Science Forums

Motorcyclists Thread

alexander

I think that rotary bikes never went to production because they couldnt solve a weird issue with the engine, and if i'm not mistaken it probably either had to do with the giroscopic effect of that high reving beast, or librication problems with the engine, when not paralell to the ground...

as for 2 strokes, i've only ridden 4 wheelers, but at that, i've driven several blasters, and several banshees... a 350 banshee, a 400 banshee and a 550 banshee.... wanna talk about power, raptor 700 is a baby compared to the built up banshee. Out of the box, banshee does 75mph, with a 550, 100+ easy, it makes it really hard to drive on the pavement too, its like any gear, breath on gas, tires start smoking, it was like a D1 event between these 2 parking lots i was driving that thing around, and i wasnt taking it easy either, 3rd gear gets scary, 4th kinda suicidal, 55 mph in a parking lot, sideways, trying to breathe on gas and hoping that the rear tires will at some point get some grip so you can go through this corner before you hit the building, is a scary prospect :)

That said, there are some cool V4 out there, there are some cool MotoGP 500cc 2 strokes i'd like to ride. But more then that, it's a lot cooler to have a 1 cylinder 4 stroke that makes only 46-48 horse power, with motocross gearing, and on/off road tires, you really dont need much more to have a total blast, slide it into the corner, power slide it out, take it off road, take some jumps, then get back on the pavement, lock up the rear tire and blow the bike around on the pavement just like you would on dirt, race it on a small street course, even a medium parking lot can provide a course that is fun and demanding, do some tricks, hop over curbs, ride up and down stairs, drop the bike, then go pick it up, start it, and drive away... Its like that bycicle you used to ride everywhere when you were a kid, all over again. Minimal setup, maximum possible ways to have fun :P ...

btw working on getting that very bike i just described, my drz just doesn't quite do it anymore...

I am trying amass a library of advertisement type brochures of motorcycles. At one time I wanted to collect the literature they give out on each bike but they pretty have much cut out the individual brochures they gave for each. I do have one for a V-Max, the guy riding it looks so much like me many ask if I am in the picture. At one I had lots of the old brochures but they got lost by the by. If any knows of a source for those old brochures let me know!

Dammit! I want one! why them ol rice rockets gots to be so pretty!?!? (yami rotary)

Rice rockets are pretty and Yamaha's seem to look prettier than the others, I can almost always pick a Yamaha silhouette out of a grouped of other motorcycles. Yamaha's, at least earlier models were almost feminine in appearence. That's why i named all mine after girls!

Any one remember the movie Born Losers? With Tom Laughlin?

The Born Losers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vicky ( the beautiful Elizabeth James) was Billy Jack's (Tom Laughlin) love interest. Vicky rode a Yamaha 350 two stroke twin street scrambler. (The direct predecessor to the RD350) On of the first kick *** movies that really worked. Steven Segal, Davide Carridine, and Chuck Norris should all be kissing Tom Laughlins *** regularly for their own success in the kick but movies genre!

always reminded me of dragonflys, specially when they were chopped and sprayed with the really awesome bright metallic paints of the day and fitted wit long forks....I always liked the rice choppers betta den de Harley's.....always looked so much lighter thiner like they could really fly away (I was a youngin in the seventies;)) while the Harleys always look and sound bloated (to me anyways)....sides I see way more british and jap chops and trikes den Harleys when I was a kid and besides most Harley folk I know have superiority issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

snow here:(

Winter sux....

must locate warm clothes...

new rubber on bike this time a nice fat tire on the rear (pics soon) and a meatier tire up front.....still trying to locate serious offroad rubber for when the snow get too deep....or baring that....appropriate rims and rubber (I have some very nice trials rubber but my rims are too amsll:(

Well, I've been working on circle wheelies (despite the snow, rain and freezing weather up here as well), and i got my first full circle this past saturday :D pretty excited, they are hard... and i really should gear my bike more, i'm like barely slipping the clutch the whole time, but i do have to say, circles feel so cool :)

Alex, I've ridden the guzzi and the 750 triple. the guzzi was more fun

Respect

speaking of nice bikes, anyone ridden a vfr800? I'm not particularly fond of how it looks, but damn that thing sounds like a v4... and its a vtec engine...

what else have i seen lately that was pretty damn cool... oh an old GSXR1100, pre 89, but the original owner threw in an 1127 (not the stock engine on pre 89's) that was built up by Lou, a local engine magician, mikuni carbs, bigger radiator that came with 1127 (it was curved, vs the original small radiator), 03 swing arm, front end and brakes, cool thing was that it still ran stock pipes... it was in good shape for its age :D

anyone ridden a vfr800?
I wish!!! always been fond of Interceptors...on a slightly different note I wish the V-twin craze would die of already so'z we might see the resurection of inline powered machines (standards, choppers etc.)....twins may look vintage cool but they are no match for equal displacement inline machines in either power or economy.....and of course inline engines don't tend to rattle the rest of the chassis apart either (since purchase my turn signals, windshield, and other assorted bolt on goodies have worked loose repeatedly even after treatment with LT red....the most painful of which was a bolt from the windshield which after rattlin out smacked me right bellow my eye ).

vtwins are nice in some streetmobiles. If you have very curvy roads and dont need top end, they are the coolest thing to have, you feel like a racer even if you are nowhere near one. I have a friend that used to live like 7 or 8 miles from work, and it was all curvy back roads, so he got a suzuki TL100S, and he used to murder it to and from work in the morning through the curvies, because its such a predictable power and none of the jerkiness of that sudden power curve of the inline, he would peg it coming out of corners without any worry that the bike would get away from him or anything... To this day that was his most memorable bike (and he has owned over a thousand bikes by now, he has about 9 atm, and that is low, in spring, he will probably have about 15-16 bikes again), the only bike he has ever had on which the tires were totally smooth from the right brim to the left, not a single indication that there was ever a tread there, that was the only bike he has ever bought brand new, and with that very intention...

Yamaha's Super Tenere 'art installation' baffles Tokyo crowds

Tenere is a desert region in the south central Sahara - a place where, in 1977, Frenchman Thierry Sabine famously got lost on his motorbike for three days during the Abidjan-Nice Rally. The rest as they say is history - Sabine returned to France to create the Paris-Dakar rally and Yamaha's two wheeled namesake dominated the event in the 90s. The Yamaha Tenere made a comeback in recent times in with the new XTZ660, but the brand has bigger things in store with a twin-cylinder "Super Tenere" in the pipeline which will compete against the BMW R1200GS. Yamaha gave some hints as to the makeup of the new adventure bike at the Tokyo Motor Show with its eye-catchingly bizarre mock-up - which was appropriately wrapped in desert garb - sporting a shaft mounted drive and side mounted radiators.

Yamaha's Super Tenere 'art installation' baffles Tokyo crowds