Science Forums

I think therefore I am - Challenge.

Glenn Lyvers

I think the main idea behind Descartes's idea of I think before I am is that we exist due to our ideas. Our ability to obtain information, analyze it, than come to a conclusion. A person's ideas and thoughts define who they are. If we remember the era and time Descartes is coming from, enlightenment period, we can deduce that the idea of formulating hypothesis's and coming up with conclusions are the main theme. Everyone was coming into their own, questioning authority(catholic church), and trying to come up with the reason behind all questionable things. I feel his idea is stressing the point that everyone must question things and formulate their own basis on credability.

Guest Phoenix_Enflame
I think the main idea behind Descartes's idea of I think before I am is that we exist due to our ideas. Our ability to obtain information, analyze it, than come to a conclusion. A person's ideas and thoughts define who they are. If we remember the era and time Descartes is coming from, enlightenment period, we can deduce that the idea of formulating hypothesis's and coming up with conclusions are the main theme. Everyone was coming into their own, questioning authority(catholic church), and trying to come up with the reason behind all questionable things. I feel his idea is stressing the point that everyone must question things and formulate their own basis on credability.

I believe that our actions also define who we are.

"The smallest gesture is greater than the largest of intentions."

We may be full of ideas and thoughts and kindness, but if we do nothing with them, then what are we?