Science Forums

DVD Burning Questions...

Yes.

Commercial DVDs ship with anti-piracy encryption in order to prevent exactly what you're attempting to do.

First off, you need a decrypter. Nero does not include a decrypter, they play strictly by the rules. You will not be able to copy any encrypted commercial DVD using Nero.

So what you do is to download the latest version of DVDFab, which includes a decryptor and handy analysis tools.

My personal preference, as far as stability and compression goes, however, is DVDShrink. DVDShrink, however, does not include a decrypter, either. But what you do, is to download DVD43, a handy inline decryptor which presents DVDShrink with a continuous stream of decrypted DVD data - which DVDShrink then compresses from dual-layer 8Gb data to 4.3Gb, small enough to fit a standard single layer DVD-R, without a noticeable drop in either picture or sound quality.

So - the following:

1) Download DVD43 (do a search, I'm not going to paste links to geurilla software here.)

2) Download DVDShrink. (search, again. Both DVDShrink and DVD43 have free versions.)

3) Install both, and enjoy.

DVD43 does not have an interface, it only has a little smiley face in the bottom right of your screen, showing the encryption/decryption status of any optical disk or disk image you might have on a virtual drive. DVDShrink has an interface, but is wholly intuitive - so don't worry about any complexity issues there.

And lastly, MAKE SURE YOU OWN THE DISK YOU'RE BACKING UP. The above software is only legal if you make backups of your own property to protect them from regular wear-and-tear.

Oh yes - many programs check for these kind of programs before they'll install. Some programs might even refuse to execute if there are any traces pointing to these programs found in your registry. So you might have to install and uninstall them quite regularly. Included in the list of blacklisted software are virtual drive emulation software like Alcohol120%, ISOBuster, etc., as well as DVD43 (pronounced DVD-for-free :))

Any case, don't break the law. But there you have it.

Neither Boerseun nor TBA live in the USofA, and a warning to those of you that do, any kind of software that breaks encryption designed to "maintain copyright" is in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA). While owning and using such software is not something that's a high priority in many jurisdictions, the various media companies are hauling people into civil court over it, and if your usage becomes known to them they may sue you for large amounts of damages, even if, like Boerseun says, "you're just doing it to protect your investment from wear-and-tear"....

Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one, :)

Buffy

Yep.

Illegal in the States, the backing up of your own property is very much a gray area in legal terms elsewhere.

But I'm not planning on throwing a blanket over the issue, because ultimately, it boils down to what the user intends to do with it.

I'm not going to stop discussing knives, seeing as I'm planning on buttering toast with it but you might intend to stick it firmly and squarely between your mother-in-law's shoulder blades.

As a matter of fact, Digital Rights Management is such a complete and utter cock-up, even in the States, that they are actually driving good and honest consumers to become pirates.

Consider the completely overrated game "Spore".

You have to register your (legal) copy over the internet every ten days. F-up number one. Then, it also only allows you three installs. Complete and utter f-up number two. Tinkering around with IT myself, my machine undergoes a complete rebuild on average once a month - I try new stuff, play around with new things, end up screwing my registry and reloading an image of how I like my machine. Three months down the line, my copy of Spore will be useless. Try as I might, I can't reload it. So, you never end up "owning" Spore, you're perpetually renting it from Electronic Arts. Who thinks up these things? This whole issue have made "Spore" the most pirated game in the history of electronic entertainment. Go figure. Completely honest consumers are driven to illegal activities through sheer stupidity on the vendor's part.

Same with copy protection on commercial DVDs. These things are so goddamn expensive, that I back up each and every copy I have to DVD-R. I have complete TV series in my cupboard that have been out of the box once - and that was just to copy. So I watch the copies, they lie around the lounge and get scratched into oblivion, up to the point of me discarding them and making another from the "Master". I pay for the content of the disk, not the actual "plastic" its made of. If they don't want me to make copies, then they should at least sell me a much, much more durable disk. And, yes - I do borrow out my disks to friends who want to watch it. Much like I would borrow out a book to a friend. I have and will never charge a friend for that priveledge, because that would be illegal. In my neck of the woods, at least.

So, TBA, as far as I'm concerned, count yourself lucky you don't live in the States where the consumer is not trusted, and ludicrous attempts at copyright protection are turning honest consumers into criminals en masse.

But I'm not planning on throwing a blanket over the issue, because ultimately, it boils down to what the user intends to do with it.

Amen! Fight corporate tyranny! :hyper:

I'm not going to stop discussing knives, seeing as I'm planning on buttering toast with it but you might intend to stick it firmly and squarely between your mother-in-law's shoulder blades.

...so please support the Committee for the Right to Butter Bread with Bowie Knives!

Consider the completely overrated game "Spore".

I think they added the super restricted DRM *precisely* because they wanted to create the image that it was actually worth something! Oldest trick in the marketing book! If you have a total dud product and want to sell a lot of it, make it really "exclusive!" :)

So the quinky dink of the week is that Apple rolled out their DRM-free iTunes on Monday. The "twist of the knife" though is that if you bought something on iTunes that's now available DRM-free, you need to buy it *again* in order to get the DRM-free version (paying at least 30% of what you originally paid)....

I make my living off of easily copyable bits, but there's a not-that-difficult-to-define line between reasonable use and theft and gouging the consumer...

A bully is not reasonable - he is persuaded only by threats, :)

Buffy