Science Forums

What is the point in human race's music?

ledbassest

ah i love this post.

music has been around as long as we have. starting with hitting things, like sticks on logs, animal skin drums. it has evolved through all cultures differently, as a form of entertainment.

and when others do manage to change it, major countries (coff coff America) oppress it?

i think you are focusing too hard on the negative side. because when it comes to music, and change, i think american is the biggest place for that. for example; jimi hendrix. he played guitar like nobody else, and changed music. the beetles, they revolutionized pop music.

right now, with the ability to listen to anything, our influences are broader than ever. we can take any style of music and fuse it with any other. when it comes to music, right now, everything is changing.

but, corporate music is what you must be referring to. the record companies want money, so the producers tell the band what to do. yeah, that's not really wonderful, but it makes them money, and keeps the ignorent happy, and that's all they care about.

when people get concerned about music, like you and i, there's one thing left for us to do.

change it. be yourself, work hard, do the best you can, and go out there and blow peoples' minds.

and what laws of music are you talking about?? there are no laws. if you're talking about theory and structure, and how most musicians are basic with it, that's because a lot of people don't even know what music can be. they stick to 4/4 and power chords and sing about girls because that's what they know, that's what people love, and that's what makes them money.

ledbassest, there really are no laws at all. you can do anything and everything with music.

Yeh, there's rock and roll, but uit would be absolutly nowhere w/o jazz and the blues. Two distinctly American musical forms. (Not to say that there have not been important non-American musicians in these realms).

The US has been the proving ground for a lot of new types of music. (BTW The Beatles were from England, orb.)

haha i totally forgot that, yup you're right. goes to show how much i like those guys. (maybe i had to have been living around their era to appreciate them) i was going to get into the evolution of genre, how rock came from jazz and blues, jazz and blues came from big band which came from classical (or you know, something like that) buuuuuuuuuuuuut, yeah. woohoo. exciting thread.

i was talking revolutionize-wise...because i don't believe jazz and blues were a revolution, more like a cultural adaptation over time. am i wrong?

I think its a bit up to personal interpretation, but I think jazz is much further removed from its predecessors than rock is. Jazz truly went into some uncharted territory (both musically as well as socially). Even the term jazz itself at one point was slang for sex.

ALthough I think rock and roll did have large cultural influence, it was to a degree a bit smaller in scope, but larger in magnitude. More people felt the impact of rock and roll.

IMO both jazz and blues were true departures from "traditional" mainstream music and rock and roll is the cultural blending of those two over time

...Even the term jazz itself at one point was slang for sex.

IMO both jazz and blues were true departures from "traditional" mainstream music and rock and roll is the cultural blending of those two over time

Interesting view. By the way, "rock and roll" was slang for sex too.

Maybe music is all about sex?

One must also realize that for most of us we have really not heard much of the worlds music. We predominanly hear western music. Can anyone name more than one musician from the middle east (Aside from Cat Stevens :) )? Perhaps an Austrailian didgeridooist (sp?)? Maybe even just one Asian that is not playing rock and roll?

There are some that merge these global sounds and it can be fascinating, but it takes some time to get an ear for it.

ravi shankar was popular in the 60's when everyone was doing LSD. sitar player. most of the music i have from around the world doesn't have a name on it, i wish it did.

dredg did a song called "an elephant in delta waves" which has a girl egyption singer or something, it's beautiful. check it out if you can.

yeah and it's very true. i was amazed the day i realized how much music is really out there, compared to what i was exposed to.

i'm doing to upload that dredg song up to my server and post it here in a few minutes because it's such a good song i want you to hear it.

i know you weren't trying to lecture, i was just proving your point by showing how limited my knowledge was as well.

Music hath charms that soothe the savage beast. Music is about sex inasmuch as sex is about cooperation; music is about social agreement. No matter what form, culture, time or other subjective restriction one wishes to posit, humans pause en masse for music.

___The point if you will, at least in terms of a social/survival advantage of some kind, is perhaps that the brain alters its wave state in response to music in such a way as to allow clearer thinking and therefore more logical decisions relating to survival. That people experience this together, minding their taste in music, compounds the response in such a way that everyone sees how many other people actually agree with something they believe.

___In a world full of so much contrary behavior, it almost seems natural that music is universal.

But why do we still obey the ordinary laws of it; and when others do manage to change it, major countries (coff coff America) oppress it?

What I was referring to was the way that Americans try to keep music at a steady altering rate so that it will not alter to something as beautiful as Rammstein (slightly-heavy)or to another Queen (even though something like that wouldn't be permitted any ways, because America is extremely homophobic). We like to worship only what we know not the unseen.

well, rammstein probably would scare a lot of people in america. i saw them a few years ago with mudvayne, you know- typical metal show. (broke my toe at that concert) i saw the singer of that band shoot fire 20 feet into the air from some type of mask he was wearing.

yes, their music is good, and slightly different. but the typical closed-minded american wants nothing to do with creepy hard music like that.

and i thought queen was really big for their time? i've never heard of anybody disliking queen just because the singer was gay.

it's sad but true but MOST people stick to their culture and whatever is "cool" or "in" they listen to.

i remember all those stereotypes from middle school.

and then it comes down to listening to what others don't, and claiming that band, and getting pissed off when others listen to them.

it's this disgusting social immature cycle.

mtv (horrible corporation) plays a huge part in this. they really say what's cool and what's not. most people don't realize it at all. i actually think mtv used to play that ramstein song "du hast" occasionally. :)