Science Forums

Obama Smoking

RavenLydia

I just read an article about how people are upset that Obama can't kick the habit of smoking even though he promised Michele. The author of the article was comparing Obamas promise of kicking the habit to his promises to the country. Is it just me, or is smoking irrelevent to health care reform. Please read the artcle and let me know how you feel. I read the LA Times article.

It would be great if you could provide a link. The LA time probably has the article on their website, and the title of the article wouldnt hurt, either.

From what I understand, kicking cigs is one of the hardest things to do. I once heard it was harder than kicking heroin (or was it cocaine? something like that) but I think thats just a rumor. But kicking smoking is so hard, that a whole industry is based off of it.

I think that the author was being unfair. Running a country depends on determination, knowledge, and a bunch of other things. Smoking infects you both physically and mentally, making the habit that much harder to stop, it becomes a crutch for people, causing them to only function normally while they have nicotine in their system.

These "reporters" and "newscasters" just want to make a controversial story so they can get paid. Remember when Obama was first president? The news "reporters" followed his kids around, reporting on what they were having for lunch for the week, or what teacher they had.

An article that would have had a point, could compare Obama being a father to running the country.

Obama fesses up to smoking habit - Los Angeles Times is where you can find the article I was referring to. I agree with Obama needing to quit smoking for his health just as every American should, but I also understand how hard it must be to run the country. I know many people who smoke and have tried to quit only to be defeated by the addiction. I just don't understand how people are so worried about this; it's not like he's cheating on his wife or doing some illegal drug. I am not a smoker and never will be, but I understand how hard it must be to resist the nicotine once it's a habit.

To those who are determined to find anything they possibly can to nit-pick and criticize about this president, this issue just represents another opportunity. But the fact that these kinds of petty arguments are the only ones they are able to come up with suggests he actually must be doing a fairly good job.

Obama still smoking means he is not exactly enslaved to the politics of the nanny mentality of his own party, where nanny knows best and does the thinking for you. That is good for the country. If you look at the smoking data logically, nothing says every single smoker will develop affects. But that is how the data is marketed, which is different. It dwells on the limited data set called risk and makes a dogma.

Here is how the nanny thinks. Swimming can be dangerous, with data showing many young people at risk to drown. Therefore, swimming implies drowning. To protect my children, nobody can swim, since risk data says they will drown and I am not taking any chances. The irrational minions, who enjoy being told what to think, will be the nannies eyes and ears. They have a mean streak and will get their jollies forcing others to obey and conform. This is good since they are helping everyone not to drown. Those who are rational, will see this is as irrational and will weigh all the evidence which does not say all will drown. But the minions only see swimming causing drowning, since this is what the nanny tells them to think.

Luckily for Obama, he is on the same side as the majority of the minions. They will give him an exception. If Obama had been a republican, nanny would incite the minions. The latter would be the red headed step child, instead of the golden boy. The golden boy lower's nanny's emotion back to reason, but the red headed step child, adds fuel to the nanny fire of rage. It is all comical if it wasn't so dangerous to liberty. If nanny decided some new group was a red headed step child needing her protection, she may need to get out the whip for his own good. The minions will help hold him down. Obama, being a golden child, needs to keep this in the nanny's face, so she loosens up allowing the minions to also loosen up. Love, trust and individual liberty is always better than fear, force and conformity. That is in the Constitution.