Science Forums

Help on very Basic Calculus

Welcome to Hypography, Queztacotl.

The answer to such a question could be very long indeed!

In the simplest manner, you have the notion of functions and the definition of limits, derivatives and integrals. Are you familiar with these?

I don't understand what you're asking, Queztacotl. Calculus isn't something they hand out on plates, it is something you need to learn from someone. Like in school or from a book. Like Qfwfq told you the topic is too broad to give any more meaningful advice than that.

Yes, thats a good website, is there more advanced topics of Calculus that the basics would not cover, is the whole topic of Calculus a difficult one, by reading information off that website would I be able to solve Mathematical Problems associated with Calculus.

MathWorld has everything you want to know about calculus. The presentation is not instructional though. For that you will need a classroom environment. You might find calculus.org helpful as well.

I have an exam in two and a half years and one topic is Calculus
Two and a half years is plenty of time to learn calculus, if you go about it the right way, even a tiny spot more than the basics.

Currently, what kind of things do you know, besides arithmetic and similar things? Do you know algebra, exponentials logs and trigonometry?

You see, over in Ireland, there is a Junior Cert and a Leaving Cert. I have completed my junior cert and beginning my Leaving Certificate Course. The Junior Cert course covers a lot of the algebra Eg. Quadratic Equations, and using x all the time. I have done basic trigonometry which involves Cosine Tan and Sine to find angles and lengths of sides, I have done 10 Theorems, Basics of The Line, and Statistics.The Leaving Cert. Course covers everything elso on a higher level Eg, Calculus etc. I havent done Expotential Logs yet. Currently during summer I am supposed to study and in school in September the Maths Teacher will tell us but I don't think there is enough time to cover the whole course and so I want to learn Calculus fully! I know most algebra!

The best thing is to follow the teacher's lessons and schedules and do what you can at home but without panicking. You can find exponantials and logs in the link C1ay provided and there you can also find the definition of limits. After the notion of limit is quite clear you could even understand the definition of derivation.

Not to fast though, take the right time to get things clear. If you have specific questions about specific details you can always seek help on these boards. :xx:

Calculus is a pretty big thing.

As someone once said:

If calculus was invented today, they would show it to a business, and they would give it a week or two, then throw it out, as it wouldn't have the Return On Investment needed.

You will need to put in quite a lot of work. I suggest getting a good calculator, one which can handle pretty much anything you throw at it, whilst letting you put the equations in as you would write them. I've got a Sharp EL-9300 which did me well through a maths-intensive degree, and still sees use today (although probably obsolete by now, it has the same batteries in it!)

The Solver function is also great for checking that you re-arranged an equation correctly!

ok here's something basic:

f(x) = x^3

that means the derivative is:

f'(x) = 3x^2

that's f'(x) = nx^(n-1) for simple terms like this.

that's probably the most basic thing that I can think of, but if you want a real explaination, you may want to follow one of those links.

By the way, the long way to do that nx^(n-1) is:

lim f(x + h) - f(x)

h->0 -----------------

h

I'm going by memory, but I think that's right. I guess if you don't know derivatives, then you probably don't know limits though.

well yeah trying to learn calculus without learning to differentiate and intergrate would be like learning to run before you walk... it is really helpful if you can differentiate and intergrate by sight(because your going to be doing it a lot), that is you learn all the rules but just apply them in your head, saves time. so rules like product, quotient and chain rule - a yr12 text book (or equivalent) should have this kind of stuff in it.

heres a couple of semi-advanced questions for those that enjoy differentiating

differentiate wrt x, y = x / √(36 - x^2)

y = √(2x - 1) / e^2x