Science Forums

Stepford Wives

OpenMind5

OK, I say this movie recently...although it is quite old. "Stepford Wives" is about men placing computer chips into the mind of women and then making the body almost robotic. Then the women do what ever the men say AND MORE! 3 things I wanna address here.

1) where can i get me one of those chips?

2) [all joking aside] Is it possible to have complete mind control over someone via mind computer chip? I mean the mind does use electrical impulses...why not?

3) if i can't get me one...anyone know a good mail order bride site ;)

LOL! (lets focus on 2 ;))

;)

Op5

2) [all joking aside] Is it possible to have complete mind control over someone via mind computer chip? I mean the mind does use electrical impulses...why not?

:hihi:

LOL! (lets focus on 2 :eek:)

;)

Op5

I think you make an excellent observation here Opie, the corporations are trying to do it with TV commercials. Subliminal advertising and many other external techniques are being used to control minds. I'm sure that an electronic device implanted directly into the brain would be even more effective. Scary thought!!!

Forget the movie, read the book! Far better realised, far more realistic, and no weird ending.

I couldn't stand the idea of it. My other half is my equal, she is intelligent, bright and able. I like it when she dresses up and puts makeup on, but I wouldn't sacrifice everything else for that... Perhaps when I was a teenager, but not ten years later...

Studies have shown you can wire a rat's brain for pleasure, and have it do what you want to the detriment of the rat. If you did the same for a person, you could easily (perhaps) do a lot of damage to society, and certainly to the individual.

It really depends on us furthering our understanding of brain function. IMO it would have to be a mix of bith electrical and chemical control. We already have bits and pieces of this today in terms of chemistry (anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, LSD, etc.) and we have learned what many parts of the brain control. The issue is the ability to fine tune these science for an accurate device, what we have now is about as blunt as a sledge hammer. Much of the electronic technology is alrady in place (hardwiring visual circuits, pacemakers, etc.). There would be a reasonable discussion as per using these methods to curb violent behavior, but you still have Burgess's argument from A Clockwork Orange in place. We still balk a bit at labotomies and chemical castration, much less the concept of completely reprogramining an individual.

Yeah, can I order SIX of them?? But then again, why? I actually like my kids. Maybe I can get one for the neighbor's kid though. ;)
At times in the past I've wished for a Stepford Husband....

Moonies I've met seem perfectly programmed, although I've had fun trying to convert them. Chips are overrated tho: Data on STTNG, Spike on Buffy, and Burgess definitely made it clear that you could make behavior/experiences painful, but not "erase" them completely (although the Moonies sure come close!)....

Cheers,

Buffy