Science Forums

My Introduction :-)

Dianenoleen

Hello everybody, well i've got to say it "great forum guys" :applause:. It's just that there's so much interesting stuff to read i don't know where to start :artgallery:

Ok Introduction....:wave2:

My name is Diane Noleen (as you might have guessed) and my nickname usually ends up being Dido or just Di.........

I've been looking for a forum to join for a while now, and as usual found one when I wasn't looking lol. I can't remember what I put in google to bring Hypography up (something like genetic algorithms) but i was hooked nearly right away. :read:

I have a new hobby at the moment, well its not really a new one, just an old one given a giant boost. My boyfriend got me a pair of binoculars so I've been outside most nights, star gazing, and last week I saw my first galaxy. :yay_jump:

But appart from astronomy, I'm into Pyrography (yes I'm into art and science which is why I love mandlebrot sets and often wonder what Kind of molecule or atom our universe is :phones:), Geology, Physics, Chemestry, Atomics, Holistic therapies, Botony :tree:, Evolution and last but not least, IT :hihi: to unlock the mysteries of the WWW, which Ive found is only limited by my imagination.

I suppose a bit about myself wouldn't hurt

OK I'm a 42 year old mother of two (Toni 22 and Craig 25) and work in a Beauty Salon as the manager/receptionist.

I love making stuff with my hands, playing PC games, spend hours reading (Terry Pratchett is my fave) and the Discovery channel is my fave TV station.

I live in Doncaster, England at the moment, but im from Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England originally (a few miles down the road from the major oak, where Robin Hood and his merry men used to meet up to plot against the wicked Sherriff of Nottingham :piratesword:).

So anyway i hope that tells you a little bit about me.

Can't wait to make new friends and i hope i can become an interesting member of the forum

Di :smilingsun:

Hi, Di :phones:

fascinating, fascinating. Here, pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

Backyard astronomy was one of my most favorite hobbies as a teenager (and into my 30's). Can't do much of that in Houston, Texas, of course. Too many lights. But I still love astronomy. That galaxy you saw, I'll bet it was the big one in the constellation Andromeda, right?

We have soooo many bright people here with so many diverse interests, you are bound to find a good handful to chat with on almost any scientific subjects.

It would be good to check on our rules. There's a link "FAQ/Rules" in the blue menu bar above. Basically, we are a "preach-free" zone, and frown on trolls and spammers. Lurk all you like, post messages or questions, and have fun.

Pyrotex / Moderator

Well the galaxy was actually The Pinwheel Galaxy in Ursa Major (M101), just simply because it was the first one i came to in the Stargazer's handbook i was using, that was easy for amateur astronomers to find.....

and im certainly amateur cos for two nights i was confused by a certain constellation containing a star i couldn't find, till i realised it was Saturn :shrug:

Welcome Di to Hypography,

Like you I am fascinated by Iterative Function Systems such as the Mandlebrot Set and

other Fractals. I had learned this is a more general system and any holomorphic function

can make an IFS to look like a fractal. For instance I tried the following:

[math]f(z) = cos^2 (2*z^2) + c => z[/math]

This makes a fractal that look like beads along the x-axis with fractal hair all over it.

As for Astronomy I was an enthusiast since I heard on the radio that John Glenn made it into space. As an adolescent I built my own 6" Newtonian Reflector telescope (as a kit).

Once I learned of the possibility of Black Holes, I wanted to go study Astrophysics. I nearly

finished and switched to Physics my senior year as I realized I was even more interested in

the fundamentals.

See you around.

maddog

ps: I always loved those Robin Hood stories.... ;)

Hello Di....

Actually, from reading your intro, i think a lot of people here would LOVE to have a girlfriend like yourself, I know i certainly would love to find someone like you :)

No i am neither rambling nor hitting on you.

I dont want to speak highly of myself, so i'll have to get confirmation from other members here, but i believe that i am a geek, i also love science, even if more then half the time the math is way above my head, i hate math, but i am willing to learn it to understand high-level physics, leave it at that. I also enjoy making things with my own hands, i design, build or hack things nearly weekly, i've built TV remote remote controlled robots, a light controller that responded to your mood that depending on your mood (well you did have to declare what mood you were in) would dim and gel the lights in a room to certain levels, and if you didnt like the settings, you could tell it to change the settings, and it was intelligent enough to not just remember those settings, but from it's history, tweak what it would set the mood in the room to when you were in a particular mood (so say you were in a mood that would output a cold blue light at a medium setting (some level of excitement), and you wanted more bright colors, perhaps the next level color gel this time, and more bright colors last time you were in that mood, it would auto adjust to giving a brighter color, not necessarily the ones you chose last time though, nor the settings, but after a while it was kind of cool as i found less and less tweaking was needed. I built a laser mouse based controller into a turntable needle for controlling an application. I've hacked various systems to do things they weren't supposed to, creating a mesh of cell phone bluetooth headsets that communicated all together (like a short range walkie-talkie). Currently working on a computing cluster (yes still, for those of you who know when i started it, i am yet again reconfiguring it)

There are a lot of projects i'd love to fulfill, but they are waiting for better times in terms of personal economics, personal space and time (though i'd love to create a local hacker space)

So, welcome to Hypography, the only place you know, where we have proven, beyond reasonable doubt, that if [math]\pi[/math] was simply approximated to 3, the world would come to an end as we know it :shrug:

Well from the sounds of it I’m never gonna be short of an interesting conversation from now on lol.

Just got back from looking after my daughter who has had a pin removed from her leg, :clue: and I was shocked and disgusted about the lack of enthusiasm, intelligence and general humanity from some of the medical profession! :(

It’s a long and boring story but they even left her without food and water, she had had nothing for 24 hours by the time I found out and fetched her a McDonalds. I then refused to leave till they let me see her. :)

It went from what was supposed to be a quick op (in and out on the same day) to a three day stay in hospital.

She's fine now(well as fine as you can be after an operation, but a bit of pain never killed anyone), tucked up in bed at home with her boyfriend looking after her. :D

Anyway enough of my ranting. :P

I have to admit Maddog that I have only ever done fractals on online fractal generators, but would love to learn more about them. Just one of a million things I have never got round to doing, like joining a forum……

And I did manage to see the picture of the day (M101) just before I left. I still get butterflies in my stomach thinking that the light hitting my retina is 27 million years old. :D

Finally Alexander and everyone else who has given me such a warm welcome thank you, and I’m sure we’ll be chatting again soon. :doh:

Di xxx :QuestionM