Science Forums

Genus Epiphyllum: Orchid Cacti

I just received some more rooted cuttings today in the mail. This brings my collection to 11 different Epiphyllum species/hybrids. Here's a pic of them in my dorm window.

The woman who kindly sent me the new Epi cuttings also threw in a couple other succulents.

A Note On: A growing Epiphyllum family.

MB

• 2 months later...

It's spring! Which means that there is a ton of new growth on my epies!

In addition, I've decided to try out a "beer fertilizer" that veteran Epiphyllum-lovers swear by.

Apparently it makes the plants go wild... and I'm sure that it works equally well for many types of plants, so I thought I'd share it with you all

Here's the formula:

12 oz of beer.

1/2 cup plain household ammonia

1 cup Epsom Salts

2 cups of water

1 Tbsp of this formula is added to a gallon of water, and used once every 2 weeks during the summer.

I ended up using Guinness Stout. Results to follow!

MB

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there's plenty of new spring/summer growth on a number of my plants. I do think that the fertilizer is helping, but I do have some younger cuttings that are basically just sitting there. Here are a couple shots.

The first are some of my younger plants, as well as my oldest (my E. Oxypetalum).

The second is a shot of the plants that I have outside right now. They seem to be enjoying the heat and sun, but I need to come up with a solution to protect them from freak thunderstorms/rain showers. I don't want to have to keep lugging them inside whenever there's a chance of rain. Also, in the back of the shot is a cryptocereus anthonyanus.

In the last couple days, my collection of Epis has reached 22 potted specimens as well as about 5 other potted succulents.

Aside from multiple cuttings, I also received a large, mature plant. This hybrid's name is Epiphyllum Dracula. It's largest growth is a meter tall, root to tip. I decided to use a tomato cage to keep its growth contained and upright.

If anyone wants any cuttings, let me know. :surprise:

• 5 months later...
In the last couple days, my collection of Epis has reached 22 potted specimens as well as about 5 other potted succulents.

Aside from multiple cuttings, I also received a large, mature plant. This hybrid's name is Epiphyllum Dracula. It's largest growth is a meter tall, root to tip. I decided to use a tomato cage to keep its growth contained and upright.

If anyone wants any cuttings, let me know. :)

If you could spare any cuttings, please let me know, Mercedes Benzene. I'd like to give these a go. Do they tolerate cold (but not freezing) well? I have an indoor garden room where I think they might flourish, but it's not heated. So far I've been growing indoor cool-weather veggies and greens.

If you could spare any cuttings, please let me know, Mercedes Benzene. I'd like to give these a go. Do they tolerate cold (but not freezing) well? I have an indoor garden room where I think they might flourish, but it's not heated. So far I've been growing indoor cool-weather veggies and greens.

They are generally comfortable with low 60s during the winter (they like a period of hibernation), so they may be fine in your garden room. Where do you live? I worry about cuttings not surviving a trip in the mail during the winter. I'd be happy to send you some in the spring though. :)

They are generally comfortable with low 60s during the winter (they like a period of hibernation), so they may be fine in your garden room. Where do you live? I worry about cuttings not surviving a trip in the mail during the winter. I'd be happy to send you some in the spring though. :agree:

I'm in Utah, close by the Rockies. We get (and have been getting) cold winters here. Spring would be fine, just another few months away. :)