Science Forums

Vista - another issue...

Boerseun, you can have 1000000 files with those names loaded into memory, it would still let you create and modify the files no problems.

You are not the only one with this problem though your problem does sound peculiar.

ok, first lets do this: per your outlook problem, first close outlook and delete the files that in this directory:

find out where your temproary files are stored (its a reg key)

Outlook 97 HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0OutlookSecurity

Outlook 98 HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.5OutlookSecurity

Outlook 2000 HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0OutlookSecurity

Outlook 2002/XP HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0OutlookSecurity

Outlook 2003 HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0OutlookSecurity

Outlook 2007 HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice12.0OutlookSecurity

Then go into the folder listed there

C:Documents and Settings{user}Local SettingsTemporary Internet FilesOLK{##} (such as OLK19)

go into the folder and see if there are any files with the image names, like the ones you are describing, if there are, remove them

Also go and check the permissions on the Temporary Internet Files directory

Also check the permissions on C:windowsTemporary Internet Files, i just had a case where that folder was nonexistent, that was causing all sorts of weird things to happen

I can create a file called Image001.jpg on another computer, copy it to a stick, and insert into the problem box. The machine will enumerate all files on the stick, and show the file "Image001.jpg" on the explorer window.

Hi Boerseun,

This could possibly have something to do with the old 8.3 DOS compatible file naming convention/option for longer filenames. A file called Image_Long_File_Name.jpg would appear as Image~01.jpg at the command prompt. You should be able to set Vista to ignore the 8.3 format.

Laurie, the issue with long file names has been solved completely since XP-ish times. Sorry 2000 Pro, since the kernel was completely rewritten... certainly is not present in outlook, i have checked everything from 2000 to 2007, and a couple of express versions, on xp and vista...

I mean clearly Boerseun has the issue, but its that computer setup-specific... its something stupid, i tell ya :)

Laurie, the issue with long file names has been solved completely since XP-ish times. Sorry 2000 Pro, since the kernel was completely rewritten... certainly is not present in outlook, i have checked everything from 2000 to 2007, and a couple of express versions, on xp and vista...

Hi Alexander,

I read recently (last week) about a Vista registry entry to totally disable 8.3 format. I'll dig up the mag, read the article in more detail and get back to you.

hey, i dont claim to be the expert, i'd like to read the article myself :piratesword:

Hi Alexander,

I've read one magazine from cover to cover with no luck, I'll have to read the other one I read in the past week.

One thing about vista and XP is that they still run some old 16 bit applications that use the old 8.3 format. I know and MS gets the orders wrong, particularly in the short directory names. There's nothing worse than having 3 MICRO~01,2,3 etc directories, selecting say '02, and finding that the program cannot be found because Vista presents '01 or '03. I think it has something to do with the current index order in windows that is used when the 16 bit program calls windows and expects just a straight alphabetic order.

Permanently disabling 8.3 would kill 16 bit app paths.

Hey Laurie - thanks for the reply, but it clearly is not an 8.3 issue. Apart from the fact that what Alex says is true, there's no problem at all with creating a file called Image004.jpg. Same length, different number at the end.

Apart from all the above, the filename "image001,jpg" fits neatly into the 8.3 slot, in any case.

My friend had to go down to the Cape for a few weeks on a family trip, so I'll have to wait a bit before getting to the box again.

But I still have found no answer.

Peculiar... very peculiar...

One thing about vista and XP is that they still run some old 16 bit applications that use the old 8.3 format. I know and MS gets the orders wrong, particularly in the short directory names.

well there is some truth to that, XP still was capable of running 16 bit apps, they did have a problem with 8.3 naming scheme, though it was mostly resolved, as i dont recall having any 16 bit app probs, and we have 2 applications we run at work that have some 16bit binaries and libs they use.

The vista part is entirely different. Vista does NOT have a 16 bit subsystem, they emulate paths, but the OS is not capable of running 16 bit apps, nor is there a part of the OS that is 16 bit... Its that way with the server 2008 as well.... Well Vista since SP1 runs the server kernel and all, so not a surprizing statement there...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds like VISTA is outa here.

Microsoft's Ballmer touts 'best version of Windows ever'

As expected' date=' Ballmer announced that Microsoft is releasing a beta version of Windows 7, which will be available for download beginning Friday. The news suggests the world's largest software maker may be giving up efforts to rehabilitate its often-maligned Vista operating system, which was released worldwide in January 2007.

"We are on track to deliver the best version of Windows ever," Ballmer told an audience of several thousand tech professionals and journalists inside a cavernous ballroom at the Venetian hotel. "We're working hard to get it right and get it ready."

Without mentioning the security and compatibility issues that have dogged Vista, Ballmer promised that Windows 7 will make PCs faster and easier to use. He didn't offer a timetable for its official release, although Windows Vista went on sale more than two years after it was issued in beta form. [/quote']

Microsoft's Ballmer touts 'best version of Windows ever' - CNN.com