Science Forums

Presidential Debate: Round 2

Turtle

Well, I think that given the format, McCain will either seem far superior to Obama, or completely out of touch. A lot depends on the questions asked by the audience, and whether they care much about the recent harsh attacks coming from the campaigns. Obama will likely have the same problems he's had all along - appearing to professorial and providing too much pretty rhetoric, while McCain has to be careful not to come across as a tired old man. If McCain is as good as he was years ago, he'll be a formidable opponent. If he tries to pander to his base, he's going to fall flat on his ***. The whole reason anybody likes him is because he's not willing to pander to the base, unless, apparently, he thinks it will win him the election. He's alienating his previously very strong supporters who were independents, and this is his chance to win them back.

I want to see two things. From a very simplistic point of view, I want to see their roles being reversed. Obama being more critical of McCain, and Mcain being more charming, and less insulting.

I have very little faith in McCain right now. To me, it feels like his campaign has very little substance and his only option is to attack Obama, his ideas, and his 'lack of experience'. I'd like to see him focus more on his own ideas for the presidency and America. And stop with the damn petty insults. They're getting you nowhere, fast.

As for Obama, I'd like to see him be more assertive, and to be critical of McCain's ideas. I want to see him on the attack, without resorting to the dirty tactics that McCain has thus far employed. To question what McCain has to bring to America, and question his ideas for sorting the problems in the US today. And stop trying to be 'charming', and smiling when McCain is insulting you. Let the people know that you have a limit. Enough is enough.

And on a more personal level, I'd love to see a streaker leap up on stage. How awesome would that be?(hoping that it was a female streaker, but hey I'm not fussy, any ol' streaker will do)

I can see it now, McCain is getting panned, Palin leaps on stage wearing only a lipstick covered smile. (that would pretty much sum up the republican campaign so far)

So far, so nothin' new. Neither guy is answering the questions. I'm hoping Brockaw blows a gasket as that seems the only hope for sparks. Barry needs to take off his jacket and roll up his sleeves & out-stage Johnny. :lightning

Obama is being clear cool concise and on message. I get what his saying ! In comparison McCain is pandering accusatory and I must say a bit disparate to the point looking like a flop sweaty unstable old man out of sync with the time we are in..

eeh, same could be said in another direction here... i think the most dissapointing factor is that we heard little new from the first debate, and that is, frankly, sad. I was hoping for this one to be less of a "he said/she said" and more of a "this is who i am, this is how i intend to rule, these are my policies"....

I agree with spiked, Palin streaking the stage would have been the highlight of the evening. Obama seemed a little more knowledgeable McCain a little more condescending. McCain seemed a little miffed that Obama stole his thunder about catching Binladen. he seemed to be uncomfortable saying he wouldn't invade Afghanistan to get Binladen as thought he just wanted to be different instead of honest. I think we are faced with choosing the lesser of two evils but that is with out a doubt Obama.

From an objective viewpoint, I thought Obama sounded more convincing, more in Grasp of the challenges at hand.

From a Biased viewpoint, I thought Obama kicked McCains ***. Mcain looks like a short little old fuddy duddy.. With no real answer on how to fix our big problems..

I already know who I'm voting for.. And I don't care if Sarah Palin comes out in a swimsuit offering BJ's to the voters.

:):lightning:smart:

After tonight, I hope I never have to hear another word about LAPEL PINS! :lightning

Once again, the debate spoke for itself. Anyone with an honest and objective point of view can easily tell who has a better grasp of the issues, a better plan for dealing with them, a better ability to convey his message, and a more genuine representation of change from the current imbecilic, incompetent, ideologically driven, repressive, secretive, corrupt, dishonest, hegemonic batch of morons that has been fumbling through the last eight years at our expense and the expence of our foreign relations, but not surprisingly to the great benefit of their wealthy cohorts.

Enough!

After tonight, I hope I never have to hear another word about LAPEL PINS! :lightning

Once again, the debate spoke for itself. Anyone with an honest and objective point of view can easily tell who has a better grasp of the issues, a better plan for dealing with them, a better ability to convey his message, and a more genuine representation of change from the current imbecilic, incompetent, ideologically driven, repressive, secretive, corrupt, dishonest, hegemonic batch of morons that has been fumbling through the last eight years at our expense and the expence of our foreign relations, but not surprisingly to the great benefit of their wealthy cohorts.

Enough!

So you're voting for McCain?

:smart:

Objectively I don't believe McCain did what he needed to. He needed a win, even if by just a little bit, to stop Obama's growing momentum.

As was, I think it was a draw or a slight win by Obama.

I liked McCain's stance on nuclear.

I liked that Obama spelled out his health insurance plan with some more detail than in the last debate.

McCain's biggest screw up for me was when he was asked about giving congress a hard date for fixing social security and medicare.

Obama went first and didn't answer the question.

McCain opened his answer by saying "I will answer the question" (chuckle). He then FAILED TO ANSWER THE QUESTION! He is an idiot. He had a great oportunity to score some serious points. Not only did he fail to score those points, he drew attention away from Obama's failure and onto his own.