Science Forums

Ftp

TINNY

It depends on what you're using as your ftp client. Most that I've worked with (especially that sucky Internet Explorer) won't let you drag and drop directly from one remote folder to another. Try dragging it onto your local machine and then dragging it back to the different location on the remote machine.

Cheers,

Buffy

You dont need any utils under windooze in order to do drag and drop on an ftp server, all you need is explorer... Right click on start, do explore, in the bar where you see the adress, or if there is no such bar enable it in the menu, its somewhere there, i cant tell you exactly, havent worked on windows for a few weeks, anyways in the bar where you see something like "C:Program Files" type in the ftp adress of wherever you are visiting, enter to continue, chances are that there will be an authentication window popping up, if not though, go to the top left menu "File or whatever" and press "log in as" which will prompt you for a user/pass, login, as long as you have read/write privilages, you should have no problems dragging and dropping between the folders. If that doesnt work, open another explorer window by the side of the old one, go into temp folder, now you can drag into the open folder on the new widow, and drag back to the ftp connected one :( ...

YOu guys. it seems that you got me wrong.

Alex, obviously explorer is adequate. and can do drag and drop. but you can't drag-drop from a remote folder to another remote folder. there'll be a 'no drop' kind of symbol on the cursor. can't be done that way.

BUffy, your suggestion is not suitable. the file is 200mb. i can't just drag to my local drive and drag-drop to the remote folder again. it will download and reupload. and the upload speed at this comp lab is about 10kbps. too long to wait. i can't just leave it there coz someone else might come in and modify the site

nemo, i'll try some of those links. thanks.

I think this is the way FTP works - it will always use your local machine as either the start or end. So you need to first fornload it, then upload it. The only other solution I can think of is to use a console program (like Windows' Remote Desktop) and FTP the file from a remote machine directly.

Perhaps I spend too much time in Linux; my MS technique examples are suffering...

In order to accomplish what I had suggested, you would need to be logged on to the web server in a manner that provided you either a terminal (DOS prompt) or explorer window from the web server's point of view. This could be achieved by logging on through Terminal Services or any remote desktop environment, such as PC Anywhere or VNC; allowing you to drag files from your virtual desktop (on the web server) directly to another location without transferring the file(s) to your workstation as a stopping point. This method cannot be implemented through simply logging on to a shared folder on the web server through SMB or AD, as all actions will be executed with your workstation as the originating point.

The short version is: I agree with your last post, but that's not what I was suggesting.

Like nemo sez, you could do it if you had a package like PCAnywhere or TightVNC BOTH on your local machine AND on one of the web servers, which would allow you to work within a window as if you were using it directly. Unfortunately it sounds like you don't have either, so there's no magical way to do it (if both servers were unix variants, AND you had shell accounts on both you could too, but that doesn't sound like its the case either) FTP only works local to remote, so you're stuck downloading it locally and pushing it back up....sorry!

Cheers,

Buffy