Science Forums

Newbie to mac

Why would you back up mac if you even brake the seal on the computer you void the waranty also breaking your license agreement. with a non mac you are able to customize anything you want and not send it to the mac store every time you want something done. i also hate that they make you wait on a stool to fix a ipod..... The very main reason that i don't support mac is that there commercials just bash windows they do not promote themselves, it just seems very rude and imature of a company to me. if mac is so great why don't they just make a commercial about them not how pc is bad

if you are talking about towers, you are wrong, you can customize it without voiding any warrantee, you wanna throw in more ram or a better video card, why the hell would they stop you, that is the easiest chassis to modify from my experience, and i have worked if not with all, with most chassis released in the past 7-8 years by all main manufacturer's, hp, ibm and dell, as well as many other chassis, you dont even need to use a screw driver to take it apart, its so easy, its brilliant, of anything it encourages you to modify and clean your machine!

if you mess something up as the result of tinkering, like drop a screw driver and break your mobo, or breaking a cable, because you decided to rip it out with a pair of dikes, they will not cover it, but its that way with dell, ibm, and hp, and its your fault, not their product's!

Lol so you dont like mac because of their commercials? roflcopters, that's like not liking a bugatti veyron because you dont like the color of the engine cover, or not liking that smoking hot super model that's totally into you, because you don't like the company that made her purse....

Hi all,

from university I just received a new laptop. It is a mac.

I have never used Mac before, so I wanted to know if anyone knows some good online tutorials.

I would like a tutorial on how to use Mac in general (in the Windows kind of way) and how to use it linux-like (i.e. from comand line), if there is a difference to linux obviously :shrug:

A big thanks in advance.

What Tormod said covers online. I also recommend some O'Reilly books and if you have access to their Safari accounts for books online check out their books on MacOS X. There are two different kinds - one covers the user (GUI) layer and the other covers the (Geeky) Linux-like/unix-like layer of the Darwin interface of Mac OS X. I believe by know they have the Leopard versions (I am currently still using Tiger).

If you develop any code, you will Really like Xcode. It is the slickest toolset I have seen yet. I have seen a few. I even use .Net and VS 2005 at work. It is nothing compared to the power of Xcode. Sad for me is I am not sure how much longer Apple will support the PowerPC architecture. :)

Good Luck Sanctus & Good Choice !!! :)

maddog

if you have a g5, i think next version will still support it, g4's are already getting antiquated, leopard needs a 1.2GHz or something... i have tiger on a 800mhz ppc (g4), though its rarely booted up, i have to say, i like linux on that box a lot more, and leopard on this MBP

Xcode is good on mac, Kdevelop is good on linux... dunno if its comporable on windows... and yes .net and VS suck quite a bit

i still tend to use text wrangler and command line utils on my mac, never saw what people see in these big develpment suites....