Science Forums

What makes Creationism so hard to believe in, and evolution so easy?

eMTee

Is there a current unified body that decides what version of the bible is "correct", or is all individual denominations as wellas individual churches that decide which text to use?
No. Every once in a while a new set of scholars gets together and creates a new translation. They are not usually sponsored by a church, unless the church has their own canon (like the LDS). The last large translation efforts were not denominational (RSV, ASB, NASB, NIV). These are large team efforts. I just checked my NASB version, and there is essentially a supervising author for each book of the Bible for the translation. I suspect there were a couple hundred core contributors, but I don't know the actual number.

There are also individuals that write their own versions (e.g., the Living Bible written by Ken Taylor). Taylor wrote one that was mostly for juveniule readers, but not a simplistic as "children's" Bibles. They get critiqued along with all other translations.

The Catholic Bible contains most of the apochryphal books. I don't know how the Catholics maintain their texts. Anyone?

Is theer argument for re-integration of some of these texts?
Maybe. Any christian bookstore has a couple of versions of each of the important manuscripts. This is mostly a question of whether a publisher see demand for it. It is not a question of any church advocacy or preclusion. Most conservative scholars have copies of all of these things. It is true that they do not tend to get used as a basis for church doctrine (except I think the Catholics do- Anyone correct me?), but I am not sure that really matters.

I'm just trying to have a nice civilized discussion on bible history, and here comes buffy barging in and busting balls....sheesh...women. :hihi:
Yep. She is a tough one.

(space for one more entered-and-then-deleted comment that would have been labeled "lecherous" by Buffy)

Yep. She is a tough one.
Why thank you!
(space for one more entered-and-then-deleted comment that would have been labeled "lecherous" by Buffy)
Big Vampire: I've always wanted to kill the Slayer.

Buffy: And I've always wanted piano lessons. So really... who's surprised we've got this unexpressed rage? But honestly, I think I express mine better. Tell you what... you find yourself a good anger management class, and I'll jam this pokey wood stick through your heart.

:hihi:

Cheers!

Buffy

One thing, when the Bible was decided what would be in it and no...they gave every book 5 tests before they would add them into the Bible..if eace one didnt pass all the tests, they would then be layed aside from the cannon.

One thing, when the Bible was decided what would be in it and no...they gave every book 5 tests before they would add them into the Bible..if eace one didnt pass all the tests, they would then be layed aside from the cannon.

who are "they" and what were these 5 tests?

And, in addition to rockytriton's questions... are there other texts then laying around which are not included in the bible? Written by other people who might have been around? What if there are other texts that showed contradicting views of what happened during those times - were they not included because they were contrary to what the Bible's purpose was? I suppose that's part of rocky's question... but that opens up a whole new can of worms, for me...

Resorting to making up stuff as you go now huh? Fiction does not substantiate fiction...

And, in addition to rockytriton's questions... are there other texts then laying around which are not included in the bible? Written by other people who might have been around? What if there are other texts that showed contradicting views of what happened during those times - were they not included because they were contrary to what the Bible's purpose was? I suppose that's part of rocky's question... but that opens up a whole new can of worms, for me...
Do you have any time period in mind? I know, for example that the Egyptian writings made no mention of the flood or the Hebrews. There were lots of Roman and Greek gods and goddesses around just a couple of thousand years ago. No other reliable source mentions the Christian Jesus. The "dead sea" scrolls don't corroborate the biblical testaments. Lots of other cultures have completely different creation stories and stories of great "saviors." Asian and American native religious stories abound. The Chinese, Hindu, and Buddhist religions have been around longer than Christianity. Many pagan legends turned into Bible stories, like Christmas, Easter...

Ok...There where other books that where not included in the Bible cannon,

These tests included, if the books have the power to change lives, if the historical documentation was proven to be dependable and acurate, if they didn't controdict with the rest of the teachings in the other books...this is a skim on the top of my mind, sorry i cannot think of the other 2.

Ok...There where other books that where not included in the Bible cannon,

These tests included, if the books have the power to change lives, if the historical documentation was proven to be dependable and acurate, if they didn't controdict with the rest of the teachings in the other books...this is a skim on the top of my mind, sorry i cannot think of the other 2.

:hihi: I don't think you can provide a single reputable reference to support your 5 tests myth....

Huh? The dead sea scrollls confirmed that the text of Isaiah (for example) as recorded by the Masoretes 1200 years leater was accurate.
They do indeed and many other Old Testament scriptures as well, but interestingly there are a *ton* of writings here that appear not to have passed they mythical "5 tests"...prolly cuz they say things that are severly out of line with dogma...

Cheers,

Buffy

I don't think you can provide a single reputable reference to support your 5 tests myth....

they are mentioned in the Bible.

I don't think you can come up with any reference suporting that the stories in the Bible are falce and never happened.

They do indeed and many other Old Testament scriptures as well, but interestingly there are a *ton* of writings here that appear not to have passed they mythical "5 tests"...prolly cuz they say things that are severly out of line with dogma...
Oh, heavens, yes. There were lots of heretical things, even int he first couple of centuries. I thought that the Dead Sea scroll documents were all before 200BC (confirm, anyone?) so this would have been Jewish heretics, versus Christian heretics. Yes?