Science Forums

Critical/Logical Thinker to Kick believers' ASS?

stardust

I am taking Business Law at college, and I am supposed to write a paper about faith. I know it has got nothing to do with actual "law", but my prof want us to use critical thinking skill to justify what I believe. Why do you believe in certain thing? Why is it true? I am an Atheist who is in Christian unversity, and it always annoys me when I have to do assignment like this. They have the program that I want to study, so I am still in the school. I don;t mean to disrespect Christian people, but I think it is human ego. I think that religion works because human beings are weak and selfsh. I don't believe in god at all. Everytime I am feeling down, I find myself asking some sort of higher power for help. I think people tend to find God when they are weak. I think that religion works because many people want to believe that God has a plan for everybody and would somehow take care of us...

I have never really learned "critical thinking", but he explained that we are not supposed to say " I am a Christian because I grew up in Christian household". Instead of that, you have to have logical reasoning to back up your belief. I just want to get you guys help. What would you say if you had to use critical/logical thinking tojustify what you believe in?

Even thoguh I appreciate different point of view, non-believers'/atheists' opinions would help me a lot since that is where I stand. I need to kick my prof's *** because my prof and rest of class is ALL christians. Not everybody, but most of them are really judgemental about people who don't believe in Christian god, and I am not ok with that. Helpme to write a kick *** paper :xx:

Helpme to write a kick *** paper :xx:
There's already plenty of great material all over this website. Just browse through what's already been written. Good luck. I must say as a christian - I hope it backfires on you. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to someone trying to dissprove God.:)

Don't worry about kicking people's ***, because it won't get you anywhere.

I doubt that most people in your class will be able to write honestly about their faith. I say this because I frankly don't think most people ever question the reason they have a faith. It is - especially with young people - something they either inherit from home (as you point out) or something they are experimenting with.

Christians don't have logical reasoning to back up their faith. They have *faith*. That cannot be explained by logic. So I predict that a lot of those papers will have a lot of mumbo jumbo about Christianity which has nothing at all to do with why each of the people on your class are religious. Not because they are stupid, but because they cannot explain it better.

So, to the point. Why are you an atheist? Think about it. Try to write down some reasons. I'll try to help you get started with some points, then you can come back and I am sure others will help you out too.

There are also many sources on the web which might help you get ideas for what you can write about. For example http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/

1. Atheism is not a faith. Why?

2. Question the need to have a logical reasoning for a person's belief

3. What is it like to live without a faith? Why does it work for you?

4. What could be the reason you don't have a faith?

Your teacher has an obvious agenda here. How can you give a logical reason for not having a faith if you never had one? It is like explaining the logic behind why you don't have a thousand dollar bill when in fact you never had one.

I must say as a christian - I hope it backfires on you. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to someone trying to dissprove God.:xx:

Hm... I see the smiley but this comment sure shows why Spacedust needs some help, if everyone around him has this attitude.

He is not writing a paper on why there is no god. He is to write a paper on why he has his faith - which is a probelm for him because he doesn't have one.

Hm... I see the smiley but this comment sure shows why Spacedust needs some help, if everyone around him has this attitude.

He is not writing a paper on why there is no god. He is to write a paper on why he has his faith - which is a probelm for him because he doesn't have one.

OK, OK; - but T.; you know I'm not the only one around here with attuitude. I'm just glad there's so much good information and oppinions for him to draw from here in Hypography, on both sides.:xx: (the oppinions of the smiley are not necessisarily the oppinions of the writer. Any connection between the two are soley implied by the reader).:)

A logical argument for not having faith would, I think, be most logical to come from a standpoint of trying to show that there is no logical argument for God. If there is no God, then it would make the most sense to not have faith.

___Stardust, in your opening statement you seem to allow secular belief, eg. you wrote "Why do you believe in certain thing?" It isn't clear to me if the professor specifically said 'religious belief' or you added that.

___Either way it seems logical (critical thinking) to lay out the scientific method, demonstrate how everyone relys on its results, & then conclude with no similar evidence for religious claims.

___Our beliefs are based on our experiences & our abilitys to use reason to draw correct conclusions. (IMO :xx: ) :)

Faith is arbitrary. Assemble any fanciful random statement and run with it: "An ant colony by my side door worships me every Wednesday. They pray and erect ant monuments and have live ant sacrifices hoping I will drop off a Tim Horton's donut hole. NEVER!"

Northern Ireland, Palestine, East Timor, India and Pakistan, Hutus and Tootsies... god loves blood sports and mountains of dead bodies.

Show me a religion that has plans for a working flush toilet in its scripture or a proof of Goldbach's conjecture. If a god is in charge, then that god explicitly ought to know something his priests do not know. A psychotic mob is not evolution in action.

...my prof want us to use critical thinking skill to justify what I believe. Why do you believe in certain thing? Why is it true? I am an Atheist who is in Christian unversity, and it always annoys me when I have to do assignment like this.

I attended a Christian university for a while, and that always annoyed me as well- and I do believe in God! Obviously the point is valid- the prof wants you to think about what you believe, but I understand that it's couched in the unspoken assumption you will write about why you believe what everyone else does- that's not fair, and I understand your feelings.

...I need to kick my prof's *** because my prof and rest of class is ALL christians....

.... and this is why I transfered out of that university (although I did not change my beliefs). It engendered in me a similar feeling- since everybody is supposed to believe the same, I felt compelled to alway argue, take extreme stances, and in general become a worse person, because I felt oppressed by the system. I would caution you to not let your personal annoyance drive a cause to "kick ***," since that doesn't help your cause.

Sadly, private universities like that tend to bring out the worst in some people (like myself) many times, probably as a reactionary response. But it is good for some people, as well, who need that structure and support.

I doubt that most people in your class will be able to write honestly about their faith. ...It is - especially with young people - something they either inherit from home (as you point out) or something they are experimenting with....Christians don't have logical reasoning to back up their faith. They have *faith*. That cannot be explained by logic....
Stardust- There are a number of Christians on this site who contend that Christianity is rational. Many, like Tormod, see theism in general or Christianity in particular as indefensible because the workings of God cannot be demonstrated by the scientific method.

Although I understand Tormod's position, I think it is unreasonable to suggest that the scientific method is a rational analytical tool to evaluate God. That is, Tormod thinks it is irrational to contend that God exists when He cannot be "proven" (by the SM). I think it is irrational to contend that the SM evidenciary model is appropriate for spiritual assessment. I contend we would typically not use the scientific method for any relationship. Imagine using the scientific method to prove that your girlfriend/boyfriend loves you.

In an academic setting, you are free to argue either position. Tormod's position can be easily argued with the help of the references he cited (and many others). But don't let the fact that many Christians have not thought through their beliefs lead you to believe that all have not. Many have.

A psychotic mob is not evolution in action.

If you think about it, yes it is. Why would a psychotic mob not be part of evolution?

Anyway, check out this link I am sure you will find some info in here to help you with your paper....

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/audio/newevidence.htm

This is a big article, if you can read or listen to all of it. This is very interesting, a ton of thought put into this article.. It doesn't disprove of God, but maybe you could put a reverse spin on it, or at least use some of it.

• 3 months later...
I think people tend to find God when they are weak.

Newsflash homie: You ARE weak. You are fragile, imperfect, and temporal. When you (or anyone) are "feeling down," you are not experiencing a moment of weakness, but a moment of reality, which stands in stark opposition to our prideful illusions of self-sufficiency and/or superiority.

A man’s pride will bring him low,

But the humble in spirit will retain honor.”