Science Forums

World's fastest transistor operates at 604 GHz

"This establishes a new benchmark for transistor performance," says Doug Barlage at North Carolina State University, US. "It is probably three times faster than the fastest silicon-based device."

Feng and Hafez developed a transistor less than half a millionth of a metre long, with a maximum operating speed of 604 GHz, meaning it can carry out 604 billion operations every second.

"This establishes a new benchmark for transistor performance," says Doug Barlage at North Carolina State University, US. "It is probably three times faster than the fastest silicon-based device."

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7253

thanks whoa :xx:

anyways, i wonder whether or not they will be able to use these transistors in microprocessors, well, i mean you can use anything anywhere, try anyways, but i wonder how much heat these transistors produce when they get pounded on?

The other thing is that however the speed of the transistor can effect the performance of the processor, the lack of processors performance in large part is due to the idea of cache and the fact that current RAM access speeds are quite low compared to what would be ideal for a faster processor, ofcourse you can increase the size of cache, but i think that the concept of cache needs to get dropped all together, I think though that this will be very useful in the cell processor market, if the processors actually reach their theoretical maxims most of the time, upgrading the transistors will weild better and faster transaction speeds enabling for even faster theoretical maxims in the vector processors, as well as the main processor (since the lack of cache), still though there is a need for faster ram technology (a lot faster)...

That's why the news stories have a reply button

i know that, but, well, technically i know that it should get discussed in news, and i realize that you went through a lot of effort to post that news article as soon as it was released, i also think that news section section has more traffic than we see here, and by all means the article should have been discussed in the news section. It is hard to know that an article has been posted somewhere else (with all the new sections and subsections and sub sub subsections and such), and we have rules that say things about protection of the original source of information and doubleposting (which this is a shaky case of).

However i do not have the power to close the thread, and i would not like to discourage whoa from posting here again, and at the same time i dont want to discourage you from posting news and articles in any section of this forum, so i suggest a post in the news section or here, asking people to post replies either here or in the news section and then locking the reply in the other thread... (in short, close one posting to have all replies in the other one, so talk doesnt go 2 ways and get everyone (especially the mods and admins) go crazy :xx: )

However i do not have the power to close the thread, and i would not like to discourage whoa from posting here again, and at the same time i dont want to discourage you from posting news and articles in any section of this forum, so i suggest a post in the news section or here, asking people to post replies either here or in the news section and then locking the reply in the other thread... (in short, close one posting to have all replies in the other one, so talk doesnt go 2 ways and get everyone (especially the mods and admins) go crazy :xx: )

Hey, don't worry about it. No need to talk about closing threads and stuff. I was just poking a little fun at ya. Members are going to dupe a story once in a while, no biggie.

• 4 months later...