Science Forums

What is your ultimate goal in life?

coberst

I can remember two times in my life when I seriously asked my self the question “What are my plans for the future?”

The first time occurred about a year after high school when I decided I wanted to be an electrical engineer. I had been working as an apprentice electrician for many months and had several contacts with an engineer and this impression led me to decide to be an engineer.

I planned several proximate goals that were necessary to reach my goal of becoming an engineer. I had to go into the army so that I could go to school on the GI Bill and then I had to complete my college engineering education.

The second time that I seriously thought about a proximate goal occurred about 15 years into my career when I pondered just what I wanted for a long term goal for my self.

Life is filled with proximate goals and the decision of just what means is best followed to achieve those particular goals. Now I am pondering what my ultimate goal is. I suspect that I have always had some kind of unconscious ultimate goal but it was one that I had not consciously and seriously thought about nor consciously desired.

“What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but suffer the loss of his soul?”

I was raised as a Catholic and taught by nuns; this question was often in the fore front of much of what the nuns taught me. I suspect that this was pretty much what most Christians, Jews, and Muslims were taught. It appears that the three major religions, and perhaps most all religions, taught that the ultimate goal for all men, women, and children must be “save your soul above all else”.

Have we mixed a very dangerous cocktail here because we have developed a technology that places great power into the hands of ordinary people; many, if not most, of whom have as their ultimate goal the “saving” of their soul rather than the saving of life on this planet?

Isn’t it easy to see why many people find that their ultimate goal in life, i.e. to save their soul, fits quite satisfactorily with the ultimate desire for eternal life? Isn’t it easy to see how such individuals might find that using WMDs is not the worst thing they might do if it will help them save their soul and have eternal life?

Can our species last much longer when we have such a dangerous cocktail ready mixed for instant drinking?

My goals haven't really changed much since I first thought about them as a young adult 40 years ago.

#1 General - do my best to leave the planet and my society in better shape than I found it.

#2 Particular - give my children, and their children, a good start in life. Try to inculcate #1 into them.

#3 Individual - have some FUN while doing #1 and #2! :agree:

I don't worry about the state of my soul. If somebody is up there weighing me in the balance, I'm pretty sure that adherence to #1 and #2 would count in my favour far more than spending time on my knees brown-nosing the almighty or asking him for handouts.

I can remember two times in my life when I seriously asked my self the question “What are my plans for the future?”

I continually ponder this question from time to time.

My first initial passion/quest came when I discovered what Black Holes were in my junior

year in High School. My intense desire was to unravel their nature to understand ultimately

how gravity would/could work at the quantum level. I was after fame, fortune and

understanding. Then thirty seven years of life went by and I still search for that understanding.

In the process I came to use what I found I was talented at, designing SW systems.

At the moment, I am not considering looking at my goals again. I might be looking for

work soon. Ideally, I would like to work either at a National Lab: Sandia, Livermore, etc,

or one of the Accelerators: Fermilab, Brookhaven, SLAC, CERN, etc.

I was raised as a Catholic and taught by nuns; this question was often in the fore front of much of what the nuns taught me. I suspect that this was pretty much what most Christians, Jews, and Muslims were taught. It appears that the three major religions, and perhaps most all religions, taught that the ultimate goal for all men, women, and children must be “save your soul above all else”.

I was raised in a Parochial School for a little over two years. In third grade, I was being

forced to learn to write with my right hand as the "devil controls my left"... ;) :lol: :)

About six weeks was all my parents could take and I went to public school after that.

maddog

I would use the metaphor 'life is sailing ship'.

A sailing ship upon the sea without a North Star or a destination is just reaction without a will.

I suspect that we all are instilled with an unconscious ultimate goal by our upbringing. In my case I was raised by a Catholic family and saving the soul was number one. Many people never become adult Catholics and are guided by their upbringing without consciousness of the matter. Perhaps we never examine this ultimate goal until we begin to seriously care about why humans do the things that we do and can we do better.

I have chosen my ultimate goal as preserving the existence of life on this planet. The study and posting that I do is in response to that goal, I think. Perhaps I am just fooling my self.

• 4 weeks later...

1. to earn a decent wage

2. with 1. accomplished work on 2.

3. with 2. accomplished focus on unlocking my full potential so'z I can start working on 4.

4. is to publish in proper format all my designs then laugh at specific members the scientific community for their narrow minded endless quoting of theories without fully understanding either the theory they're quoting or what it is they are ever so eagerly trying to dismiss as violating said theory and therefore impossible....from there there really ain't much left to aspire to.

My goal used to be to keep on building a better mousetrap, until I finally end up building the definitive, unimprovable, best-ever mousetrap that cannot be bettered. This will take an infinite amount of time, because in an infinite universe, there must be a better mousetrap somewhere - not to mention bigger and more clever mice. Thus my mission evolved to achieve immortality first, else my mousetrap dream will stay only that - a sad and cheesy dream.

But then I became a proud father-to-be, and saw that my kid can take my mousetrap work into the future, after I pass on. So I'm leaving the immortality bit now and concentrating more on the mousetraps. I will not achieve my dream, but I will lay a good and solid foundation in trap designs and prototypes for my kid to build on after my inevitable demise.

But I must also instill a dislike in mice in my son. After all, if he's a mouse-hugger, I cannot expect him to continue my work. That will simply not do.

So as of tonight, no more Mickey Mouse. Tom and Jerry is dandy - because Jerry is just mean to the poor cat, and meanness is unforgivable.

And the woman agrees with me.

So according to my spouse, that louse, Mickey Mouse, is out of my house.

For me I maximise the perfection value of the absolute ultimate quite often as the depth of my conscious advances. I like to gurantee that I am absolutely precise in terms of my own understanding then raise it so it doesnt rule out my initial target objective..like I can pass through the first statement value and meet the co-ordinates of the revision. I have them spread out like that to cover roughly a 100 million year time span (remember they are designed to be absolute perfect conceptual ultimates and the reason for that is that it virtually requires that I think about them quite deeply which then engages multiple levels of consciousness.) I work to a universal expansion scale which presently relates to a 4 phase level surpassment of divinity and I have structured a matrix of goals to pass through a 5 theory chance at immortality. The structure of that matrix philosophy is based on a base theory on symbiotics called compound probability theory which I developed based on my time spent studying rainforests with the australian aboriginals. To go with that I apply a secondary concept of time which we describe as spherical time which basically means we recognise the change of the moment at a personal level and a change in the depth of consciousness as the passing of time. Its an aid to deeper self awareness which allows us the opportunity to pursue goals sub-consciously but of the course the aim is to be completely conscious on all levels and be perfectly self positive to (at present) a second coming of genesis conceptual scale of degree. Of course by realising a way to further maximise the thinking scale and the scale of consciousness we can incorporate that extra consciousness into the goal structure.

So having said all of that my most recent goal application is to achieve complete universal self positivity in order to see if I can prove as a lifes objective the probable truth that in that state of mind the strength and assortment of talent within my command increases for I believe thats what it will take to save the planet. Literally having a consensus directional plan for the planet in place and fully functional in high speed advance by the end of the decade has been my goal since October of 2003 and the idea is to have a documentary film record from the earliest point of recognition that it is actually that..that we can see that it will work and how it will work so that we can then think ahead of time. Ive worked backwards from a point in time 100 million years in advance to cover the symbiotic harmony breakdown angles of consideration. These are partly to do with the issue of leadership to the consciousness and intelligence advance of other species within nature and awareness is in place at that level. I took that approach because when I began I had to develop the ability to think with the integrity of a saviour so I solved it from the point of view of the second coming so people could understand it. I didnt feel I had time to create a whole knew fram of reference and this one works to constant positivity if you take the view that the role of all religion is to get people to the point where they are in harmony with the greatest of their potentiality by being completely and utterly positive to that. Not that religion need be a neccessity but an understanding that that is the basis of the intention helps.

Provency to the theory that there is a talent impact by thinking on those levels and holding positivity to surpassing the conception of divinity as a tune up to what should be one hell of a concert (so I cover that option in my goal structures because I wanted to play that gig as my debut) should result in a chance at some greater resolve...or at least an understanding of what one would be.

If you were to ask me for a suggestion for a goal I could take you to a perfect pitch extreme...for five bucks Australian and a guitar pick. clastraphyx @ yahoo.com happy to give half the money back if its not an instance of awareness you find useful.