Science Forums

Fairy Fountain- Complete Internal Reflection

I found this online, it seems interesting: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5160086.html

Sweet! Thanks Dave.:shade: I recall watching a science show on TV a few years back wherin they showed the construction of some laminar flow nozzles for these fountains. Following their principles & my experience with the Fairy Fountain described above, I built my own laminar flow nozzle using straws & a large plastic candy container with a screw-on lid.

I no longer have the device & I don't recall making any photographs, so I'll make up a little drawing and post it up presently.:eek2: It makes a great Science Project with or without the light. Fun for the whole family.:Glasses:

... so I'll make up a little drawing and post it up presently.:) It makes a great Science Project with or without the light. Fun for the whole family.:shade:

Here we go thens with the drawering :eek2: :

First, absolutely do not, I repeat do not, use a glass vessel for this; the pressure from the garden hose water supply is sufficient to burst it. I used a plastic jug that held candy at the local market & it was free. The plastic vessel needs to be tall enough to accomodate an open space both above & below the drinking straws.

I don't recall how many straws, but this depends on the size of the vessel. You need enough straws to fully pack the interior of the vessel.

At the hardware store, buy a female replacement screw-on type hose coupling, make a hole in the side of the vessel & attach it.

Now make about a 1/4" hole in the screw-on lid & screw it on.

Hook up your hose & slowly turn it on.

Once the vessel fills you have a coherent stream of water that will shoot many feet; laminar flow in a fluid.

To add the principle of complete internal reflection, blacken the vessel with tape or paint & provide a light source at the bottom. I recommend a strong flashlight as light powered by house current poses a severe hazard of electrocution when in the vicinity of water.

:Glasses: :omg:

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

That's an interesting idea Turtle.

I'm going to try that ASAP.

Exxxcellllentt! :hihi: As it happens, I have some further observations. (As if!:) )

First, putting the hose coupling in through the side of the container serves three distinct purposes.

1) It helps distribute the incoming flow of water more evenly across the base plane of the straws.

2) It allows you to set the container on its bottom & direct the laminar stream straight up.

3) It allows you to reach in with a little stick to arrange/align the straws.

I also recommend doing a control experiment with the container empty of any straws to observe the stream.

That is all...for know...errr....all for now.:doh: ;)

Turtle, we moved the site to a new server during the night and for some reason the last 10 images were missing (I can't find them on the new nor the old server).

Just go to the Gallery, click on a missing image. There is a menu option above the image saying "Image Tools". Choose Edit image. Then you get a box saying "Replace image". Just upload the same images again and you should be fine.

Turtle, we moved the site to a new server during the night and for some reason the last 10 images were missing (I can't find them on the new nor the old server).

Just go to the Gallery, click on a missing image. There is a menu option above the image saying "Image Tools". Choose Edit image. Then you get a box saying "Replace image". Just upload the same images again and you should be fine.

Roger. Done & done. Takk:)

• 2 weeks later...