Science Forums

Daylight Saving Time

Robust

Other than the development of energy resources, my principal occupation is plant development. In both instances I adhere religiously to that angle of incidence ordained by that diurnal arc of the sun to which all life form on this planet is dependent upon and in coincidence with.

I am not the only one to believe that mental disorders and other diseases, particularly in children, is directly related to confusion of the mind, and thus metabolism, as to its place in the sun. Any thoughts on this? Do you think, as do I, that DST (daylight stupid time) should be abolished?

There are many sources that relate photoperiod to various psychological disorders (ie SAD, or Seasonal Affetcive Disorder). I am not personally aware of any specific human studies, but photoperiod will alter various hormonal levels in some animals and it could be reasonably deduced that this could also be an issue.

Diet does play a role, but more than likely not a dominant one in psychological disorders. Perhaps as related to pre-natal care durring early development there would be a reasonable impact.

Scandinavians are well aware of the impact. What I fail to understand about Robust's point is, why withdraw DST? DST aims at improving our use of daylight!

Of course, farmers don't really need DST, their clock is the sun anyway, the difference is for the urban employee and the disco goer.

It makes more difference than that, for all those who are bound to the clock, because the clock follows dawn a little bit.

The best thing would be if clocks were adjusted according to dawn, day per day, except that there is the issue of heating. Nowadays heating is turned on around wake up time and climate has a delay compared to equinoxes and solstices.

I think that Daylight Savings Time may have been useful at one point, but the invention of the electric light, and the shift in our culture from rural to urban have combined to remove the usefulness to the people. However, I think that it is a part of our culture, to the point that we cannot simply abolish it. And, it does not adversely affect us, it simply isn't useful anymore.

For me - as Qwfwq points out - DST is a huge bonus. It makes the mornings much brighter for a long time before summer sets in. It does have a huge positive impact on people like myself, who struggle with the "dark period" that is winter. In summer the problem isn't really there because it is bright all the time.

In fall, the end of DST is just a mark that another summer has passed and winter is approaching.

So for the Scandiavian culture I think it is rather important.

Although I don't think it would matter too much if DST disappeared.

I personally think DST still serves a good purpose by giving us more useful daylight hours after the end of the average working day. I use to think it might be just as practical for everyone to just change the hours at which they begin work or school but then I realized that carried with it a hugh economic impact while moving the clock has virtually none

I have seen an effect where anxiety seems to be more pronounced across society. I

personally don't think the length of daylight time or not has anything to do with it. It

may just be the rate of change of events. Alvin Toeffler had a thesis back in the 70s

about how our culture was not adapting to the increase in the rate change of events.

Compound this with instantaneous media, round the clock. Especially now being

able to customizing the news to fit your desire.

A good example was something that shocked (a bit). Today I heard somewhere in

US a 13 year old boy took a baseball bat to another kid and killed him. I don't know

at the moment what it was over. I assume about baseball (a sport). What shocks

me most is how trivial life is becomming. This is really sad. :xx:

Maddog

but the invention of the electric light, and the shift in our culture from rural to urban have combined to remove the usefulness to the people.

it's the other way around!!! DST is meant to save artificial lighting (whether electric or fuel lamps) and makes more difference to the urban employee that doesn't go to bed early and rise at dawn anyway, like the farmer does.