Science Forums

Hypnosis and the nature of suggestion

Lightfiend

I've been hypnotized, when I was a kid. It was actually the 'gateway' to me exploring the potentials of the mind.

It's an interesting subject, but it is clear to me now that the 'subject' must be 100% willing, or else it doesn't work.

More than anything, it shows the power of our minds. When we let go and fly with autopilot, strange things can happen. :lol:

Actually not 100% true, there is stage hypnosis, and those guys generally need full and so cooperation to do their job, but experts dont need your discrete permission to hypnotize you, infact if you are not purposeflly opposing it, you wont even know you are hypnotized. Hypnosis, sometimes straight out, sometimes a milder form, is used in interrogations, and at higher levels in certain intelligence work. It is also used in large corporate world, and obviously by crooks...

I have seen studies, that show that experienced hypnotist will be able to hypnotize just about any person, unless they counteract, are an extremely rare mind-type or have been hypnotized to put what are called blocks. Almost anyone can be hypnotized in a very minimal amount of time with or without their permission, even walking down the street... You can disagree based on what psychology books say, but there are studies done by militaries all around the world dating back to nazi germany and beyond to show this.

But there are ways you can try to resist.

Firstly how do you know you are being hypnotized (this can happen even in a meeting, there are people who use hypnosis sometimes not even knowing about it)

Generally a person who is doing it will speak very clearly, evenly and in monotone

They may show you someting or point something out to focus your attention

They may touch you

And they will try to concentrate you, perhaps at first by asking a question, and then controlling your thoughts by almost telling you to focus on something

So first thing is, be careful when you hear an even monotone, usually deep and relaxing voice

If they ask you to look at something or show you something, dont look at it

Dont look at them directly, especially dont look in their eyes, try to look away.

Dont focus on their voice, if you can, think of something completely different, if with a friend, ask them about something or get your mind off teh subject

This is a big one, don't let them touch you, slightest contact makes it a lot easier for them to do what you might not want them to

Lets hope some of this sparks an interest :lol:

Generally a person who is doing it will speak very clearly, evenly and in monotone

They may show you someting or point something out to focus your attention

They may touch you

And they will try to concentrate you, perhaps at first by asking a question, and then controlling your thoughts by almost telling you to focus on something

So first thing is, be careful when you hear an even monotone, usually deep and relaxing voice

If they ask you to look at something or show you something, dont look at it

Dont look at them directly, especially dont look in their eyes, try to look away.

Dont focus on their voice, if you can, think of something completely different, if with a friend, ask them about something or get your mind off teh subject

This is a big one, don't let them touch you, slightest contact makes it a lot easier for them to do what you might not want them to

you have just aptly described a prayer meeting, makes you wonder to what degree hypnotism plays a part in religion

you have just aptly described a prayer meeting, makes you wonder to what degree hypnotism plays a part in religion

Actually it is quite true, a lot of the religious movements of the 80s, 90s and today use hypnosis indeed. I actually didn't mention mass hypnosis. It uses the herd effect actually, they will play stimulating music, religious "leader" speaks very much in a suggestive voice, and all you need is some people in the crowd that will fall into a religious trance, and then the rest of the people will slowly follow, they will actually use catch words that are "programmed" in private sessions to trigger the first people, but the rest, as i said, usually follow. And the more often you go to such events, the more prone you are to succumbing to this hypnotic trance (people falling on the ground, convulsing, screaming like animals, uncontrollably shaking and all that stuff you see in some video clips, yes, all thanks to suggestion, and people who can abuse it)

And the sad thing is they realize they are doing it, but because it's perceived as "good" they dont get scared of that feeling, without realization of what is actually happening... and they cant control it, and they know it and think its "Jesus" or whatever, quite sad actually :lol:

(sorry if this ruins something for someone)

hmmmm yes indeed.

reminds me of yet another one of my life's stories. Several years ago, a friend asked me to accompany her to a church she had previously attended to get some feed back from me.For all intensive purposes it appeared to be the run of the mill nondenominational full gospel type church.However, when the service started, something odd happened. The pastor was speaking in the monotone as you have described Alexander, and several people through out the congregation started making howling sounds similar to those of a hyena.Well you can imagine at this point, i was ready to leave, but thought i would see what else might occur. As the preacher continued to speak, the majority of the congregation began to laugh/howl as well. Now the really strange part. They all started to look at my friend and I. All eyes were on us,as we were not partaking of the mood.Now i gotta tell you, that was the most creepiest thing i have ever felt, and i began to think that this crazed mob might take us out.Not sure how we managed, but we got the hell out of there.I strongly suggested to my friend not to go there again, but i am quite sure she was of the same thought.

I wonder what power of suggestion had been instilled in those people that night and what they might be capable of.There was an absent look in their eyes,and i have to wonder what rationale had left their minds.

Hypnosis is completely voluntary, if you do not want to be hypnotized you cannot be. The church situation is somewhat different in that there is a powerful motivation to cooperate with the crowd, not cooperating makes you feel different, creeped out as Pamela put it. Being exposed to this and believing god is involved is a very good reason to cooperate with the crowd, not cooperating makes you feel like you are wrong or somehow flawed, cooperating makes you feel a part of the group and since everyone else is doing it, "It" feels like the right thing to do. The crowd situation can cause weak willed individuals to do some really unusual and sometimes terrible things.

Now the really strange part. They all started to look at my friend and I. All eyes were on us,as we were not partaking of the mood.Now i gotta tell you, that was the most creepiest thing i have ever felt, and i began to think that this crazed mob might take us out.Not sure how we managed, but we got the hell out of there.

YouTube - Check if the Coast is Clear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4VsnhIKjws&feature=related

For some reason, you're post made me think of this movie. :)

Hypnosis is completely voluntary, if you do not want to be hypnotized you cannot be.

as i have said, that is correct, however you don't have to want to be hypnotized to be hypnotized is what i was trying to say, and if you dont know you are being hypnotized, you can be hypnotized against your will, per say...

As one who's father was a master hypnotist and as one who uses hypnosis in my longstanding practice as a transpersonal psychologist (my thread on TP was not allowed in the psychology section for some reason and now locked... see "feedback" thread)... I can say with the confidence of many years of experience... the following:

All religion is mass hypnosis, and all sense of personal identity is the hypnosis of culture in all its aspects.

This is the essence of transpersonal psychology: Transcending all beliefs including religion and who you think you are.

If anyone is interested in further explanation, please ask.

Michael

As one who's father was a master hypnotist and as one who uses hypnosis in my longstanding practice as a transpersonal psychologist (my thread on TP was not allowed in the psychology section for some reason and now locked... see "feedback" thread)... I can say with the confidence of many years of experience...

sounds like you have indentified yourself here;)

All religion is mass hypnosis

well that is a little extreme-would you say that the individual who only reads a particular text and has not heard the spoken word concerning it, is hypnotized by it?

and all sense of personal identity is the hypnosis of culture in all its aspects.
have you been hypnotized into believing that you are a psychologist and thus identifying yourself with that aspect of culture?
This is the essence of transpersonal psychology: Transcending all beliefs including religion and who you think you are.
Michael, individuality and the varying sense of who we are among the masses, is what makes this world an exciting place. Why would we want to change that and all become part of a single identity? there would be no lively rhetoric, only the monotonous drivel of a collective thought begotten by hypnosis to simply exist

Pamela,

I answered your questions about personal identity as contrasted with liberation from the cultural programing (read "hypnosis) called "my separate identity"... "this is who I am"... etc. repeatedly in the transpersonal psychology thread... all those posts on "enlightenment/liberation."

sounds like you have identified yourself here

"I" use the convention of speaking in first person singular, like everyone else. This does not mean that I buy into the belief that "I am what I do" All those quotes by enlightened ones in the TP thread are examples of those who have transcended personal Identity. They all say the same thing in different ways in this regard. The most familiar in this culture is probably the quote attributed to Jesus," I and the Creator are one."

(Knowing/realizing this is Way different that merely "believing" it.)

well that is a little extreme-would you say that the individual who only reads a particular text and has not heard the spoken word concerning it, is hypnotized by it?

Yes, if it becomes his/her belief system. All belief systems are programs regardless of how the programing (read conditioning or hypnosis) is done.

Liberation is de-programing from all belief systems (all hypnosis.). What is left is the realization of the one omnipresent identity in all. Some realize it.... (it is often called enlightenment)... most don't.

This is the subject matter of transpersonal psychology.

have you been hypnotized into believing that you are a psychologist and thus identifying yourself with that aspect of culture?

As above. This individual practices psychology. I am consciousness, and it has no limits. (This is not the same as omniscience, which no individual has.)

Michael, individuality and the varying sense of who we are among the masses, is what makes this world an exciting place. Why would we want to change that and all become part of a single identity? there would be no lively rhetoric, only the monotonous drivel of a collective thought begotten by hypnosis to simply exist

You misunderstand the nature of liberation/enlightenment. It does not obliterate the uniqueness of the individual but rather enhances all "gifts" of the individual. For instance there is no fear after enlightenment, so all that kind of energy is "liberated" for love (in all its manifestations) intelligence and creativity

Michael