Science Forums

Society destroyed...

Boerseun

"It's the end of the world as we know it"...REM

" That Global Warming is caused by automotive and manufacturing exhuast (co2&co) in general is a half truth. The true significant contrubuter to global warming is the deforestation and the loss of green-space to buildings, roadways, and the heat generated from heating homes, manufacturing, the sun heating the roofs and roadways. Therefore global warming cannot be stopped and we're all doomed to a toastier, wetter future."

Don't believe me?

Here's a simple test to prove it to yourself on a warm sunny day (@noonish or so) walk barefoot onto a paved (years of do'ing roofing has revealed that roofs get just as hot if not hotter) surface it will very likely be hot. Now walk onto a grassy surface it will very likely feel rather cooler on the feet and much comfier.

Next wait untill an hour or so after dark and repeat the pavement will still be hotter than the grass.

Having performed these two tests. Either on the same day or a similarly warm day find a trail in a nice forested area and take a nice hike. Now pick an urban area as near as possible, note the difference in temperature and realise the truth of the matter which is "I'm Right!" :lol:

-------------------------------S.H.V.--------------------------------------

The thread 'Evolution' has taken a wild curve, so much so that I have to open up this new thread to give it some space.

The premise: Civilization has been destroyed. Forget about the cause - it's not important. 99.9% of all people are dead and gone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above was taken from the very first post^

Choose your fate .

• 1 year later...
The thread 'Evolution' has taken a wild curve, so much so that I have to open up this new thread to give it some space.

The premise: Civilization has been destroyed. Forget about the cause - it's not important. 99.9% of all people are dead and gone.

The question: How would civilization react? Would we revert back to the Stone Ages, or Dark Ages, and over hundreds of years start to revere the mystic ancients who left behind all these spectacular relics - or will we quickly re-invent society?

I'm of the opinion that after all the canned food has run out, most of the survivors will have to be actively involved in agriculture, which will have to be manual, cause there's no diesel pumping anymore for the tractors. And with such a large extent of the population engaged in tilling the soil, free time available for study will be few and far between. Study will be a luxury, and after very few generations, those few that have control over magical things like electricity will be regarded as mystics and priests, even.

What's your thoughts on this? I'm just thinking that civilization is walking a very fine tightrope, and speculating about it might serve to illustrate that fact.

I'm thinking the end is quite near!

My goals for the aftermath

2. locate tools, fasteners and other useful items of the sort

1. booze, smokes, and lighter fluid

3. steam powered amphibious RV

4. locate (more) musical instruments as well as sheet music, strings, rosin, etc.

5. locate useful literature

6. enjoy the peace

An event drastic enough to destroy 99.9% of the human race will probably also destroy most other forms of life. If all information that remains is contained only in the brains of .1% of the population, then the type of life lived will depend upon which brains are still alive, aborigines or physicists.

Since the brain capacity of the more sapient is now twice that of the apes, i'm sure that in only a few hundred years we would be back to most of our old tricks, instead of swinging from vines. Are we dealing with conservatives or liberals? it makes a difference...

An event drastic enough to destroy 99.9% of the human race will probably also destroy most other forms of life. If all information that remains is contained only in the brains of .1% of the population, then the type of life lived will depend upon which brains are still alive, aborigines or physicists.

Since the brain capacity of the more sapient is now twice that of the apes, i'm sure that in only a few hundred years we would be back to most of our old tricks, instead of swinging from vines. Are we dealing with conservatives or liberals? it makes a difference...

aborigines or physicists?!?

Why would it matter?!?