Science Forums

What IS space?

sergey500

What oh, what is space

IF this question is answered plenty more scientifc questions can be answered as well.

1. a. Mathematics A set of elements or points satisfying specified geometric postulates: non-Euclidean space. b. The infinite extension of the three-dimensional region in which all matter exists.

2. a. The expanse in which the solar system, stars, and galaxies exist; the universe. b. The region of this expanse beyond Earth's atmosphere.

-SmarterChild, Aim bot

OK...so what is it?

1. well i am refering to the physucal space, as in outer space (def 2.)

2. The expanise....IN WHAT? what hold all this?

Space, is something, it is not nothing, otherwiese it would not excist and besides light passes through it thus it must be someting. IN outter space space there are particles, mostly in solar winds, but sub-atomic particles float in outer space, free of gravity. But...what are they floating ON? What is the fabric of space?

When a black hole is created it said to rip through space and time.....wtf? how can you rip spacetime? what is spacetime? it not solid object to be ripped? or is it? So looking at it like this. Space, like air on earth, Has to be made out of someting for stuff to move through it, it a median! But in space, there is very little particles, so what in between them? nothing? i doubt it!

So what sub atomic particles are there for space to be made out off?

well we have *takes a breathe of air*; Boson catorgory: photons (most common particle, most ligthest, our little light particle), X bosons, W and Z bosons, the nutrino (does it even belong in this catogory?), Higgs Boson (i know i will get comments on this one), then we have our unknown particles of WIMPs and MACHOs (if you do not know what this means, please ask, do not joke around): here we have our Gluons, Gravitons, magnetic monopoles (have these even been found?), Z particles, Quarks, Leptons....Oh **** it, there is too many to go through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the point is, what subatomic particles might have effect on this? I don't know, it just some hints that might help, keyword, MIGHT.

Well space may include matter, so we need to acknowledge Dark Matter and Anti matter scenerios, dark energy is not included though, it might be.

Now then, one theory says it Aether that makes up space, but ......nobody knows what it is....well it up to you!!!! find out this question of ultimate truth....I am tired off typing

Also space can not be nothing, nothing just doesn't excist!

Discuss:

Space

spacetime

Fabric of the cosmos

anything on this subject htat might help

Also space can not be nothing, nothing just doesn't excist!

Discuss:

Space

spacetime

Fabric of the cosmos

anything on this subject htat might help

Welcome to Hypography sergey500; I'm no expert on this subject but we have a few members here that are sure to give you some interesting information on the subject. Have you tryed Googling topics like, Aether, String Theory, and Space/ time fabric? From my limited knowledge on the subject, I believe you are correct in assuming that space has some intrinsic character weather it be material or otherwise, space does consist of something. I think scientists are still trying to figure this question out.

well yes, of course i used google and other research, i wouldn't ask the quesiton with so much add facts out of the blue. I am waiting for theses "few members" but no one is replying. Yes scientist are still trying to figure it out but, i would like to hear other peoples opinions

well yes, of course i used google and other research, i wouldn't ask the quesiton with so much add facts out of the blue. I am waiting for theses "few members" but no one is replying. Yes scientist are still trying to figure it out but, i would like to hear other peoples opinions
Like I said, I'm no expert but I'll give you my opinion anyway seeing that you are asking for opinions.

The Space/Time fabric is in my estimation is nothing more than a tetrahedral geometry that influences the four forces of nature to manifest themselves with 6 degrees of freedom.

*blink in surprise* no expert?! what heck? that was like.....amazing. But it still doesn't explain how the fabric of space is made out off only the possibilty and limiation of space
If I could explain all that sergey500, they would hand me The Nobel Prize. I think science is a long way off from ever defining this phenomenon we call the space/time fabric. Here is something to also think about; if time and space are quantasized, what is happening between these events? That is to say, for example, if time is quantasized does time exist between events or has time stopped there. And because you cannot separate time from space, they must work hand in hand, has space also disapeared in between quantum events? Just a couple questions to get your mind working, like I said, I'm no expert, these are questions that I have no answer for.

Good thinking i will get on those later. After i happily solved my questions of "Do we excist?" and then "whey do we excist" and now i need this space thing figured out. After that i am going to figure time travel out..........this will take me a while....a really really long while

We don't know what space is "made of", all we know is that we exist and move around in it. We know that objects can have some distance from each other in different directions and that these can change. :lol:

After that i am going to figure time travel out..........this will take me a while....a really really long while
It'll sure take a while. :)

Space, is something, it is not nothing

HitchHiker's Guide says about space :-

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is.

What goes on in space depends on how much space you have, how much compression.

So, space is something, it is hugely big and some bits are thicker than others.

Alternatively, space is very very small and there is an awful lot of it about.

Here's Some Definitions I found:

Outer Space

'''Outer space''' (also called just ''space''), as a name for a region, refers to the relatively empty parts of the Universe, outside the celestial body's atmosphere atmospheres of celestial bodies. The term ''outer space'' is used to distinguish it from airspace and terrestrial locations. As Earth's atmosphere has no abrupt cut-off, but rather thins gradually with increasing altitude, there is no definite boundary between the atmosphere and space. The altitude of 100 kilometers or 62 miles established by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale is the most widely used definition as the boundary between atmosphere and space. In the United States, persons who travel above an altitude of 50 miles (80 kilometers) are designated as Astronaut astronauts. 400,000 feet (75 miles or 120 kilometers) marks the boundary where atmospheric effects become noticeable during re-entry. (See also Karman line.)

Milestones on the way to space

*4.6 km (15,000 ft) - FAA requires supplemental oxygen for aircraft pilots and passengers *5.3 km (17,400 ft) - Half of the earth's atmosphere is below this altitude *16 km (52,500 ft) - Pressurized cabin or pressure suit required *18 km (59,000 ft) - Upper limit of the Troposphere *20 km (65,600 ft) - Water at room temperature boils without a pressurized container (the popular notion that bodily fluids would start to boil at this point is false because the confines of the body generate enough pressure to prevent actual boiling) *24 km (78,700 ft) - Regular aircraft pressurization systems no longer function *32 km (105,000 ft) - Turbojets no longer function *45 km (148,000 ft) - Ramjets no longer function *50 km (164,000 ft) - Stratosphere ends *80 km (262,000 ft) - Mesosphere ends *100 km (328,000 ft)- airfoil Aerodynamic surfaces no longer function Reentry from orbit begins at 122 km (400,000 ft).

Space does not equal orbit

A common misunderstanding about the boundary to space is that orbit occurs by reaching this altitude. Orbit, however, requires orbital speed and can theoretically occur at any altitude. Atmospheric drag precludes an orbit that is too low. Minimal altitudes for a stable orbit begin at around 350 km (220 miles) above mean sea level, so to actually perform an orbital spaceflight, a spacecraft would need to go higher and (more importantly) faster than what would be required for a sub-orbital spaceflight. Reaching orbit requires tremendous speed. A craft has not reached orbit until it is circling Earth so quickly that the upward centrifugal force centrifugal "force" cancels the downward gravity gravitational force on the craft. Having climbed up out of the atmosphere, a craft entering orbit must then turn sideways and continue firing its rockets to reach the necessary speed; for low Earth orbit, the speed is about 7.9 km/s (18,000 mph). Thus, achieving the necessary altitude is only the first step in reaching orbit. The energy required to reach velocity for low earth orbit (32 MJ/kg) is about twenty times the energy to reach the corresponding altitude (10 kJ/km/kg).

Outer space (also called just space) as a name for a region, refers to the relatively empty parts of the Universe, outside the atmospheres of celestial bodies. The term outer space is used to distinguish it from airspace and terrestrial locations. Although outer space is certainly spacious, it is now known to be far from empty, and filled with a tenuous plasma.

As Earth's atmosphere has no abrupt cut-off, but rather thins gradually with increasing altitude, there is no definite boundary between the atmosphere and space. The altitude of 100 kilometers or 62 miles established by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale is the most widely used definition as the boundary between atmosphere and space. In the United States, persons who travel above an altitude of 50 miles (80 kilometers) are designated as astronauts. 400,000 feet (75 miles or 120 kilometers) marks the boundary where atmospheric effects become noticeable during re-entry.

Milestones on the way to space

• 4.6 km (15,000 ft) - FAA requires supplemental oxygen for aircraft pilots and passengers
  • 5.3 km (17,400 ft) - Half of the earth's atmosphere is below this altitude
  • 16 km (52,500 ft) - Pressurized cabin or pressure suit required
  • 18 km (59,000 ft) - Upper limit of the Troposphere
  • 20 km (65,600 ft) - Water at room temperature boils without a pressurized container (the popular notion that bodily fluids would start to boil at this point is false because the confines of the body generate enough pressure to prevent actual boiling)
  • 24 km (78,700 ft) - Regular aircraft pressurization systems no longer function
  • 32 km (105,000 ft) - Turbojets no longer function
  • 45 km (148,000 ft) - Ramjets no longer function
  • 50 km (164,000 ft) - Stratosphere ends
  • 80 km (262,000 ft) - Mesosphere ends
  • 100 km (328,000 ft)- Aerodynamic surfaces no longer function

Reentry from orbit begins at 122 km (400,000 ft).

[/url]

Types of space

Space does not equal orbit

A common misunderstanding about the boundary to space is that orbit occurs by reaching this altitude. Orbit, however, requires

orbital speed and can theoretically occur at any altitude. Atmospheric drag precludes an orbit that is too low.

Minimal altitudes for a stable orbit around the Earth begin at around 350 km (220 miles) above mean sea level, so to actually perform an orbital spaceflight, a spacecraft would need to go higher and (more importantly) faster than what would be required for a sub-orbital spaceflight.

Reaching orbit requires tremendous speed. A craft has not reached orbit until it is circling Earth so quickly that the upward centrifugal "force" cancels the downward gravitational force on the craft. Having climbed up out of the atmosphere, a craft entering orbit must then turn sideways and continue firing its rockets to reach the necessary speed; for low Earth orbit, the speed is about 7.9 km/s (18,000 mph). Thus, achieving the necessary altitude is only the first step in reaching orbit.

The energy required to reach velocity for low earth orbit (32 MJ/kg) is about twenty times the energy to reach the corresponding altitude (10 kJ/km/kg).

What oh, what is space ?

By Sergey500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

To begin with the obvious.

1. Space is REAL. It is a physical property of mass and energy. You could describe it as the real manifestation of how mass and energy distributes itself across a VOLUME through TIME.

2. Where common folk(me) get lost is understanding the mathematical descriptions that the geniuses, among us, use to describe it.

3. If you limit yourself to words and try to imagine space without the numbers and the equational relationships among binding forces and particles with which the forces associate, you rapidly go into errors of thought that space is some kind of field or fluid. It is not. It is truer to say to state that the numeric description of space is as real as the numbers that describe the electromagnetic binding forces that prevent your own hand from passing through your body or the strong nuclear forces that bind protons together in a nucleus lattice with neutron spacers making atomic(electron shell) chemistry possible.

4. Space as seen from an observer's viewpoint is elastic in time. The faster you go the shorter in perspesctive the universe appears in the direction of blue. It doesn't make any difference if you move in the local space or if the local space moves past you. The effect is the same.

5. Space is quantized since time is a component of its operation. Whatever physical description the numbers yield about space has to account for the gapping. Einstein wondered about that fact when he imagined what would happen to an apple that fell from a tree and constantly halved its distance to the ground 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc. when he wrestled with gravity. He concluded that not only was time a variable like a rubber band depending on the energy pumped into a system, but he concluded that time was discrete in that it came in packets or quanta, that manifested itself as energy. He was aware of electromagnetism and gravity.

6. Remember that confusion of words? Time is properly the measurement of the flow of energy to a "mean" condition. That is a process called ENTROPY. It is as fundamental to understanding what space is as VOLUME and is as real.

7. There are two macro-effect forces(defined by the distance over which the two binding forces have an effect on mass which is grossly apparent to our senses) that define the twin properties of VOLUME and ENTROPY with which we are grossly familiar. One is electromagnetism, which is a spatial inflator, and the other is gravitation which is a mass concentrator. Both forces define the SHAPE of macro-space and are very familiar to us.

8. There are two micro-effect forces(defined by the distance over which the binding forces have effect that escapes ourgross sensory notice). The strong nuclear force as described above is the force that inhibits protons(the quark bundles forming those triplets) from flying apart when trapped in a neutron lattice. More properly it is understood to represent the interactions between quarks and gluons within a nucleus. The weak nuclear force interaction enables all lepton and quark particles and antiparticles to interchange energy, mass, electric charge and flavor—effectively to change into each other. One I suspect is a tractor, while the other may be an inflator at those spatial scales. Take your pick.

9. However you look at it, space has to be itself quantized for there to be any kind of VOLUME. There has to be discrete intervals between the "points, strings, bits, (curly fries?) of space/time for quantum mechanics to make any sense. Yet at the same time the "intervals" must all be in contiguous contact to form a smooth boundary to give space a shape through which energy(bosons and leptons) can "flow".

Are you confused? I sure am!