Science Forums

Thinking about life

Queso

I see so many unhappy people. They do the same things every day, and when I confront them, they tell me that that's just life, and it's what they have to do.

But it's not.

Why do people forget that we can do almost anything we want to?

I have some family in Maine that will never ever leave that state. I could understand that if they have been places, but they havn't. Most of them are alchoholics, and drug attics.

Does this have something to do with the evolution of the mind?

We are at the brink of realization and 'intelligence' in the history of ourselves in time. Our minds have the potential to be so much more, and I was thinking...

Do some of us just have more capable minds?

I hate to phrase it like this, but I feel like some people are just so simple, almost primitive.

I feel like they are just...completely incapable of even thinking for themselves.

I would really like to think that we are all capable, I think that would make this world a little less hostile, but I just don't know...

I hate to phrase it like this, but I feel like some people are just so simple, almost primitive.

I feel like they are just...completely incapable of even thinking for themselves.

i would say that they usually are more scared of taking responsibilty than incapable of thinking. If you think yourself you'll have to defend what you said.

i would say that they usually are more scared of taking responsibilty than incapable of thinking. If you think yourself you'll have to defend what you said.
Depending on my mood i've swung between these and my third theory that's probably less charitable than the other two. People screw up their own lives because they're either:

1) Stupid (Orb's theory)

2) Scared (sanctus' theory)

3) Lazy (Buffy's theory)

It actually takes hard work to get somewhere in life, and some of the people who have affected me the most and become the closest friends are not the brightest bulbs, but they've worked really hard. We all get scared, but you can work hard to overcome it: I used to be petrified to give public speeches, but through lots of practice, its now fun to get up in front of an audience and entertain them; I like the quote "Courage is not the abscence of fear, it is the ability to conquer it." (lots o sources). I think laziness is the root of people getting trapped, although it can mask itself as fear, and in many cases people need to learn from someone else that they can do something and succeed (its not "programmed in" by an intelligent creator ;)). Most of the time, its just easier to sit around drinking too much and complaining that you can't do anything about it.

"There is no try. Only Do or Not Do." -- Yoda

Cheers,

Buffy

Some people like to lead, and some like to follow. Its not just people, we see it in animals also. Leading requires responsibality, confidence to be oneself, and take responsiablity not only for being right, or doing good, but for being wrong and admiting mistakes. I see an evolution in mind, more people are learning to read others. My sister already gets teh Deja Vu's, from predicting other people. I hate this, it makes me feel manipulative, knowing like outcomes from an action, when am i acting natural, and when am i doing it for the desired outcome. People will always resist change, not all, but some, but you cannot stop progression, people will continue to learn, and devolp, even if its a minority, one man with a machine gun can take on 100's with sticks. :( hope this helps