Science Forums

Talk about God from a biology forum thread

goku

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that either Muslims or Jews had to keep their womens hair covered up because it tempted angels to have sex with them or something like that but i didn't realize is was in the New Testament too. Goku, does your church follow this rule?

1 cor 11:16 "we have no such custom"

did you read verse 16?

this is it

11:16

If anyone intends to quarrel about this, we have no other practice, nor do the churches of God.

and it comes after this

11:5

But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered disgraces her head, for it is one and the same thing as having a shaved head.

You give complete deference to the Bible and it's interpreter in the form of your pastor.
we believe the Bible is of no one man's interpretation

i'll ask some elders at church tomorrow, if i don't forget :)

So maybe instead of one man's interpretation, you give deference to the church "elders."

Why is their interpretation more valid than your own?

I suggest that the reason your church doesn't comply with certain requirements described in Corinthians, Laviticus, Romans, or the like is that it has decided that those rules are no longer applicable in this day and age, and unless addressing specific hot-button issues of today like homosexuality, can simply be ignored as essentially irrelevant.

How can the rest be ignored but something like homosexuality be such a hot topic? For me if it's all supposed to be true then you either believe it or you don't. I don't because I can't see an excuse to edit the word of God. If it's possible to edit the bible to your own liking then anything goes.

How can the rest be ignored but something like homosexuality be such a hot topic? For me if it's all supposed to be true then you either believe it or you don't. I don't because I can't see an excuse to edit the word of God. If it's possible to edit the bible to your own liking then anything goes.

Right! And how great is it for anything to go when you can claim that it is what god intends?

That is why there are so many interpretations and denominations just within Christianity - because most people want the "word of god" to be what they want it to be, and nothing more. If the church leadership decides to impose a more strict fundamentalist interpretation, or vice versa, people may choose to find a different church that suits them better.

Happens all the time.

Absolutely.

I wasn't even middle aged when I realized that congregations were 75% made up of people with similar attitudes, feelings, opinions and lifestyles. There just isn't much diversity in a church congregation. Of course! The dominant attitude and mind-set is going to attract "birds of a feather", who will "flock together". People with a different mind-set will be attracted to a different church containing folks who are "just like them". So, the liberal tolerant folks go to that church, and the tight-fisted paranoids go to that church, and the self-righteous wife beaters go to that church, and the fun-loving huggers go to that church, and.... etc.

Ask them about speaking in tongues and prophesying too.

the tongues thing comes from the time the deciples were preaching to a crowd of people who spoke many different languages, and every person heard their own language.

as for covering the head, just a custom.

the tongues thing comes from the time the deciples were preaching to a crowd of people who spoke many different languages, and every person heard their own language.

as for covering the head, just a custom.

So the origins of the custom and it's manditory connection with worship have no meaning?

Does your church beleive that speaking in tongues during chruch services is real and a part of worship?

cus they were here before me

I can understand that, but who is to say they are interpreting the scriptures correctly? Is there no way to confirm what is right and what is wrong? Lots of things in the Bible that are contradictory, how do they explain those things? If it's just what they say who decides what they say is correct?

So the origins of the custom and it's manditory connection with worship have no meaning?

Does your church beleive that speaking in tongues during chruch services is real and a part of worship?

every part of the Bible has meaning, but we do not understand everything

there is no need to speak in tongues, we all speak english

I can understand that, but who is to say they are interpreting the scriptures correctly? Is there no way to confirm what is right and what is wrong? Lots of things in the Bible that are contradictory, how do they explain those things? If it's just what they say who decides what they say is correct?

the Holy Spirit speaks to the heart and lets anyone know right and wrong