Science Forums

Hydrogen Absorption By Mercury

Little Bang

I'm sure there's other instances, but I know of at least one: hydrogen embrittlement

Hydrogen embrittlement can occur during various manufacturing operations or operational use - anywhere that the metal comes into contact with atomic or molecular hydrogen. Processes that can lead to this include cathodic protection, phosphating, pickling, and electroplating. A special case is arc welding, in which the hydrogen is released from moisture (for example in the coating of the welding electrodes; to minimize this, special low-hydrogen electrodes are used for welding high-strength steels). Other mechanisms of introduction of hydrogen into metal are galvanic corrosion, chemical reactions of metal with acids, or with other chemicals (notably hydrogen sulfide in sulfide stress cracking, or SSC, a process of importance for the oil and gas industries).

Hydrogen cannot form an alloy, as it is not a metal, and alloys are combinations of two or more metals. Hydrogen can, however, form compounds. As for a compound with mercury, here is a page detailing HgH2, known as mercury dihydride, and here is what seems to be a paper solely on mercury hydrides. However, I have only glanced over the first page, and have not yet looked through the paper, so I cannot vouch for their credibility.

Hydrogen cannot form an alloy, as it is not a metal, and alloys are combinations of two or more metals.
Actually, it is a metal... of sorts. It is non metallic in ordinary conditions when pure and its theoretically predicted metallic state is highly exotic, requiring enormous pressures. This is pretty much due to the fact that there is no "other" electron in each atom and therefore, in the metallic state of pure hydrogen, the only ones would be the conduction ones.

As for alloys with hydrogen, they can even occur in ordinary conditions (much like hydrides).

• 1 year later...

Actually, it is a metal... of sorts. It is non metallic in ordinary conditions when pure and its theoretically predicted metallic state is highly exotic, requiring enormous pressures. This is pretty much due to the fact that there is no "other" electron in each atom and therefore, in the metallic state of pure hydrogen, the only ones would be the conduction ones.As for alloys with hydrogen, they can even occur in ordinary conditions (much like hydrides).

PALLADIUM HYDRIDE

Some metals have amazing properties, After my attempt to expand the periodic table one transition metal stuck out Palladium 46, Within my table it had an electron seq 2 8 18 17 1 but its actual seq (now) is 2 8 18 18, So to me it seemed like it was a case of electron shell jumping where opposing tables joined and energy was released, which seemed to leave a space within my joined tables that needed filling, After looking into palladium i was surprised by its hydrogen absorption, its ability to absorb upto 900 times its own volume of hydrogen at room temperature, so a lb of palladium can absorb 900lbs of hydrogen,It seems like palladium was trying to fill this missing shell to to get back to its higher energy state.

fig 1/2 shows the elements following what i believe was there energy states before two tables joined fig 3 shows the electron sequences as they are now believed to be, you will notice the only palladium 46 as an empty valence shell.

http://alphaomegadotme.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/grouped-elements-old-quarkstargalaxyuniv.xls