Science Forums

Does Marijuana Fine-Tune Our Muscle Memory?

Super Polymath

We know the CBD oil is a wonder drug, and can treat epilepsy or is medically approved specifically to treat epilepsy, and that it's the THC that's bad, the thing that makes you high is the THC not the CBD oil.

So what else can CBD oil do? 

Also treat Parkinson's

But why? Why does it treat two conditions that cause poor motor skills (control of muscles)?

I dug around and found the obvious correlation between white matter volume and reaction times. Reaction times, muscle memory, coordination, reflexes, dexterity these are all terms that are synonymous with motor performance, the control of your muscles. Pump enough cortisol into someone and you get hysterical strength, 90 lbs women lifting the side of a car half an inch. This is because when a person picks fight over flight the cortisol acts to augment motor performance. 

So what does all this have to do with toking? Same reason the CBD oil treats Parkinson's and Epilepsy,, it increases white matter volume throughout the CNS

Hi there, Super Polymath. 

Weed treats epilepsy, sure. But it doesn't fix it. Weed treats epilepsy in the same way that alcohol does. It's a downer. And any downer will treat epilepsy just fine. When I feel a seizure coming on, my first port of call is a beer. Or a shot of whiskey. Or any alcohol. Because alcohol is a downer, and it's absorbed quickly. Much quicker than time-release tablets. It slows down the synapses where an overload causes a seizure. And that's about it. There's nothing magical to marijuana. It's not a magical cure-all. It's simply a massive downer. And it works - you feel a fit coming and you have a quick doobie, you're fine. It does nothing for the cause of the ailment, though. 

Edited by Boerseun

• 1 year later...

Hi there, Super Polymath. 

Weed treats epilepsy, sure. But it doesn't fix it. Weed treats epilepsy in the same way that alcohol does. It's a downer. And any downer will treat epilepsy just fine. When I feel a seizure coming on, my first port of call is a beer. Or a shot of whiskey. Or any alcohol. Because alcohol is a downer, and it's absorbed quickly. Much quicker than time-release tablets. It slows down the synapses where an overload causes a seizure. And that's about it. There's nothing magical to marijuana. It's not a magical cure-all. It's simply a massive downer. And it works - you feel a fit coming and you have a quick doobie, you're fine. It does nothing for the cause of the ailment, though. 

Um, no. Marijuana is a psychedelic actually. It has a stimulant effect on the circulatory system. Ironically, some people swear by its ability to treat their anxiety while others go into uncontrollable anxiety upon ingestion. 

I agree that marijuana does not treat seizures or their catalysts, but it can be mighty effective at reducing the number and severity of occurrences. For some people, especially in extreme cases, this can be an absolute godsend.

We know the CBD oil is a wonder drug, and can treat epilepsy or is medically approved specifically to treat epilepsy, and that it's the THC that's bad, the thing that makes you high is the THC not the CBD oil.

Why the hell is THC 'bad' exactly? Because it alters your mental state? That's really dumb. So does meditation!

Why the hell is THC 'bad' exactly? Because it alters your mental state? That's really dumb. So does meditation!

Historically, because the US government used to be racist AF and wanted a reason to deport people with high melanin content. Modern day, because the DEA and ATF need "wins" to secure their budget; their jobs are literally on the line if they don't constantly "win" on paper.  Now that the IRS is getting some sweet sweet sniffs of mary-jane monies that might change.

So what else can CBD oil do? 

Also treat Parkinson's

But why? Why does it treat two conditions that cause poor motor skills (control of muscles)?

I dug around and found the obvious correlation between white matter volume and reaction times.(FIX TO BROKEN LINK)  Reaction times, muscle memory, coordination, reflexes, dexterity these are all terms that are synonymous with motor performance, the control of your muscles. Pump enough cortisol into someone and you get hysterical strength, 90 lbs women lifting the side of a car half an inch. This is because when a person picks fight over flight the cortisol acts to augment motor performance. 

So what does all this have to do with toking? Same reason the CBD oil treats Parkinson's and Epilepsy,, it increases white matter volume throughout the CNS

Ehhh, THC is a serotonin analogue. Which is why it gives people the munchies; majority of serotonin use being to regulate the digestive tract. 

Second link isn't indicative of causation, only correlation. It is far more likely that that brain morphology is just more susceptible to substance abuse. Wonder what the images for chronic smokers, spooners, and drinkers look like in comparison? Seems smaller frontal lobes are a common trait of Obsessives and Users in general. 

It's like Boersun pointed out: it's a neuro depressent, it "slows down" signals from overly jumpy pathways in a similar way to some SSRI by straight out blocking the reuptake pathway with a flood.

In conclusion, I don't think it "fine tunes" muscle memory, really.

Edited by GAHD

If you want to legally always be high on serotonin just take a legal serotonin uptake inhibitor, Legal marijuana.

• Citalopram (Celexa)
  • Escitalopram (Lexapro)
  • Fluoxetine (Prozac)
  • Paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
  • Sertraline (Zoloft)
  • Vilazodone (Viibryd)

Never forget if the US government and others can make money off of it of course it will be legal. If you or I can make money off of it, it will always be illegal to sell a substance with the same effect. You and I have just not paid off the politicians enough money to make it legal is the problem with legal marijuana. Where as the Corporate Pharmaceutical company and healthcare company has definitely paid them a great deal of money its called FDA approval.

So the truth of the matter is simple if you want your voice heard look them square in the eye and offer them a bribe.

A couple Billion dollars in the hands of politicians from a lobbyist will instantly get it legalized.

This is about how much exactly it will cost you per year to get your voice heard.

See if the chart looked like this it would be legal.

lobbying-big-spenders.jpg

Now taking donations for the "U.S. Legalization of Marijuana fund" 's 250 million dollar per year lobbying budget....... , Estimated bribery needed per year to buyout the U.S. Government at current rates.

Edited by VictorMedvil

• 1 year later...

I do not know about motor performance. but cbd helps me alot to grow muscles. Because the most important thing in muscle growth is full recovery of muscules and nerves. And cbd is a great product for it. It relaxes nerver and sleep becomes much more deepre. Muscle recover faster while you sleep. I prefet to consume cbd as vape. I have a vape pen and I simply vape it after a training session before sleep.

Edited by GAHD
spam rules violation strike 1

• 9 months later...

I agree that CBD is a miracle drug that cures almost everything. I personally tried it, and I know that it works, despite that there is no scientific proof of that. However, many people are afraid to try CBD because it is made out of hemp, and it contains THC. Usually, high-quality CBD oil contains approximately 0,3% of THC. It is way less comparing with weed that people smoke. This amount of THC won’t make you high or addicted to CBD. I usually order on knockoutcbd.com vape pens that contain CBD oil, and I can say for sure that they help me to relax, but don’t make me high.

Edited by VanessaWalsh

CBD can be a lot higher than 0.3% and it is used in vapes, which are used quite commonly used amongst drug takers now, to allow them to smoke in public, according to an ex police officer I know. According to a chemist who wouldnt sell me liquid parafin until I told her why I wanted it, liquid parafin is used to mix drugs with to vape.

But if its THC in Cannabis you are after ingesting, why not just eat a some leaves, instead of smoking it. I guess if you want a quick hit, smoke it, if you have time, eat it. I would assume for a long peaceful sleep eating has to be better than smoking. Or even mix it with distilled alcohol and a make a drink with similar effects to Absinth. 

Just Smoke it, it is good for ya, though my drug dealer always wants to make liquid THC and I told him to use a coffee maker with Ethyl alcohol instead of water.

Edited by VictorMedvil

I dont smoke, something to do with being a fit bastard.

Does heating the alcohol improve the absorption of the THC, from the leaves. Doesnt heating the alcohol evaporate the alcohol?

I have an alembic and recently made some 80% alcohol which I diluted to 55%, should I dilute it a bit further, to avoid the evaporation of all my alcohol in the coffee maker?

If heating accelerates the THC absorption, leaving the leaves in the alcohol over a few weeks will also absorb the THC at a slower rate, but retain the alcohol, adding a bit of sugar might make it not suitable for diabetics.

The THC will disolve into the ethyl alcohol, THC doesn't disolve in water very well but does in alcohol(https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/cannabis-extractions-alcohol/).

Edited by VictorMedvil

Edit hot or cold alcohol for best THC absorption? 

Could a hot toddy made with 60% alcohol a spoon full of sugar and cannabis help with covid-19, Or is it likely to cause liver failure :) ?

I think Hot alcohol is better for THC absorption which is why a coffee maker is used, but it is more likely to cause you to get really high. Actually you are dissolving the THC into the Ethyl Alcohol.

Edited by VictorMedvil

• 1 year later...

THC isn't bad. It's just another cannabinoid found in Cannabis. I find it to be energizing. It also boosts your attention to detail, creativity and problem solving abilities. During the Pandemic I've been doing a lot of my work coding, and working on software engineering problems and schematics at home. This has allowed me to experiment. I am designing much more creative and functional schematics. At least that's what my employer says. Then in my off time, I am playing Chess. My game is progressing nicely. I'm seeing moves I would't normally see, I also am better able to plan moves ahead carefully & creatively.

CBD & THC, CBG, and the hundreds if other cannabinoids all work synergistically with one another, so CBD alone is not best. Still I usually have used a weaker THC strain when working. Too much can cause your mind to water off topic. A little is best, because it helps me to think outside the box. Of course, like anything, it can be addictive, so if you have an addictive personality, it is best to be careful. Luckily it is not a trait in my family, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to figure this out.

We have begun working again, an unfortunately there is drug testing. My employer isn't seeing the same kind of work, and asked me what changed. It is still good, but as my employer said, "what has happened to your extraordinary work?" I was upright and honest, and he even admitted to using. He said that he has also used, and he wished the outdated law would change. 

• 3 weeks later...