Science Forums

Global warming - stupid question?

I’m far from convinced that the connection between humans burning fossil fuels and global warming is “poppycock”.

Indeed. But my leaning is that the magnitude of our added CO2 is not known, therefore conclusions drawn on environmental reprocussions are mere conjecture.

The article simply continues to point at the use of half-information as campaign fuel, which is irrefutably both culturally proliferous and morally destitute.

The cycling heating and cooling of the sun could explain the cyclic changes within the earth. Maybe the sun is not uniform and will nuke burns slightly unevenly. Extra heating could mean more mixing leading to a period of watered down fuel that will cool the burn. The cool burn and less mixing allows fusion potential to draw in more concentrated fuel, etc.

in addition to milking cows, i also plant corn.

i apply 35 to 40 gallons of ammonia nitrate (per acre) as fertilizer. a gallon weighs 8.5, 9 lbs.

with plenty of rain, come harvest time i gather 15 to 20 tons of corn per acre.

that's taking alot of CO2 from the air.

in addition to milking cows, i also plant corn.

i apply 35 to 40 gallons of ammonia nitrate (per acre) as fertilizer. a gallon weighs 8.5, 9 lbs.

with plenty of rain, come harvest time i gather 15 to 20 tons of corn per acre.

that's taking alot of CO2 from the air.

Hahaha! That's awesome. I saw a bumber sticker yesterday that said Hug A Farmer. :hihi: so :hyper:

• 1 month later...

i saw a special last night on fox news about GLOBAL WARMING. many scientists saying ice caps melting blaa blaa, cars emitting CO2 blaa blaa.

if the ice caps melt then all coastal areas will be flooded, okay. so they want cars that run off of hydrogen, cars that will produce water :confused: just how much water will these cars produce?

cars emitt CO2 that traps HEAT from the sun. not one of them said anything about the HEAT cars give off :doh: global WARMING, HEAT from cars :naughty:

another thing, hydrogen cars will make storms stronger and more frequent by emitting steam and water into the air increasing the humidity :doh:

The irony of the fabled 'hydrogen economy' is that water vapour (hydrogen-run cars' exhaust) is a much more effective greenhouse gas that CO2. So, if everybody switches to hydrogen cars, global warming should accelerate if it is indeed our doing. What to do...

I wonder - a city on a satellite image appears as a dark grey smudge. What effect will it have on city heat islands if a law is passed that makes a white-painted roof mandatory? That should make a visible change to the albedo? A friend of mine painted his roof recently with a reflective white paint, and brought the day temperature in his house down by almost 6 degrees C.

The irony of the fabled 'hydrogen economy' is that water vapour (hydrogen-run cars' exhaust) is a much more effective greenhouse gas that CO2. So, if everybody switches to hydrogen cars, global warming should accelerate if it is indeed our doing. …
I don’t think the amount of water vapor that would be emitted by many car-capable (50+ KW) hydrogen fuel cells would have a significant impact, compared to natural evaporative sources. Even if it was, adding a heat-exchange system to condense the vapor into liquid would be a trivial and inexpensive addition to the system.

Another option is a closed system with no exhaust whatever. Under this scheme, a hydrogen fuel cell becomes simply another type of electric storage battery.

That said, I’m far from certain that the “hydrogen economy” is not just a technological fantasy. Given the current cost and scarcity of materials required for large fuel cells, expectations of it becoming a practical reality seem to me overly optimistic.

Yah i was going to point that out, and if the methan boiled off previously then how did it return to the ocean floor?

Anyway, i believe the melting of the methan hydrates will also release any trapped CO2 which is what has been pointed out. It will also undoubtedly methylize the air we breath. And you thought it smelled bad when I passed gas in the car the other day.

considering how much pollution one volcano eruption puts in the air, we should all be dead. but, we're not. thanks be to the many plants on this earth.

the best solution is to grow plants on the side of the buildings in all the cities.

many acres have been covered, but many acres there are on the surface of the building's sides

Methan is an oderless colorless gas. When released into the atmosphere it froms CO2 and H2O. Mathan Hydrate forms at a depth of 300 meters or greater on the ocean floor. It's boiling point is about 3 degrees above the present average global temperature. If it were to boil off today it would produce twice as much CO2 as burning all the fossil fuel contained in the Earth. Does that produce a potential death threat for the human race? I don't know, but it is something to think about.

Much of the hydrogen will probably come from the electrolysis of water to produce hydrogen, such that the water output from combustion will be a wash with respect to the water used for hydrogen formation, Water may be a good green house gas but it also condenses due to hydrogen bonding. This will assure that the water vapor from hydrogen cars is recycled back to the earth as clouds and rain. The real problem is that hydrogen combustion is very hot. This means if air is used, the oxygen in the air can react with the nitrogen in the air to produce NOx or nitrogen oxide gases. These combined with the output water to produce nitric acid. This could act as a fertilizer if it is neutralized by soil alkalinity. Without soil alkilinity nitric acid will increase the acid level of the soil.