Science Forums

Motorcyclists Thread

alexander

Oh no, not another bike with side-mounted radiators! Seriously, have they not learned anything from RC51s, you dump the thing on its side (and in racing and on the street you most often dump on the side), get ready to replace the radiator, even though normally, maybe just plastics and case cover will suffer...

How about some company make a fool-proof bike, made stock so if its dumped on the side, nothing gets scratched other then sliders, pegs and stuff that is easily and cheaply replaceable, nothing gets twisted, or bent...?

The motorcycle manufactures have to have an income stream from something. I was told the reason Yamaha deemphasized the V4 shaft drive in their line up in favor of the V-Twin chain drive was the V-4 ran forever. The detuned version of the V-Max engine, the Royal Star, simply never broke under anything like reasonable use. Even the Venture Royale was famous for simply lasting forever, the fiberglass parts might go bad but the basic engine and drive train lasted forever! No one ever bought a new one once they had one. You can go to E-bay and find Venture Royales going for good prices and still running all over the country.

Shame they were/are still ungodly expensive (for my blood anyways)

Moon Van Man- I was told the reason Yamaha deemphasized the V4 shaft drive in their line up in favor of the V-Twin chain drive was the V-4 ran forever. The detuned version of the V-Max engine, the Royal Star, simply never broke under anything like reasonable use. Even the Venture Royale was famous for simply lasting forever, the fiberglass parts might go bad but the basic engine and drive train lasted forever! No one ever bought a new one once they had one. You can go to E-bay and find Venture Royales going for good prices and still running all over the country.

BTW shaft drive rules:rockon: Shame sport/MX bikes still ain't got em for the most part (I ain't seen any) yah I know it kinda screws ya as far as changing final ratios....but I'd be willin to bet an aftermarket ratio swap would spring up quick enough....or as in the case of my C50 I can simply swap out for the M90 rear and have a quicker ratio.:)

Shaft drive made a believer out of me, I used to ride with a group and every time we'd go anywhere someone body would have chain problems, sprocket problems, or in some way have some sort of problem associated with the chain. I remember my 900 Kawasaki ate chains like popcorn. The constant tightening and alignment, pain in the ***. When I got my 1100 Yamaha it seemed almost unnatural to be able to ride so much and not have some sort of problem.

Get the shaft! You'll love it!

in my practice, chain problems were a thing of the past, the current day couche drive, and ability to get steel sprockets makes a, aligning a thing of the past, b, sprocket wear takes ions longer, and c, as long as you upkeep the chain, and most of all, dont overtighten it, wear it in evenly, a good chain will last you more then one season, rain or no rain... upkeep a little all the time, and save a lot in the end... and my chains see salt in the winter, my chains see dust from dirt, just a matter of keeping it clean, and going over the chain with some wd40 and a rag before leaving the house...

well and also not using crappy, cheap chains, spend a little more, worry a ton less :)

and of all of us here, i probably put more loads on the chain then you guys do... i mean constant launching the bike from dead stop, dumping the cluch, gotta put more tear on the chain then normal riding... That said, this also seems to be the trend with lots of my friends, if they beat the **** out of the bike, and never take care of it, then they have problems, but if they care and maintain it, and treat it with some dignity (i mean ride it hard, but dont plain beat the crap out of it)....

;)

Oh Alex.....;).....you just prove our point:D Shaft drive- ride it like a madman, put it away wet, never worry bout it...VS....what you said for the chain:hihi:....and BTW my bike gots a few hundred pounds on yers and I launch and ride it just as hard:D Sides you'll still be replacin yer chain and sprockets long before I'll need new ring and pinion gears.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh no, not another bike with side-mounted radiators! Seriously, have they not learned anything from RC51s, you dump the thing on its side (and in racing and on the street you most often dump on the side), get ready to replace the radiator, even though normally, maybe just plastics and case cover will suffer...

How about some company make a fool-proof bike, made stock so if its dumped on the side, nothing gets scratched other then sliders, pegs and stuff that is easily and cheaply replaceable, nothing gets twisted, or bent...?

they do I ride one :) well actually a couple if you count my Dirt bike. I've dropped me Zook three times so far and the only damage is a couple scratches on the front fender...and of course DB's look good with scratches.

Shaft drive- ride it like a madman, put it away wet, never worry bout it

Mr D, you do know how wrong that actually sounds, for something you are riding, right?

on a good note, put my new chain and sprockets on friday :) its great, with only 2 problems, the new chain grease is all over the damn place, and i spent like an hour trying to wipe most of it off, and the bike now does 55 in 5th gear, the rest are all ups, the bike feels way more torqy, i can run lower revs for circles and go a lot slower without bike dying (though i still have to use the clutch quite extensively), its a lot easier to break the rear tire loose now, which has both ups and downs, and with being able to be smoother, and have the ability to quickly bring the bike higher, without gaining a lot of speed, i was doing circles on wet pavement yesterday (which is more about trust in the rear tire, really, then smoothness on the controls, though that certainly plays into it)

• 6 months later...

my back tire came off a car(GYTT):phones:

my front is actually a rear (D404)

sounds odd...handles the seemingly perpetual wet exceedingly well.

bout due for fresh brakes...

fabbed up a new sissybar

Broke me choke (the pull thingy for it not the actual choke)

finally regularly exceeding 100+MPH (thanx to taller rubber and an upgraded rear)

sad note cage drivers are tryin to kill me

seems the choice they see is- wait for bike and possibly risk waiting on a car or two OR pull out right in front of motorcycle and risk killing the rider...the latter seems to be their decision more often than not even to the extreme of blowing a STOP to make it out "in time"....

the best was a jerkoff that had a "watch for motorcycles" sticker on his truck who decided to drive his truck and trailer out right in front of me instead of waiting a few seconds for me and two cars to go by....thank god for good tires and brakes....flipped him the bird....F***er actually had the nerve to do an "oh well" type shrugg before continuing on his merry way....I'm seriously considering buying a pellet gun...or carrying a few largish rocks....perhaps a broken windshield would make spotting an approaching motorbike easier....perhaps a rash of broken windows nationwide would wake these @$$#0(3$ up and encourage them in hopes of preserving their glass to actually pay attention to the road and ALL of the vehicles on it...perhaps if people understood that our "unnecessarily" loud pipes are necessary to get their attention and they wouldn't be needed if people weren't frequently killing and injuring us because they "didn't see" us...I'm fitting even louder pipes tomorrow...these numnutzes might not "see" me but they sure as **** are going to hear me...very likely from miles away...

.tis really messed up especially with several fatal accidents involving cagers and bikes in the news very recently...

too many of my mates are endin up injured or dead because of the stupidity of cagers...

they just finished the search for the pieces of a friend of mine who had the misfortune of having a soccermommobile pull out right in front of him...he hit the van so hard...well lets just say they spent two days finding and gathering up his remains....all because some cow couldn't see two spotlights, two amber marker lights and a headlight approaching the intersection on an unlighted rural road on a clear night...(no fog, no trees, no other obstructions to her view just freshly turned fields for more than a mile either way)....or she didn't want to wait a few seconds for him to safely pass...

on the bright side they're charging her with homicide...on the $#it+Y side of things we won't be riding together no more...shame they can't give her the chair for it....