Science Forums

Space Ends

zazzzoom

i dont think space could just end... coz then what would happen if you traversed into the boundary....

i am a fan of living in a finite universe, but a non-terminating one... ie it is hypershereical or hyperdonut shaped

Do to our limits on velocity even if space had some boundary we'd never be able to reach it. That would apply even if we someday invented some means of getting around C. Most of the modern ideas that allow for such have their own limits as far as energy goes on how fast one could move themselves. If its finite and unbounded it might as well be bounded since in neither case we can ever hope to traverse it all.

Do to our limits on velocity even if space had some boundary we'd never be able to reach it. That would apply even if we someday invented some means of getting around C. Most of the modern ideas that allow for such have their own limits as far as energy goes on how fast one could move themselves. If its finite and unbounded it might as well be bounded since in neither case we can ever hope to traverse it all.
This may not be true in the theoretical "Balloon Universe", where the universe is constantly expanding. If the universe is expanding, which is supported by telescope observation, then our planet is travelling in the direction of the "end" of the universe at nearly the same speed as the expansion is happening, this keeps the distances of planets, galaxies, edges of universe :D scaled. Kind of like 2 people in a 10' circular pool that are 6' away from one another and 2' away from the edges. If the size of the pool is increased to 25', to maintain symmetry between distance:person, distance:edge the people would then need to be 10' away from each other and 4.5' away from the edges. As the pool gets bigger and bigger theses distances will steadily increase. If we were able to travel faster than c (299,792,458 m/s) in the direction of the "end" of the universe our travel would be faster than what it appeared to be and if the universe wasn't expanding at exponential rates (far exceeding the speed of light) chances are we would eventually hit the end, and who knows what would happen :). In order to reach the end though, we would need to be travelling at exponentially increasing rates of speed that exceeded thos of our expanding universe, and since material cannot exist at those speeds, it will never happen:).

Off topic- Anyone what the top speed is for *anything* to travel without disintegrating?

Okay, you got me there. But what I really meant was something like a piece of wood or metal, or maybe even a human ( I know the radiation would fry and kill us before we even got near light speed), but, hypothetically, if there wasn't radiation that could kill us what would be "the" speed?

Okay, you got me there. But what I really meant was something like a piece of wood or metal, or maybe even a human ( I know the radiation would fry and kill us before we even got near light speed), but, hypothetically, if there wasn't radiation that could kill us what would be "the" speed?

Speed, in and of itself, does not generate any radiation. Theoretically a piece of metal or wood could travel at light speed too if the energy requirement did not go to infinity. Then there is the damage from collisions at high speed. At speeds much lower than c small particles are like missiles. It wouldn't take long even at a small fraction of the speed of light for a dusty nebula to sand blast your piece of metal or wood to nothing.

• 1 month later...

so this universe - simplified to the surface of a sphere - if space was shaped thus then it would be possible to experience gravity towards yourself, yes? it would be very small (very) and also cancel out coz it comes in all directions, but it would be there right?

first off, your theory is not a theory, it's an idea.

and your idea of "manas" light years apart sounds like galaxies to me.

and the universe is huge, i don't think that the human mind can even comprehend in their minds the size of the universe. and just because something is big, doesn't mean it's infinite.

and also, what was irrational about the above posts? :eek:

OK first things first... I babble a lot, so if i said theory thats not what i meant. It is an idea. and i meant manas to be clusters of galaxies, not individual galaxies. And i can comprehend the size of the universe in my head.. i dont know about you. I dont mean this as an insult, i mean to just clear things up. And i realize quite well that big is a relative term. BUt so is huge for that matter. I guess my suggestion was that A mana is the cluster of galaxies we know are there. BUt what if there were many more manas, that are a googol of "light-eras" away? That would mean that the known universe is many many times larger than we thought.

ANd so basically there was not only one big bang in one seperate area, but there were many and the clusters of galaxies, "manas", were spread out and keep on spreading out until they fall back into the center of where they came. And then the possibility of a BIG BANG that started it all... THE GREAT BIG BANG!!! :eek:

Of course this is all just an idea, and this all falls into my other idea which i believe is in a different thread called "the multiple universe theory", that all these manas are subatomic particles, and we (our universe) are made of something bigger. We could be an atom in the cell of some alien creature's behind. Either way here we are.

Also... i never said any of the above posts were irrational, i said my post may seem like that to you but its just an idea... :eek: