Science Forums

Fairy Fountain- Complete Internal Reflection

___I attribute this name "Fairy Fountain" to an article in a very old Book Of Knowledge article. An experiment description follows.

___Take a large gallon glass jar & bore a 1/4" hole 1/3 up from the bottom on the side of the jar. Mask a circle with tape opposite the hole & paint the entire jar black; then remove the tape.

___Place a strong light source at the clear glass circle the tape covered so it points at the 1/4" hole. Darken the room & see that the light simply exits the hole straight ahead.

___Now plug the hole & fill the jar with water & procede with the light as before. Remove the plug to let the water flow out the hole. Now rather than the light shining straight out, it is trapped in the water by complete internal reflection & little sparkles of light emit as the stream strikes the ground.

. :)

Kewl!

White light source, two sheets of linear polarizer, long hollow clear glass cylinder, colorless corn syrup. Fill the vertical glass cylinder with corn syrup. Illuminate up through its bottom filtered through one linear polarizer. View perpendicular (at the side) through the other linear polarizer (rotate for best view). To get better separation of the view, bottom illuminate through various colored filters plus the polarizer. The shorter the transmitted wavelength the tighter the optical barber pole.

• 1 year later...
___I attribute this name "Fairy Fountain" to an article in a very old Book Of Knowledge article. An experiment description follows.

___Take a large gallon glass jar & bore a 1/4" hole 1/3 up from the bottom on the side of the jar. Mask a circle with tape opposite the hole & paint the entire jar black; then remove the tape.

___Place a strong light source at the clear glass circle the tape covered so it points at the 1/4" hole. Darken the room & see that the light simply exits the hole straight ahead.

___Now plug the hole & fill the jar with water & procede with the light as before. Remove the plug to let the water flow out the hole. Now rather than the light shining straight out, it is trapped in the water by complete internal reflection & little sparkles of light emit as the stream strikes the ground.

. :)

Here's a multiple exposure photograph of the Fairy Fountain:

Different color LED's...

If I had the money I would totally do it, it would give me something to do, too.

But, I've got 3$ to my name.

It sucks not living in a big city,

can't play for $ on the side of the street like I used to.

I experimented with different colored lights, as well as filters on the camera. Alas, in my minimalization pursuits I dematerialized all the photos save for the one I put up.

I posted the photograph of complete internal reflection in water stream at 08-02-2006 01:03 PM . It is now 08-02-2006 11:09 PM. I just Googled "complete internal reflection" to see what else is out there; check this out!

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,420,000 for complete internal reflection.

First entry:

http://hypography.com/forums/science-projects-homework/2103-fairy-fountain-complete-internal-reflection.html

My that's fast!:hihi: Fairy dust no doubt.:)

And it's thanks to prolific members like yourself, my dear Turtle.

Really neat photo you posted, too! You're a treasure trove of excellent ideas. :eek:

And it's thanks to prolific members like yourself, my dear Turtle.

Really neat photo you posted, too! You're a treasure trove of excellent ideas. :hihi:

You're no slouch yourself T; I see you are about to kick over 9,000 posts!!!!

In reading the original post here on complete internal reflection, I see I need to make some drawings as well to illustrate the principle. I will of course put them in the treasure trunk. Takk T.:eek:

In reading the original post here on complete internal reflection, I see I need to make some drawings as well to illustrate the principle. I will of course put them in the treasure trunk. Takk T.;)

an illustration of the demonstration of the complete internal reflection in a water stream. :cup: :turtle:

Here's a multiple exposure photograph of the Fairy Fountain:]

I see I failed to describe the photographic techniques employed in acquiring the image.:lightning Rectifying...

--The photograph is a multiple exposure consisting of 11 separate exposures of a single fairy fountain water stream completely internally reflecting light. I used a film projector with high intensity bulb for illumination of the stream. The image is a scan of an 8"x10" print from a 35mm Kodachrome slide. I used a Nikon EM Single Lens Reflex camera mounted on a custom platform that allows the camera to rotate around the axis of its lens. (This calls for another drawering me thinks!:lightning ):lightning ;)

Edit Addendum > Drawering (:rant: ) Of Apparatus attached below.

That's a really great idea Turtle! Once again... YOU ARE FREAKING AMAZING! :hihi:

Why thank you & thank you. :hihi: Before moving on to another variation using the complete internal reflection property of light in a water stream, here is a gedanken problem for you to deduce some deductions for based on the photo itself and my description & drawing of the apparatus employed in making the photograph.

Here again the pertinent links:

Photograph:

Apparatus:

http://hypography.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1511&d=1181769239

Deduce away. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Why thank you & thank you. :) Before moving on to another variation using the complete internal reflection property of light in a water stream, here is a gedanken problem for you to deduce some deductions for based on the photo itself and my description & drawing of the apparatus employed in making the photograph.

Here again the pertinent links:

Photograph:

Apparatus:

http://hypography.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1511&d=1181769239

Deduce away. :)

My intention in the above was to have someone deduce that I built the carriage off-center, which resulted in the asymetric oval in the center of my photograph. A properly constructed platform would yield a perfect circle in the photograph.:hihi:

The vartiation I referred to is the incorporation of laminar flow nozzles in the setup, which gives a stream even more perfectly reflecting perfect internal reflection.

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/july01/features/engart/engart.html

Web Search ResultsResults 1 - 10 of about 27,206 for laminar flow nozzles

:) :doh: ;) :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: