Science Forums

Where Does The Energy Come From ?

deschoe

I thought you won't calculate the machine why don't you do it

You are the one making the claim, so you do the math. For one thing, you have not specified how fast you want these cubes to be moving in a given time (acceleration). F=ma so far all you have is the mass. Also, by what means are they moving? Tweezers? LOL

what a funny forum, one refuses to watch videos, another declares himself an expert and a third wonders how to move cubes  but whatever :

You forgot to mention the crackpots. They are the funniest!

(exchemist beat me to it) :cussing:

I take it you are not capable of doing your own math? F=ma, Work = ∫ F ds

Can you take it from there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCEFDyoBaE

Ah! So it is tweezers, and what looks like a bent coat hanger! LOL

yes internet is a problem. if someone wants to save his faith according to his worldview he must forbid himself watching videos. yes its a cold cold world, the internet.

You can show a lot in a video, but you can also control what is seen and thus obscure reality.  I have watched enough Bugs Bunny to know that you can do things in animation that just won't work in reality.

thats right, but you cant post a video which satisfies everybody. a video can always be a fake, but in these videos you can see what you have to do to proove it by your own, because otherwise you need to trust a stranger in the internet, and I would never trust anybody who trusts the internet. so make the attemps and make a video for the rest inhere and only make the real attemps you can see in

( 4.28 ->, 5.20->, 9.20 ->, 17.35 )

Edited by deschoe

Okay, I watched the video one more time, and I can clearly see someone lifting a block off one side and placing it on the other, and then pulling a block from underneath top transport it to the bottom of the other.  You have to lift the block, which requires work, and then you have to pull down the block, which requires still more work, so even if you neglect the sideways transportation, you are still lifting up and pulling down.  That is where the energy is coming from.  

Do you want us to "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"?  

Okay, I've had two semesters of physics in college, the same one all first year engineering students and physics majors had to take.  First, to take the block off the top of the one side, you have to overcome the force of friction, then at the bottom, you still have the friction going the other way, as well as pushing against the air on top and the water on the bottom.  Also, in the part of the video that is not a cartoon, you are lifting the block, putting even more work in..

Much as we may love Bugs Bunny, there is no way for us to live in his world.

the mentioned friction appears suddenly in a warming of the system. so the work youve done made the system warmer, but the falling and rising tubes make the system warmer again, so the system at least is warmer then the ammount of work youve done, but where does this additional warming come from even Bugs put it in ? 

Edited by deschoe

why do you ask me, if you dont belive me anywhere, ask a physicist you trust, why a horizontal movment means no physical work 

It is no wonder you believe in the crackpot notion of perpetual motion; you don’t have a clue about the nature of work and energy!

No work is done on your cube only during the time it is being carried horizontally at a constant velocity.

However, it is necessary to push forward on the cube with a force, for a brief period of time to accelerate it from rest on the raised floater to a constant velocity. Finally, it is necessary to exert a force on the cube again to accelerate it back to rest in order to place it on the second floater.

Work is done at the beginning of the horizontal motion and again at the end of the horizontal motion, even disregarding the vertical work of lifting.

In brief, you are doing work any time you change the kinetic energy of an object by exerting a net force on it, and the work done is equal to the object's change in kinetic energy.

Who do you think you are fooling?