Science Forums

Scientific religious prejudice.

Glenn Lyvers

Religion is a fact proven by a higher science being superior to our scientific method and reviewed by a higher power than mankind - thus proving science wrong ...

(just messin' with you)

I'm posting to say I am happy my thread go so many replies. This is a good forum. I'm glad to be part of it.

Glenn

The funny thing is... if "religious methodology" worked—if we could use it to show that there is a God for example—then it would be part of science. It may well be that the only thing that separates religious methodology from the scientific method is that the former gives no reliable results (i.e. it doesn't work) while the latter gives reliable results (i.e. it works).

There IS a way to test the matter: prayer.

If prayers work, it can be proven. If they don't, why say them? Obviously the "daily bread" thing is pretty vague. We need something that's possible but very, very unlikely - we don't want to ask Him to break His own laws.

How about praying for a death-free day? On average, something like 300,000 people die each day. If nobody died at all on a particular day - a day that was prayed for in advance - that would be very weighty evidence in favour of a god. Different days could be allocated to the different flavours of christianity, islam, judaism, hindus, sikhs, even the flying spaghetti monster. And as a control, build a routine into the next Microsoft patch to turn a few hundred million windows machines into prayer wheels for the day. Just in case we're creating our own god without realising it... then all we have to do is check the data.

They'll probably call the whole idea blasphemous - "You can't check up on God!!!" :surprise: The whole religion deal sounds like something by Bernie Madoff: "trust me, and dont ask to look at the books..."

Great point Donk. I think what you say demonstrates something very profound.

Science has no prejudice against religious ideas—it simply has no need for them. God, spirits, souls, and the supernatural in no way help describe the natural world. Gravity works better without the hand of God moving the plants through the sky. Lightning bolts work better without the hand of Zeus throwing them.

If someone ever explains an observable phenomenon (like prayer) which is best explained with a religious idea then science is 100% open to using that explanation. Hell, there are religious scientists the world over who would love for that to happen.

~modest