Science Forums

Well it looks like MS is at it again

convergence

elveon -- xbox 360 potential game trailer

kameo -- potential launch title for the new console

i'm wondering if by release another psp upgrade will make sharing content with xbox 360 impossible. sony hasn't flinched at all in response to such abilities since this years E3 so it seems that perhaps sony sees this as a possible selling point for the mobilecon, which has not had the expected sales sony requires to make a profit from the venture.

apple unfortunately can't do anything to keep ipod from sharing its information with the new xbox. with ipod models going up to 20 gigabytes you essentially will double your xbox 360 storage capacity by offloading media like pictures and audio to it. if the rumours of a video ipod are true you could even store your high definition videos and even gameplay replays to the video version of ipod, again this by apple may be a selling point even though it directly benefits MS.

could it be that MS will get its evil way again? not creating a portable console of its own but mooching off of its competitors? while creating a user friendly core unit able to appeal to almost everyone while yet again annoying the heck out of hardcore users because if its lack of highend tech?

what is your opinion of MS mooching off the competition and not creating peripheral products of its own, and also of its creating a game console to rival even high end PC gaming machines for hundreds of dollars less.

consoles in general have decimated PC gaming, which was already dying through the infighting between hardware manufacturers, this creating one box with one hardware spec geared toward gaming without bottlenecks, forcing game developers to reach far beyond their means to create mind boggling games...

• 2 weeks later...

yes, the PS3 is looking awesome, though I've heard a lot of complaints about the hardware architecture: it seems it may be 'too' advanced.

Still I love the controller.

On MS/Apple compatibility: With Apple switching to intell based CPUs over the next short whil I can see the 'new' Ipods being VERY compatible with the X-360, especially if someone were to install Linux on both of them...

hey, dont look at me, i dont have that kind of money to spend....

As to architecture, i think that i've provided a decent explanation of it all the way back in the cell architecture or cell processor, whatever it was thread, so

and there is no such thing as too advanced, that architecture is so incredible, makes me faint whenever i hear people say that the new 360 beats PS3, just waiting for GranTurismo5, and even that wont fully use the PS3 power, and I cant wait to run Linux on PS3, there's already a port to it :eek_big:

prepare to be immensly disappointed.

i mean common expecting MS to deliver is just silly given their track record.

there is a rumour tormod that MS may be partnering with transmeta to build a handheld mobilecon to rival ipod and psp.

you may consider waiting for more information about a mobile MS mediacenter with the power of xbox.

intel though is creating a 1Ghz portable chip perhaps useful for such things as mobilecons as well.

it would serve Ms right for burning the intel bridge by partnering with IBM for intel to create the ideal chip on its own that sony can turn around and use to build psp2 in the next couple of years.

all they need to do is to come up with a portable cell architecture chip, then you'd be able to, while at home, increase the performance of your PS3 or yout PSP2 by adding other cells via a wireless connection which is already possible because you'll be able to use your PSP as a controller for PS3

• 2 weeks later...

This bit from Bob Cringley's column in this week's Infoworld:

Cringe contributor John W. reports that his Internet Explorer 7 beta won’t let Google be his default search page. So he downloaded an app that changed the browser’s defaults, and now Google News won’t load.
Think they'll "fix" this problem before shipping? :lol:

Cheers,

Buffy

Think they'll "fix" this problem before shipping? :)

The other "problems" they're working on are even more interesting... MS is no longer supporting Unix Services for Windows - instead insisting that it be built into the operating system for better compatibility :lol: .

What this means to the average enterprise that has US4W implemented: upgrade your enterprise to the latest MS offering (AFAIK this technology is not even in Vista yet) or watch your apps go the way of NT 4.0.

Seems to me that this would be a reasonable time to consider alternative operating systems at the enterprise server level.

MS is no longer supporting Unix Services for Windows - instead insisting that it be built into the operating system for better compatibility :lol: .
US4W has always sucked, and we've (we software vendors) always assumed we needed different scripts for *nix and windows. Just part of being multiplatform.

MS only did US4W to try to get unix apps ported to Windows, esp on the server end, and DB companies like the one I used to work for liked it but abandoned it quickly. You want *nix *tools*, get MKS!!! Then the IT shops got hooked, and MS couldn't back away from it. Its been expensive, and I've seen them try to kill it off a couple of times already. Wait until Vista gets closer and I'll betcha it shows up again, slightly modified...

The marketing folks desires to simplify internal development and "encourage" (coerce) exclusive use of Windows will always end up colliding with Sales need to keep customers from running to *nix....guess who wins?

Cheers,

Buffy