Science Forums

The white light

Queso

....and it's not truth, it's claims. reports.

All evidence about NDE's is based on claims and reports, for and against an afterlife. I'm certainly not arguing for NDE's being real, or against it, but it's fair to note that physiological studies are looking for physical mechanisms by which those claims and reports can be explained. It's still based on claims and reports.

If it can be explained by anoxia, could someone just do a study on those folks that deprive their brain fo oxygen on purpose, for the rush? I wonder if they ever feel like they're looking down on their body or a similar sensation (other then lightheadedness, of course).

Hmmm....

A rebuttal by someone is at least as biased as the author he rebuts.... and since there is no legitimate evidence of a soul or an afterlife, Ockham's razor has us reject the soul-based explanation in favor of the rational one.
An interesting rebuttal to… “ proved, scientifically, that NDE’s are hallucinations caused by brain activity.”
This is simply just the light hanging above them in the hospital.
This thread is interesting to me more because it gets folks to display a bias more than anything else. RR has produced interesting anecdotal evidence of a number of experiences are are very difficult to reproduce, but seem legitimately inferential. Telemad generated credible refutations to some elements, but did not offer why hypoxia would produce (for example) positive emotions versus negative ones; Orb started the thread with a postualte that this stuff is easily explained.

It seems to underline Clarence Day's suggestion that "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".

I'm jumping into a already lengthy thread and my be re-iterating points made by othesr, if so, sorry.

I think we can all agree that the human brain is a highly complex organ and its functions are still a bit illusive, yet we also grant that the human mind/brain has a great ability to alter itself. Through such examples of disassociative disorders (a psychologically induced state) to shock brought on by physical trauma, that the brain insulates itself from bad things through both psychology and chemistry. I think it would interesting to examine near death experiences in cultures that do not have a mythology(my interpretation) of "the bright light". Perhaps one would see a psychological component that cultures imprint onto the mind as a comforting agent in dire situations.