Science Forums

Oh geez, my specimen is rottening.

It get it drunk so it doesn't care if it rotts.... :naughty:

The best way to preseve insect species is to keep them in the freezer for a few weeks... That will dry them out so you can mount them.

If you want to keep them in a presevative you can usually order formalin through just about any scientic supplier as well. Ethanol isn't the best because it will hydrate over time and loose its preservative properties. Formalin is a bit nasty too, it is carcinogenic and smells, but is usually the liquid of choice for preserving specimens.

It get it drunk so it doesn't care if it rotts.... :naughty:

The best way to preseve insect species is to keep them in the freezer for a few weeks... That will dry them out so you can mount them.

If you want to keep them in a presevative you can usually order formalin through just about any scientic supplier as well. Ethanol isn't the best because it will hydrate over time and loose its preservative properties. Formalin is a bit nasty too, it is carcinogenic and smells, but is usually the liquid of choice for preserving specimens.

Yeah, I actually left out formaldehyde on purpose because of the toxicity. IMO, it's really for experienced handlers. The only non formaldehyde solution that came to mind was ethanol. It works OK for bugs and stuff but then again, we really don't know what he trying to preserve. If it's bigger than a couple of inches in cross section even a formaldehyde application would need to be injected in the deeper tissues since it will only soak in about an inch.

___Rubbing alchohol comes in different solutions, eg. 70%, 90%, etc. I'm no chemist, but it is very different than ethanol inasmuch as it's poison.

___Not all states sell ethanol in their liquor stores. Here in Washinton they don't, but across the river (Columbia) in Oregon they do; the brand name is Everclear. Everclear is 200 proof, ie 100% ethanol. Any drinking alchohol under 200 proof contains water as well as inumerable other compounds depending on the type. Vodka is distilled from potatoes, rum from sugar cane, whiskey from grains, etc. Add to that aging in wooden barrels which adds compounds.

___As Fishteacher points out, drying is common, & freeze drying even better. How have you been processing them Huang? Are they large beetles or small? My favorite local beetle here in the Pacific NW is the Stag Beetle; big gnarly mandibles & wing spans of up to 6"!

;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...