Science Forums

"alt Right' As A Mental Illness

fahrquad

I confess that have been spending some time at another site called "Gab" out of morbid fascination.  I originally thought Gab might stand for "guns and bullets", but it appears that it stands for "guns, anarchy, and belligerence".   It is allegedly a free speech website, but has a very distinct leaning into the extreme far right.  It is mostly a pro-gun, anti-government site where Ted Kaczynski, Dylan Roof, and Timothy McVeigh would feel right at home.  Some have openly expressed a desire to possess automatic or even tactical nuclear weapons while others have proposed the overthrow of any form of government.  I invite any of the analytic types here to pop over for observations.  You will easily recognize my handle over there.

https://gab.com/home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gab_(social_network)

P.S.  I debated posting this under Political Science or Psychology.  You will see why.

Here is a prime example posted under an article about a convicted felon militia leader being arrested for a weapons violation.

TOTAL LIES This is the same criminal FBI thugs who shot unarmed American Patriot #LavoyFinicum 9 x's while he had his hands in the air, murdering him in cold blood, then partying in Oregon high 5 ing each other with joy & happiness they had murdered an innocent american, the same FBI Criminal thugs who murdered Randy Weaver's family shooting his 10 yr old son in the back, shooting the family dog, & murdering his wife while holding their 2 mo old baby #RubyRidge, The same FBI criminal thugs who burned lil children alive in #Waco.. THEY ARE LIARS THEY SAY ANYTHING TO PROTECT THEIR CRIMINAL ACTIVITY THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT LIKE IT ALWAYS IT. WHILE OUR BORDERS ARE BEING INVADED THEY ARENT ARREST ILLEGALS BUT ARRESTING PATRIOTS ARE YOU AWAKE AMERICA????"

Funny enough...

https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.1176/appi.ps.55.12.1440  Voting Preferences of Outpatients With Chronic Mental Illness in Germany

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/calling-truce-political-wars/  Unconscious Reactions Separate Liberals and Conservatives

https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-says-liberal-beliefs-are-linked-to-pyschotic-traits/  Science says liberals, not conservatives, are psychotic

Not saying that there isn't problems on both sides of the isle when you look at the extremists...I am saying that the right generally has more logic and reasoning behind their accusations.  Casual look at that Gab page show stuff that on the surface seems like legitimate concerns. I am NOT seeing the particular post you seem to be quoting there though. Like twitter, the actual post-link should be found in the "x time ago" section, while the rest just links back to the main user content page.

Gahd, did not read your links, but I went on gab.com. Explore popular gets you to stuff like this:
https://gab.com/TZyklon/posts/bnRjRUZ4MVZ4TndVMysrYjdPMGVTUT09

Am sorry, that just takes away everything you say about legitimate concerns...

But ok I scrolled a bit more, rest seems more contortion and twisting of facts

I think it is unfair to judge a site based on the worst posts you can find. If people did that with our site, based on the number of crackpot posts here, I’m afraid Hypography would not fare very well as a physics site! :innocent:

Anyway, I took a quick look at Gab and I saw some posts about the measles outbreak in NYC, the bombings in Sri Lanka, and some things that were racially biased, white supremist crap. I am a conservative, but Gab is not a site that I would waste any of my time on. :nea:

Incidentally, I visit very few sites and only post on two. I did post on a third, a very conservative site, but when I caught them in an outright lie and called them on it, their solution was to ban me for life! :lol:

I see what you mean Oceanbreeze, but it is not a post which has led to ban the poster. See her whole profile, lots of stuff and lots of comments along the same line. That is not an oversight of the mods.

But you could re-apply your argument saying only one member not banned. But I disagree, just seeing the number of comments along the same lines.

But yeah, politically correct and coherent would be not to judge on so little data, but I admit I can't be bothered :-)

Also note, I also said rest is not so hardcore.

Gahd, did not read your links, but I went on gab.com. Explore popular gets you to stuff like this:

https://gab.com/TZyklon/posts/bnRjRUZ4MVZ4TndVMysrYjdPMGVTUT09

Am sorry, that just takes away everything you say about legitimate concerns...

But ok I scrolled a bit more, rest seems more contortion and twisting of facts

...That's not the same user?

Even then I was talking more about...what do you cal them, gabs? Anti-tweets? Either way (re)posts like THIS that I scrolled though the feed farq linked to and glanced at.. I'm sure if I look carefully I can find some nutty goodness on both sides. Wonder what I'd find looking at twittard and tumbler? reddit? here? :D People are bonkers man, but even the bonkers can make a good observation once in a while...

Funny enough...

https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.1176/appi.ps.55.12.1440  Voting Preferences of Outpatients With Chronic Mental Illness in Germany

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/calling-truce-political-wars/  Unconscious Reactions Separate Liberals and Conservatives

https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-says-liberal-beliefs-are-linked-to-pyschotic-traits/  Science says liberals, not conservatives, are psychotic

Not saying that there isn't problems on both sides of the isle when you look at the extremists...I am saying that the right generally has more logic and reasoning behind their accusations.  Casual look at that Gab page show stuff that on the surface seems like legitimate concerns. I am NOT seeing the particular post you seem to be quoting there though. Like twitter, the actual post-link should be found in the "x time ago" section, while the rest just links back to the main user content page.

The German study was interesting, but these folks have not been in an institution and are running around with guns.  They are so far to the right that they are practically and functionally on the left.  I would ordinarily dismiss this group as a bunch of flakes, but they definitely seem to be anything but harmless.

(resorting to quoting myself trying to be reasonable)

"The people I have met in our trips to Mexico have been friendly and pleasant folks if you make the effort to get out of the tourist areas and actually see the country. My spoken Spanish is very bad, but the effort was generally appreciated. Many of the younger folks in the more metropolitan areas would like to come to "The Land of Opportunity" but then so did all of our ancestors.  The fact that they are Mexican is no reason to discriminate."

If you can't reason with the nutter with a gun, at least try to put 'em to sleep.  :pardon:

I think it is unfair to judge a site based on the worst posts you can find. If people did that with our site, based on the number of crackpot posts here, I’m afraid Hypography would not fare very well as a physics site! :innocent:

Anyway, I took a quick look at Gab and I saw some posts about the measles outbreak in NYC, the bombings in Sri Lanka, and some things that were racially biased, white supremist crap. I am a conservative, but Gab is not a site that I would waste any of my time on. :nea:

Incidentally, I visit very few sites and only post on two. I did post on a third, a very conservative site, but when I caught them in an outright lie and called them on it, their solution was to ban me for life! :lol:

At least our crackpots are not heavily armed.

"The people I have met in our trips to Mexico have been friendly and pleasant folks if you make the effort to get out of the tourist areas and actually see the country. My spoken Spanish is very bad, but the effort was generally appreciated. Many of the younger folks in the more metropolitan areas would like to come to "The Land of Opportunity" but then so did all of our ancestors.  The fact that they are Mexican is no reason to discriminate."

You are aware that this line of thinking is what xenophobes do? It literally means fear of the different, strangers etc. So, you often can hear people saying "I dislike people from group X, but you (also from group X) are different". And to me it just sounds like that what you are saying, i.e " dislike of mexicans in general, but the ones I met are cool". I doubt this was your intent, but I just wanted to point it out.

I don't think you can classify someone as insane or mentally unstable over politics even though some try that route, I know I talk to Right and they think that Homosexuality and Abortion should get the Left sent to jail and as almost a sign of mental stupidity while when I talk to the Left they have this idea that the Right is a bunch of gun totting mass murderers that cause people to get murdered on a daily basis over guns, so I wouldn't put much stock in politics and mental stability there are those radical elements in both sides.

You are aware that this line of thinking is what xenophobes do? It literally means fear of the different, strangers etc. So, you often can hear people saying "I dislike people from group X, but you (also from group X) are different". And to me it just sounds like that what you are saying, i.e " dislike of mexicans in general, but the ones I met are cool". I doubt this was your intent, but I just wanted to point it out.

"Xenophobia", which quite literally translates from my parent's native Greek to "outsider fear", is not what I meant.  I do not recall saying anything about disliking Hispanics or any other "race", not that there is any hominid race other than Homo Sapiens currently existing.  I personally like Hispanics and have been a guest in the Mexican states of Tamaulipas, Quintano Roo, and Yucatan, and on the annexed island of Puerto Rico.  My only neighbors that I associate with regularly are Hispanic and 30 feet from where I sit now.  I hate no one except bigots. I am heading back over to GAB now for more light trolling so see y'all later.