Science Forums

Computer build off discussions

Well, no time to do research, but here's a random thought: You could save big by putting practically no memory on the thing; just enough to get Linux to boot with no X Server or anything... It would run Hello World! with a loop in a terminal shell fast as blazes!

Cheers,

Buffy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops! Sorry! Missed that part! Still, it favors a Linux box since you need a lot less memory for the OS and you can run without the X Server too... You might wanna specify *what* games its supposed to run decently, since some of us old-timers would be happy to just play Zork and hack....

Cheers,

Buffy

cool idea. let me have a go. at work at mo so doing this quick. DFI lan party mobo. amd 3200 E stepping. bfg 6800gt. 2x512mb ch5. 2x seagate barracudas in raid 0. All retail. tagan psu 420w. Any old alluminium case. About £600. Probably about the same price in dollars as you lot have got it made with computer component prices. Damn you all!

Maybe wrong with those prices though so ill check when i get home but newegg will be around this price i would think but :)

ps. nice new features on the site T... havent been here in a while you see

Ooops! Sorry! Missed that part! Still, it favors a Linux box since you need a lot less memory for the OS and you can run without the X Server too... You might wanna specify *what* games its supposed to run decently, since some of us old-timers would be happy to just play Zork and hack....

Cheers,

Buffy

Actually, I think I can fit nethack on my Linux boot floppy so I could probably build without even having a hard drive or CD. Then again, I remember playing some games I wrote in machine code on my old ZX81 than ran in the 1k of ram the box came with. I wonder what a Z80 processor costs these days?

Dfi nf4 UT ultra D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152 = $131

AMD 3200+ venice http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1028&PropertyCodeValue=507%3A6980&PropertyCodeValue=517%3A7439&PropertyCodeValue=509%3A16279&PropertyCodeValue=510%3A7367&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=343&Submit=Property = $199

OCZ Gold DDR400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211 = $158

Seagate Barracude NCQ 2x 80GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148040 = $135

ATI X800 pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102496 = $260

Total = $883

Add $117 for PSU and DVD burner (probably have to skimp on dvd) - couldnt find any PSU's that i fancied on newegg so didnt include link. But ill have another quick look later.

This is a good system and sould meet the requirements of any gamer/enthusiast, apart from ones that go for WR's on the Orb.

What you think Alex? Tickle your fancy? Or should i revise?

i think that you have no case or power supply to go with that so it wont run... :shrug:

I think its definately not a bad system (althought I'd go with an nvidia card, since there is no price on OS, it can get Linux, but the ATI chipsets are not that well supported, although they do have generic 3d accel drivers), but if you could perhaps post it in the competitions side, it would get admitted to the competition... (p.s. if noone else enters you win the package)

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, ok, so the final prize is a Hypograpy Tshirt, that subscription plan (free ofcourse) and a puzzle pack? Does that sound good for 5 minutes that it takes to put together a system?

P.S. I solved that star puzzle, oh and there is a way you can make a funny/cartoon star out of it too :)

I'll have to follow my own rules and post here, geko, great system, but i thought i made it pretty clear that you are building the box, and the price of the OS does not matter and is not included in the total, plus what a waste of a perfectly good 3000+ box anyways... (this is not the place to even discuss operating systems, nevermind advantages of Pro over Home, but i'd just like to say, that even for a user who has never used a computer before, out of the 2 Windows XPs, Pro is clearly the way to go... but start a thread if you wanna discuss this :hyper:)

Nice job though, BTW you have about 100 bucks to spare... so i suggest you edit your submission and utilize them :eek: you are currently in the lead...

• 1 month later...

This has been going for a little bit too long, I thought it would be a fun little activity that should take up 5 minutes and you get a bunch of prises, I will anounce the winner this FRIDAY!

To remind all of you, you will be getting a hypo t-shirt, puzzle pack and a free subscribtion plan described somewhere above. There is still time...