Science Forums

My Plan

OpenMind5

Ok, I would like to share to my fellow Hypography Loung members my "Plan" and what i wanna do. If you don't know I am going into the field of Medicine (Cosmetic Surgen) But it can take up to 16 years. So my idea was to do 4 years and then take a break. My break would consist of traveling all over the world. But of course I don't have money for that. I thought maybe my magic could be my side job. But anyways. I would love to go into some monisray in China a meditate with monks, go see the wonders of the world. And i would LOVE to go to Vinice.

Many ideas and dreams. Any feedback or Ideas would be wonderful.

Op5

Dreams, good. Follow now. Harder to follow later (tho not impossible if you're creative!). Nothing you have not yet tried is anywhere near as cool as you dream it is. The really cool things are stumbled upon serendipitously (like that place of hwy 9 Orb was talking about). Get out of the house (heck get out of Michigan!) and go with the flow...

Most important: you learn better in school when you have experience to match up to it. They ought to make all kids 13-19 work, and then let em go back to school. Know-it-all 16-18 year olds can always use a dose of reality that they're protected from (I know, I used to be one!)....

Adventurously,

Buffy

There are so many ways to see the world on a dime or less, just be creative, and be willing to get into some adventures. Mainly like what Buff and Infamous have already said, there are many options.

A cruise ship is one.

Foreign student exchange is another.

Study abroad is another.

If you spend your first 4 years of college getting a minor in another language, you could teach ESL.

Amusement park employess exchange. (This might sound odd, but at our local Paramount's park, there is a very large percentage of the workforce from Europe. When I asked a Russian worker about this, he explained that there is an international organization that places young people, 18-22ish, in different countries for the summer to work amusement parks. Sounds really cool to me!)

Military service. This option also pays for college.

There are others, but I can't think of them all right now.

As for suggestions - do NOT do Venice in the summer. I would actually suggest Florence as the premiere place to visit in Italy. It's just really, really nice.

Turkey is wonderful, despite what you may think. Go to the Riviera, try Antalya, stay out of the border areas.

Crete is an affordable solution to Greece. The people are much friendlier too, imho.

The Middle East is amazing. Really. Amazing.

There are also some really cool places to visit here, in the US. Just ask for specifics.

How much time are you planning between your initial 4 years and going back? Start making contacts in the places you want to visit now. Go to Norway, Tormod is there. Check out sanctus in switzerland. Visit B in S. Africa. Go see Q while you're in Italy. The locals will know the places you should see. Trust them...

And most of all - ENJOY IT! You may never have another chance to do it, so don't let anyone talk you out of it. My mother spent her entire life dreaming of seeing the Trevi Fountain. She died at 49, never having made it to Europe. I went instead, and tossed her coin for her, but it was sad to know she never made it herself. Don't let that happen to you. If you have a dream, make it happen!!!