loooking.

Thank EWright, but i think Qfwfq realized this and he informed us that calling people ignorant is somewhat of hobby, even calling himself ingnorant.

But I KNOW EVERYTHING ..........about nothing. (just a little joke).

Now then back to my research so i can post something more useful.

Infy, your 'space is energy density' doesn't jive.

Neither does Poofs space interpretation. Should I explain why?

CC

I'm all ears coldc, my own particular interpretation for these questions is always subject to modification. You'll find me quite pliable where new ideas are concerned but, and I emphasize but,I will need to see and understand the new position clearly. I will not blindly accept theoritical views just because someone demands their acceptance. I have been following both your position and Puffs, and at this juncture, I see good ideas coming from both of you fine fellows. But, one or two good ideas does not a theory make. Also, part of my indecision results from my own lack of knowledge, I must concede. I do believe however, that when I hear or see the truth, I have the logical perception to know it when stares me in the face. So by all means, explain to me where I've gone wrong. It won't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. But this one thing I can promise you both, my interest is in the truth and understanding my own mistakes is part of finding it. I have no problem with changing my mind when I see evidence, but speculation is just that, speculation. And speculation is not a bad thing, it gives us reason to look at questions from different angles so that's really a good thing. However, when minds are to be changed, evidence must be presented.

I believe this misunderstanding may stem from a language/cultural gap. I see you, Qfwfq, are from Northern Italy. In the U.S., to call someone ignorant is not to say they are 'unknowledgable'... rather, it equates to outright calling them "stupid", and it is very insulting. Basically, it sounded as though you were calling him a dumb-***, which would be an obvious violation of the rules here.
I'm sorry not to have seen your post yesterday and to have to reply now that things have returned to normal.

Don't worry about cultural gaps, the use of the word is much the same in Europe and any language with the equivalent term I'm sure, it all depends on how it is used. I'm sure that the expression "to profess one's ignorance" is understood in the US in the same way as in Italy, Germany, France, the UK and Canada or Australia.

P. S. I was born in Newmarket, Ontario and the language I speak with family members and many relatives is English.

I'm all ears coldc, my own particular interpretation for these questions is always subject to modification. You'll find me quite pliable where new ideas are concerned but, and I emphasize but,I will need to see and understand the new position clearly.... snip... evidence must be presented.

OK Infy, first you (then Poof):

You wrote:

Simply put, space does not stand alone, it is better to refer to this concept as space/time. Space/time is a region of energy density with a geometeric character.

Spacetime (not space/time) is not a region of energy density. Energy density is simply, energy (where its density depends on various conditions). There may be present in a region of spacetime energy with a particular (or varying) density, inducing a curvature of the metric field resulting in something that can be described geometricaly. Basically you are describing not space, but something (energy) that fills space.

For a clear rendition of what is space see my lengthy posts in this thread (the ones you thought boring). I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding that definition. I think they were simple enough for the laymen.

Now Poof:

To whom it may concern: Until further qualified notice, it is the consensus of several contributors to this worthy thread (Including Truly Yours), that the question, 'What IS space', has been responsibly resolved by a number of thoughtful contributors in a number of documentary applied ways - including the method of processional omission, of what space is not. That is, it appears to have been variously established that space is not 'nothing', for example, and, that space is 'something' (an existential, scientifically accomodated - if not fully encompassed or comprehended - condition) correctly definable - and so defined herein - in a number of inter-related, reciprocally corroborating ways. There are various prudent, circumspective and expansively dilated expressions of able and edifying contributions, throughout this thread.

This, I believe was Poofs definition of space. Poof, if you're watching now from the sidelines, is that correct?

For these reasons and others, this record (That Rascal Puff and several distinguished correspondents) may only consider that until further unprecedented notice of new information, the highway of interrogatory and declarative dialogue; reasonably constructive and educational argument here, has generally run its acknowledged, well paved and trafficked course.

snip...

I do agree...

Perhaps these proclamations are true. Everyone is, after all, entitled to express whatever may be determined as their own aspirationally reasonable opinion, however they may or not absolutely qualify themselves and to what objectively qualified or intuitively appropriate degree.

Here here...

Whereas, from the viewpoint of the panel of which I am a moderate constituent, the nobly broad brushed question ('What IS space?' <Hoping there's room for this?>) has been adequately detailed with appropriate and certainly illuminating circumspections (tantamount to an original oil-paint rendetion of a pastoral setting, faithfully consummated by Monet; as a comparative grid for any that may be more inclined to interpreting art, rather than science?).

Oh? Your expansion hypothesis sounded more like Botero.

The rounded gestalt waxes redemptive circumscription of its vestments. Opportunities to further pursue the issue are cordially afforded, on and within many extended and duly installed facets. The ascribed, interrogatively guilded canon appears reasonably fullfilled - the considered opinion of this representative student and teacher at this - sergey500 assigned - podium. Which I may only hope continues as an avenue of furthered knowledge and understanding, without disposition as any typical or anomalous conduit of contention, for any unredeeming reward that may clearly imply or underscore whatever overextended ambitions, or, affectatiously modest Great Expectations of Final - or Everything - Theory.

What?

May the Buddha - or deity, philosophy or theocratic platform of whatever individually offered or received choice - smile favorably upon the Past & Present Readers & Writers, and like reciprocal Contributors herein, and henceforth.

I am sincerely, gratefully and respectfully,

- Poof (Etceteras.