Science Forums

I can't and I need to.

Dark Mind

These are the two most incorrect phrases the human mouth can utter, I think.

"I can't." is just a lazy and short way of saying "I don't want to." or "I couldn't.". You never know if you "can't" do something before you try, and if you failed the first time you might succeed the second time.

"I need to.". Wrong. You don't need to breathe. You do, however, need to breathe to accomplish something. That something is living. You never just "need to" do something though, there is always a goal you must to accomplish if you "need" to do it.

Any thoughts?

These are the two most incorrect phrases the human mouth can utter, I think.

"I can't." is just a lazy and short way of saying "I don't want to." or "I couldn't.". You never know if you "can't" do something before you try, and if you failed the first time you might succeed the second time.

"I need to.". Wrong. You don't need to breathe. You do, however, need to breathe to accomplish something. That something is living. You never just "need to" do something though, there is always a goal you must to accomplish if you "need" to do it.

Any thoughts?

I can't leap tall buildings in a single bound.

I need to hit you up for a loan. How much can you spare :eek:

I can't leap tall buildings in a single bound.

I need to hit you up for a loan. How much can you spare ;)

Have you ever tried, and if you have then your answer would be "I couldn't.". (At least I hope so... ;) )

And you might "need" to hit me up for a loan to gain something, but you do not just need to get a loan for no reason. There is no need without cause or reason. (How much do you need. ;))

Water "can't" flow up hill unless it is persuaded to do so by forces that overcome gravity.

There is no try, only do----Yoda.

Water couldn't flow uphill. Who's to say it can't flow uphill in the future. (I personally agree, but to protect the grounds I stand on I must (not need to) defend my point.)

___Rather than deem the phrases incorrect, I suggest the phrases 'I can't' & 'I need' simply suffer from overuse. Convenient outs as you suggest, but they do have proper use.

___I can't remember what else I was about to say so I need to just post & stop. ;)

Since you tried to remember what you were about to say you must use the past tense... couldn't. You may remember in the future.

"Should just post and stop." There is no need to post or stop. You could've just deleted the post (before posting it) and left your computer, or you could've kept on writing and made an even longer post.

Have you ever tried, and if you have then your answer would be "I couldn't.". (At least I hope so... ;))

And you might "need" to hit me up for a loan to gain something, but you do not just need to get a loan for no reason. There is no need without cause or reason. (How much do you need. ;))

Well yes, I have tried and I couldn't.

There is a cause for the money though, moving it from your account to mine ;)

There is no difference between having the ability to do something at a given time and actually doing it, if that is what "needs" to be done. On the other hand, just because you want to do something doesn't mean you "can." For example, you may try to putt the golf ball into the hole but it misses. You may say to yourself, "rats, if only I had aimed a bit more to the left or hit slightly harder." So, you try again and again you miss, because you didn't duplicate the conditions exactly the second time. The point is, in an open system, you, or any other single determining factor, is not in charge. It takes an accumulated set of experiences and circumstances to make something happen. If you had complete knowledge and control over all factors involved in causing an event then the need and the can would be the same.

You can never be positive that something can't be done, and you never need anything just for the sake of "needing" it. As stated before, you may need something to accomplish or finish a goal, but that reason needs to be stated after writing or saying what you need for it to make sense. Otherwise you just want something.