Science Forums

Can Negative Jokes Really Cause Depression?

wiseshopper

So, I have a classmate whom I used to make fun of. Well, I wasn't bullying him. I know I wasn't. I was just making him laugh because he seemed to be so serious all the time.

However, just a week or so ago,I heard him talking to a friend saying my jokes often make him sad. And after that, he started skipping classes and he's nowhere to be found. I learned he was diagnosed with depression.

I am worried that maybe it's my fault that he became depressed. I do not know if he is already seeing a doctor. But, I want to help him. I somehow feel guilty that in one way or another, I caused him to be sad.

I would feel the same way too. But the problem is you aren't even sure if he wants to talk to you or even see you again. Anyway, you can still try reaching out to him and let him know that you didn't mean it. You can also check out some depression treatments, suggest a therapy or anything that can help him go through with it...that could perhaps ease your guilt feeling too.

So, I have a classmate whom I used to make fun of. Well, I wasn't bullying him. I know I wasn't. I was just making him laugh because he seemed to be so serious all the time.

However, just a week or so ago,I heard him talking to a friend saying my jokes often make him sad. And after that, he started skipping classes and he's nowhere to be found. I learned he was diagnosed with depression.

I am worried that maybe it's my fault that he became depressed. I do not know if he is already seeing a doctor. But, I want to help him. I somehow feel guilty that in one way or another, I caused him to be sad.

Depression can be an illness, or a sign of illness, and you no more caused the depression than you could cheer him up out of it.  When someone is depressed they may react negatively to even the most positive of statements.  In my experience it is not a good idea to try to make people who are "so serious all the time" laugh.  Some people just do not have a sense of humor, and there is not telling how someone else will interpret a "joke".  Have you ever tried to compliment someone who suffers from low self-esteem?  They just can't take a compliment any more than a depressed person can take a joke.

Sometimes the only thing we can do is let someone know they can talk to us and we can just listen.  Almost all of us are unqualified to "fix" other people.

:yeahthat:

I agree with everything Farming Guy just said. And it's much more complicated. My daughter suffers from depression and is on drugs and therapy, but if you'd met her before she was diagnosed, you'd never guess. She has a great sense of humor and laughs rather easily.

Also, "serious" people may just be jerks.

As our resident farmer says, in either case, just letting them know we can listen is the best approach.

The thing to be aware of just as a general rule whether people have depression or not is that it's best to make sure your humor falls into the "laughing with them rather than laughing at them." If you're going to make fun of someone or their traits, be sure they deserve it, and even then, check your Karma balance before you do.

The gods too are fond of a joke, :phones:

Buffy

Thank you Farming guy and Buffy for taking time and giving me wise advice. I really appreciate you both. I'll let him know that I am sorry for the times that I made joke on him. I'll message him that I am here whenever he needs someone to talk to.

ToryRodgers, I did some research about the depression therapies and read that talk therapy can really help in such situations. I will message him in his Facebook about trying online therapy or face to face therapy to help him with his depression.