Science Forums

Ten Simple Machines, One Ultimate Function.

I was wondering if anyone here would like to help me come up with a device that would utilize ten simple machines?

- 1st class lever (teeter-totter/see-saw) Resistance > Fulcrum > Energy

- 2nd class lever (nut cracker or billows) Energy on two ends, resistance in center and fulcrum at the point

- 3rd class lever (shovel, rake, or bat) Fulcrum > Energy > Resistance

- Wedge (Blade, or nail)

- Screw

- Inclined plane (Ramp)

- Pulley

- Wheel

- Hydraulic press (Bike pump or syringe, the kind used to give medicine to infants [no needles allowed on campus])

- Gears (Cogs, like in a clock)

The final product must use at least five but I'm trying to use all ten (Extra Credit). I would greatly appreciate any ideas anyone has and I will let the person know if I choose to use their idea and I will also give them credit in my class for coming up with the idea, you will also be given the grade my group receives ;). This is just a request though and I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something on my own but even if you have any suggestions on what it should do I'm all ears... or is it eyes on the net? Oh well. Just asking for help because I'm kind of brain dead at the moment and I'm not feeling any creative genius coming. ;)

get all of the supplies.

spread them out on your floor.

make sure you have adhesives, building tools, things of that matter.

and just put stuff together one by one.

go mad-lock yourself in your room, and don't come out until you've created a monster!

that's just what i would do....

Thanks for the suggestions, and that was a very... interesting contraption I just got done viewing at C1ay's link. I don't think I'll be able to produce something like that though. I guess I'll just do a mixture of orbsycli's and Fishteacher73's suggestions. Get some ideas first then go nuts. If I end up creating a winner I assure you credit will be given and my final grade for the project will be sent to you via PM.

Thanks for the "quick replies" guys.

maybe i'm mistaken but i believe i saw it many months ago...i may have just been really high and saw it on the computer. ;) i do know that it's not BRAND new, though.

I think I saw it for the first time at least a couple of years ago.