Science Forums

Ethanol supplier needed

Nickj

Hi,

I'm in need of about 10 gallons of ethanol for use as an aquatic insect preservative. The home improvement stores and pharmacies carry alcohal that is 70% ethanol 30% other stuff for about $13/gallon. Apparently that other stuff like acetone and methyl alcohal is hard on the bugs. What we really need is 70% of 180 proof ethanol and 30% water. The 180 proof stuff goes for over $100/gallon from the lab suppliers I've found so far.

Any suggested sources of low cost ethanol

Thanks

Nick

The 180 proof stuff goes for over $100/gallon from the lab suppliers I've found so far.

Any suggested sources of low cost ethanol...

Hmmm. Ethanol USP should not cost nearly that much. I suspect the sale is taxed as if it is for retail sale for oral consumption. As I recall, ethanol USP (190 proof) was really cheap in 5 gallon drums in the 1970s.

The federal excise tax is (I think) about $13.5 per 100 proof gallon. Most states add taxes as well.

Per C1ay's suggestion, a bottle of Everclear (alcohol 95) is usually about $11.00 per liter in most states. I think that is your best bet.

Make your own. Go to your neighborhood wine making supply store and get some wine yeast and some advice. If you use sherry yeast you can hit 20% ethanol.

Get a 55 gallon plastic garbage barrel, (polyetylene is best). Start with pure sugar water. 5-10lbs/gallon. When the fermentation stops let it settle.

Next get or make a distillation apparatus. If you have time a cold finger and hot day might work. You should be able to hit 190proof; pure moonshine ye ha!. I beleive the law allows you to distill up to 10-15 gallons per year. Check your local laws.