Science Forums

What is the point in human race's music?

ledbassest

I like to buy music that is obscure and little known, like underground rock and things of that nature. There's a lot of great music that never makes it mainstream (I don't generally like the "popular" music).

Music is a wonderful tool to express yourself and to listen to others express themselves. Music has the power to change my mood drastically and I love it!!

I like to buy music that is obscure and little known, like underground rock and things of that nature. There's a lot of great music that never makes it mainstream (I don't generally like the "popular" music).

Music is a wonderful tool to express yourself and to listen to others express themselves. Music has the power to change my mood drastically and I love it!!

All Hail Fluffy!!! Another mind that despises the comercial process that is making moden pop music today....DIY forever! ;)

The people of this world work towards fame, and in the process they lose sight, which is why you all hate popular music. I do agree that underground is great. I listened to Muse and Scrape before they became anywhere near popular. But popular music still has its ups. Behold Metallica, before they were popular they where pretty good, but now they are only for the fame and therefore they now have lightened up and changed their overall tempo as well as their cords and vocals. I know that this was not the best example but it will do.

i think metallica has changed because back...20 or more years ago they were alchoholics and coke heads. now they are sober(er) and older, and experimenting with pro tools! (they were analog their entire lives, the ease of use of pro tools, and the shorter ammount of time it takes to record i'm sure has changed the way they make their music)

for example, their newest one (st. anger i believe?) was just samples of them jamming thrown together locked to a grid in pro tools. they didn't work hard, they didn't even work at all. yeah, that album sucks big time, (actually not a fan of metallica at all, it's just musically really bad) and also they changed their tuning of their instruments from standard, down 2 steps to C G C F A D, what metal bands are doing nowadays.

the only bad thing about "underground" music is the production of their music. most of the time it's done in cheap studios in a day, no real effort to bring out the music at all. but, i'm an audiofile, what can i say? well i can say all of this stuff, and this. ok bad question.

yeah i know what you mean fish. have you heard the new mars volta album? (frances the mute) produced by their guitar player omar. a rodriguez-lopez. that guy amazes me. he produced their past 2 albums as well.

the album sounds amazing, using vintage recording techniques, but getting that huge sound of a good production. and using and doing so much innovating things at the same time.

i could ramble about the mars volta for hours, they amaze me.

I personally am a fan of low tech recording.

I love what the Stray Cats put on the notes on their first (UK) album: "Only the cheapest instruments were employed in the recording of this album." or something to that effect. Not really true though, even when he was poor Brian had that very fine Gretsch...

Cheers,

Buffy

I have leaned a bit more towards At-the-Drive-In. Just me I guess.

Ever like Jawbreaker? Fantastic punk/post-punk that has some of the best lyrics for your money. (Spin-off's of the band are worth noting as well. Jets to Brazil, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Texas is the Reason).

Oh I forgot two essentail bands the other day when I was recomending some..

Slint- Anything by them but "Spiderland" will blow your mind. Masters of dynamics.

My Bloody Valentine- "Loveless" Briliant...a droning wall of mushy guitar. Imagine a blurry Jesus and Mary Chain.

Pavement- its just Pavement....nothing else really needs to be said.

awesome, i'll check them out when i get home.

not trying to sway you at all fish, just giving my opinions on ATDI.

they don't have that chaotic structure and wall of psychedelic noise that the mars volta has. they don't have the haunting album concepts, or the experimentability. (i feel that ATDI was held back by their record company) and i can definitely hear progression in cedrics and omars talent from atdi to the mars volta. PLUS the drummer has the most energy i've heard out of any drummer EVER, and the fact that they are all mexican, and they have a black synth player is AWESOME! woooooooooo i can't wait to get out of this class in 10 minutes. ;)