Science Forums

Where have all the good places gone?

bumab

I'm just back from a week or so backpacking in the North Cascades (my backyard) and have been about as far away from civilization as one can get in the continental US anymore. It's pretty nice to hear nothing but some birds and chipmunk's fighting... and planes?!?!

It's amazing how many jet's fly overhead- at least 4 or 5 a day. Yes, it's a small amount compared to many places, but it's not just any place. It's the middle of nowhere, now. And yet, modern technology intrudes. They were high, of course, and not skimming the ground. Probably wouldn't even notice them anywhere near the city. But when you are out on a long walk, backpacking in the wilderness with the bears, you do. It's actually pretty painful.

I really have no question to discuss. It's just sad, really.

I'm just back from a week or so backpacking in the North Cascades (my backyard) and have been about as far away from civilization as one can get in the continental US anymore. It's pretty nice to hear nothing but some birds and chipmunk's fighting... and planes?!?!

It's amazing how many jet's fly overhead- at least 4 or 5 a day. Yes, it's a small amount compared to many places, but it's not just any place. It's the middle of nowhere, now. And yet, modern technology intrudes. They were high, of course, and not skimming the ground. Probably wouldn't even notice them anywhere near the city. But when you are out on a long walk, backpacking in the wilderness with the bears, you do. It's actually pretty painful.

I really have no question to discuss. It's just sad, really.

Welcome back bumab, it's good to have your voice added to the mix again. About your question, "Where have all the good places gone?". It is a shame, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no peace and quite or at least very little. I'm not sure of your age but if your anywhere near mine, 63 years, you could think back to your youth and remember how it was to be able to really get away. Not any more, no chance. It is really very sad as you say, and getting sadder with every passing day. When you think about the term "Peace and Quiet" there seems to be very little Quite left and absolutely no Peace left in this world of ours. Very sad indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
i like to go to summit rock. it's at the summit of highway 9. you just go down skyway blvd. a ways and on your left you will see a big wooden pole, and a dirt parking area.

follow the trail up, left at the fork. all the way up. ascend.

I second this motion. This is a *very* good place. There are lots of good places in the Eastern Sierras where I like to go like the picture I posted in Take a Moment recently. There's lotso good places: you just have to be creative and serendipitous and look carefully....

Cheers,

Buffy