Science Forums

Genus Epiphyllum: Orchid Cacti

Epiphyllum is a genus of epiphytic succulents native to Mexico/Central America. They are known for their broad, flat leaves and their large flowers, which often bloom for only one day.

Many people collect them, trading with other collectors and breeding hybrids (of which there are approximately 20,000 registered).

So, here's the thread to discuss them. Need information? Looking to grow some? Are you already an avid collector?

I just bought my first, after being introduced to them on an Epiphyllum forum. It's an Oxypetalum, which is known for it's large, fragrant, white flowers which bloom for only one night. I'm already addicted!

Is E. oxypetalum viviparous? Some of the Epiphyllum species are, and they produce quite beautiful fruits that burst with germinating seedlings. There are some good pics of the viviparous fruits/offspring in this paper:

viviparity in E. phyllanthus

The above article may be interesting to anyone interested in the ecology/evolution of viviparous plants/cacti in general:

Vivipary and offspring survival in the epiphytic cactus Epiphyllum phyllanthus (Cactaceae) -- Cota-Sánchez and Abreu, 10.1093/jxb/erm232 -- Journal of Experimental Botany

Our data suggest that vivipary is an intrinsic reproductive mechanism favouring the germination and dispersal of the fittest offspring regardless of substrate and environmental conditions. Even with the expensive metabolic costs involved in viviparous reproduction, the proportion of the fittest individuals able to establish successfully during the early stages, though relatively low, is equivalent in the two lots under natural conditions. Therefore, germination is not a limiting factor in the perpetuation of viviparous species, but seedling establishment is. In viviparous individuals of E. phyllanthus seedling mortality during the acclimation and establishment phases rather than failure to germinate within the fruit appears to be one of the limiting factors affecting local population density.

In conclusion, the incidence of vivipary in phylogenetically distinct lineages of the cactus family is evidence of a parallel directional change towards a more practical reproductive mechanism. In other words, it is a reproductive advantage that, in addition to allowing propagules to root and grow almost immediately, favours quick establishment whenever seedlings land on suitable substrates.

Is E. oxypetalum viviparous? Some of the Epiphyllum species are, and they produce quite beautiful fruits that burst with germinating seedlings. There are some good pics of the viviparous fruits/offspring in this paper:

viviparity in E. phyllanthus

The above article may be interesting to anyone interested in the ecology/evolution of viviparous plants/cacti in general:

That is absolutely fantastic information Galapagos! Thanks for sharing!

Oxypetalum is not viviparous, and furthermore requires fertilization from another Oxy plant (many Epies are able to self-fertilize).

It makes me want to get my hands on a viviparous specimen. It would certainly make germination easier. From planted seeds, it can take many months for seedlings to grow to the size shown in your pictures above.

interesting

besides having a pretty flower and being edible

i wonder the other properties

i read about 75%

it was definately cool

but it all had to do with growth

in wikipedia, it was said to be a fruit

neither of these articles discussed the nutients in them

although a viviparious plant is cool

(especially in low rain areas)

i did not know that word, although vivi->life

i assumed it meant growing while on the plant

once again thank you for the read

I used to keep some of those cacti, they had huge blooms and a fruit called a dragon fruit. They were air plants, epiphytes, no soil needed.

Dragon fruit plant actually make up another genus: Hylocereus.

They are no doubt related and their leaves are very similar, but different indeed. Epiphyllum fruit are edible though, and from what I hear very tasty.

Okay! A wonderful woman from LA sent me some cuttings, which arrived today! :]

The first image shows the cuttings, four of one variety, and a rooted cutting of another (which she included as a surprise!). :shop:

I planted these the second I received them and the second, third and fourth pictures show the final results. The species with 4 cuttings is Epiphyllum Crenatum. By potting them together you get a more hearty specimen with stronger root growth, and hopefully, an earlier bloom.

The rooted cutting is a hybrid: E. "Climax"

I'm working on figuring out what the parent species are.

The final picture is of all of my pots together, including my original which I have named Heathcliff.:)

Okay! A wonderful woman from LA sent me some cuttings, which arrived today! :]

The first image shows the cuttings, four of one variety, and a rooted cutting of another (which she included as a surprise!). :shop:

I planted these the second I received them and the second, third and fourth pictures show the final results. The species with 4 cuttings is Epiphyllum Crenatum. By potting them together you get a more hearty specimen with stronger root growth, and hopefully, an earlier bloom.

The rooted cutting is a hybrid: E. "Climax"

I'm working on figuring out what the parent species are.

The final picture is of all of my pots together, including my original which I have named Heathcliff.:)

Nice work! Looking at Heathcliff's new friends, I was struck how they look like Christmas Cactus which we have got as Christmas gifts from time to time. None on hand now as I think the last one was left outside & froze a couple years ago. :eek: :doh:

Looks like Christmas Cactus go by many names:

Holiday Cactus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...Other synonyms[verification needed] include Epiphyllum altensteinii, Schlumbergera truncata var. altensteinii, Zygocactus truncatus var. altensteinii, Epiphyllum bridgesii, Epiphyllum truncatum var. bridgesii, Zygocactus bridgesii, Epiphyllum delicatum, Schlumbergera truncata var. delicata, Zygocactus delicatus, Epiphyllum ruckeri, Epiphyllum ruckerianum, Cactus truncatus, Epiphyllum truncatum.

Christmas Cacti are indeed related to Epies, although I disagree with wikipedia's ideas of "synonyms." None should have the classification of Epiphyllum, since that's a completely different genus.

I do believe however, that Epiphyllum can be hybridized with Schlumbergera, and that's how one gets some of the spectacular varieties of Epies that are seen today.

• 2 weeks later...

My plants have safely weathered the trip to Massachusetts, and are situated in their new home (my dorm).

The only problem is that they have a northern exposure, which will definitely affect their growing patterns.

I'm still waiting on some sign of new growth on any of the cuttings, but no such luck.

A Note On: Epiphyllum transitions.

MB

This morning I discovered something fantastic: New growth!

After having my plants for only a couple weeks, I hadn't expected to see any "action" so soon, especially since it's the middle of winter!

Anyway, here's a picture. The growth is on my "Climax" specimen. The most interesting part of this whole thing is that this new growth is coming from an areole on the top of what appears to be a young growth itself! (See picture above for a better view of the whole plant). I would have expected any new growth to come from the main plant body, rather than a younger appendage.

A Note On: Pleasant Epi-growth surprises.

MB

those look great man!!! We have oodles of E. oxy growing around here, if you are wanting any cuttings to try and breed them, just pm me :) i got a stack of cuttings sitting by my monitor now waiting for pots lol.

they are for sure self sterile. every time i have tried to self them, nothing comes of it :( Last year i did a bunch of attempts at hybridizing this species with dragon fruit (Hylocereus undatus) but they did nothing as well, these were just simple pollen swaps though. this year i will try some style grafts and see what comes of that.

the "christmas cactus" we always bought in western canada were almost always of the Zygocactus genus, which is now lumped in with Schlumbergera species.

from cacti guide (a great cacti resource!)

Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Common Name(s): Dutchman's-Pipe Cactus

Synonym(s): Cereus oxypetalus, Phyllocactus oxypetalus, Cereus latifrons, Epiphyllum latifrons, Phyllocactus grandis, Epiphyllum grande, Epiphyllum acuminatum

Dutchman's-Pipe Cactus reminds me of a photo i took a couple years ago of flowers the day before opening...i was thinking pipe as well!

another one that may be fun to try hybridizing with is Rhipsalis sp.

so cool to see other cacti philes here :D

10 years give or take. thats how that species grows when planted in ground and left alone. these do grow "wild" here, once planted. but they are not naturalized cause there are no pollinators here and most localities are all clones of the same plant, so it doesn't matter anyway. people rarely grow them hanging here, generally in the grown as they will grow a couple meters high on their own then bend over as they get top heavy.

any other species you have on the way?